WDW Recovery

I think the bilingual preferred would be one thing that would throw people off. And again, I think the pay is too low for the requirements. There are school bus driver shortages in a lot of areas as well and around here they are offering more than that to attract applicants.

1 Like

It’s only PT work… the wage is good for PT. Can’t live off PT though. Even FT, rent would take more than 50% of their pay for this area.

It makes sense though, bilingual is preferred in a lot of customer/guest facing jobs. And most job seekers know that preferred isn’t the same as required. That’s why they separate the categories.

Totally agree about the pay. The job market is very different than prepandemic and if you want people, especially good people, you have to pay better to attract candidates.

2 Likes

Not sure where you live, but where I live, most people are not bilingual and that is not a part of a job description unless a business is willing to pay them more. I’m a caseworker and work with a lot of families (right now around 80) and I only know English.

My DH has applied for jobs that list things as preferred and when he interviews, if he gets one, the preferred qualification becomes a reason not to hire. (He finds those job postings for months after his interview, so apparently they did not have another qualifying candidate).

1 Like

It does say bilingual is “preferred,” and also it’s worth noting that there is a sizable Hispanic community in Orlando (hence why that is preferred), many of whom are bilingual so it’s likely many of the applicants are bilingual anyway.

5 Likes

There are a lot of Spanish speaking guests too

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I was trying to say here.

1 Like

Oh I thought you meant Spanish speakers living here. :smirk::crazy_face: Miami is a biliterate city whereas San Antonio is only bilingual

1 Like

I’d be curious to see what the typical breakdown is by language spoken. At Disneyland Spanish is obviously a huge percentage. But WDW has a lot of European visitors as well (when there’s no pandemic lol).

2 Likes

Very true. I’ve heard many different languages over the years

1 Like

Knowing that housekeeping wages are lower than Universal make WDW hotel prices even more difficult to accept. IMO, there’s no excuse for Disney to not be paying competitive wages to CMs.

Why shouldn’t the most magical place on Earth be magical for the CMs too?

3 Likes

That’s Tusker House; Tiffins is a signature restaurant.

3 Likes

Excellent point. Disney’s granddaughter has been after the board for years to change their fiscal policies to reflect her grandfather’s vision and become more moral.

1 Like

I think the travel ban in particular has hit WDW’s staffing. Now that’s coming to an end, I’m really hopeful that things will start to get a bit more back to normal.

oh yes… all the foreign CMs at WS or anywhere have all been missing since the shutdown/reopening.

2 Likes

I just stayed in a five star hotel in Germany and there was no housekeeping. I’ve had to travel for work lately and none of the hotels have housekeeping unless it’s on request. I personally don’t mind, but if a lack of housekeeping would stop you from staying at Disney, it will probably stop you from traveling anywhere right now.

2 Likes

This is NOT Germany or Europe for that matter. It is WDW where you pay big bucks to be pampered. You expect that if you upgrade to intermediate or Premium resorts you will get more of that and not less. This is a theme park and NOT a European Hotel. Watching shows on international travel, I can believe the price that are paid for crap and NO services. Guess it is all in what you expect. At WDW I expect to get what I pay for and right now the use of not be able to hire enough staff is getting a little thin. If this does not bother you, then pay the money for less. If you got it flount it. :roll_eyes: :smirk: