WDW planning for a party of 9 (make that 12)

Day #3 (off day)… We slept in just a tad but the Disney adrenaline is still going strong. Everyone was pretty much up by 9am and we had a great day. And everyone is still getting along nicely which is a bonus. Im expecting some minor blowouts along the way, I mean its 12 people, 4 generations, and essentially 4 different families all living under the same roof. I cant expect love, peace and harmony for 9 days can I? I think the saving grace so far is im encouraging the group to split up and do different things whenever possible.

Anyway, Great Grandma cooked everyone breakfast and we pretty much hung by the pool all day. We also explored the clubhouse, did another small grocery run for some essentials we missed on the first run, had deli meat sandwiches, chips and pasta salad for lunch, and chicken cordon bleu for dinner (did i mention my Mil, aka “Great Grandma” is a wonderful Portuguese lady who lives and loves to cook for her family) Seriously, it brings her more pleasure to cook for us than go to the parks.

Oh and we purchased a used guitar via the “LetGo” app…??? Funny story, DD15 plays guitar and was sad she couldnt bring it so I decided to check out if there was anything local. Didnt want to spend alot and I was able to find one for $10 from someone who lived just 2 miles from where we are staying. I snuck out before dinner and picked it up and surprised her with it after dinner. She was “stoked” if thats still a thing…lol.

Finally, a few of us also hit up the Boardwalk tonight as the other half of the group went back up to the resort clubhouse. A while back i created a thread in chat about this trip and how i wanted to do something special in memory of my Mom and Dad who passed in 2016. (It was my Mom who passed shortly after Dad who left the note and some money in an envelope that said, “take the family to Disney like we did in years past”) So a liner suggested taking a picture of Mom and Dad and have a caricature made. So we had one made at the Boardwalk tonight right next to where my Granddaughter was having her hair wrapped. (Many years ago we took my DD, who is now 30, to the Boardwalk for the first time with my parents and she had her hair wrapped for the first time. So she is passing down a Disney tradition to her daughter)

13 Likes

What great memories! A little pixie dust fell into my eye reading this last update too, I love that no tradition or family member is forgotten. Looking forward to reading how the rest of the trip goes.

3 Likes

:cry: Well that washed what ever was in my eye out.

3 Likes

Have this very saying as a wall mural in my living room right above a picture of us at Spirit of Aloha. I’ll see if i can find a pic of it in my phone and post it here. That saying has deep meaning in my family. Also Joe, im still hoping for that meet up but times will be veey close. From the looks of things we may have quite a few food/essentials left over on 6/26. I’ll check in with you as the date nears. If you dont need anything im going to look into donating some things to a local food kitchen or see of GKTW may accept food/supply donations.

2 Likes

We won’t need any perishable food just stuff like chips and light snacks, but if part of your party is driving back I’m sure they can use it.

Hadnt factored in my Bil who will be driving back taking some things but we’ll touch base on whats left before you arrive.

1 Like

Day 4 EPCOT day… Today was our Epcot Day. We had ppo adr @ GG. Everyone got up on time and we at the gates by 7:30am. We were the first family to arrive @ the GG but nothing special happened other than we saw about 10 other families get seated before us. Seems they needed extra time to accommodate the large group. Regardless, breakfast and character interaction was wonderful. Great grandma stuffed her purse with wrapped up sticky buns and Mickey waffles on the way out. Lol… Nothing goes to waste in this family.

Got everyone on Soarin with no wait and 1/2 the group rode a 2nd time with no wait as well. The other 1/2 rode Lwtl (great grandma and grandma wasnt having a 2nd go around on Soarin. Not big fans. Lol) Wasnt sure how Dgd4 was going to handle it but turns out she is a thrill seeker. Then off to Ana and Elsa M&G with maybe a 5 minute wait @ 9:30-9:45. Then it was FEA with a posted 20 min wait. (More like 10 min) We had to trick great grandma to get on this one by saying it was a peaceful boatride.(we failed to mention the small drop) the picture was priceless. We had the boat to ourselves except for the 2 strangers in the front row. Everyone of us has a huge smile except for the grandma’s. Lol

After Norway we had our first fpp for TT. Dgd4 confirmed she was going to be my thrill seeking Disney buddy for years to come when after the ride she said “Papa, can we do it again?” Unlike my Bil on Avatar this Papa couldn’t say no so we swapped some bands with great grandma, grandma, and Godmother as they sat out the ride anyway.

Then off to Character spot fpp and got some great pics. Overall we must of got well over 150 photo pass photos at Epcot today. If there was any doubt whether or not Memory Maker was worth it, all those doubts have been cast aside. Well worth it.
We took individual family shots, entire groups, just the kids, kids with great grandma, etc… Never felt rushed and we simply went into each shot announced as a group of 12. Took less time than 4 individual families would have spent in reality so i never felt we were hogging time.

From there we went to Turtle talk, spent some time in the Seas aquarium area and then hit up Nemo. Finally we used our 3rd fpp at spaceship earth before calling for our midday break. Ended up leaving the park about 2:00-2:30 and back at the home by about 3-3:30. about an hour after the TP had predicted (same amount of time we overshot on our first park day at AK) seems even though i slow the pace on the TP and add in the breaks here and there it just wasnt enough. Lots of gift shop browsing and seeking a.c. comfort slows us down. Not an issue but something to note if you are are planning a more strict TP.

Back for the midday break great grandma and godmother made steaks, lamb chops, rice, french fries, and we had some left over pasta salad to accompany

some swam after dinner, some napped and then we headed back to Epcot for 7pm. We headed to World showcase and made our way back to America via the Canada route and headed to the Gaurdians of the Galaxy stage show for 8pm and everyone loved it. I realize it doesn’t get great reviews but i couldnt disagree more. The music was fantastic. We had our first little hiccup of the trip after the show as my nephew slipped on wet ground after the show and got a decent gash across his brow area. After calming him down and getting him to first aid and fixed up we caught illuminations via fpp area a little after it started.

We waited most of the crowd out in that fpp area and then made a very very slow stroll to the front. Didnt actually exit the park til like 10:30-11:00 and didnt get home til midnight after stopping off and getting some medical supplies for my nephew.

After everyone was settled and nestled my son in law and I got late munchies and made a Mickey D’s run… Hey, im on vacation and our waiter at GG said Disney is so magical their food has no calories… “Until you get home that is”…

12 Likes

Loving your report. I am happy to hear you switched out Magic Bands to get more rides, that’s in my plans as well. Also somehow I have to keep my group out of the shops.

1 Like

I am loving your trip report! You have done so much work planning this amazing trip for your family and it is paying off! And I absolutely adore the caricature of your parents. What a great idea. Can’t wait to read the rest!

1 Like

Also amazed that you secured that many FOP FPs for 9am being off site!! How’d you do that?!?

1 Like

Good luck. My advice on that one is dont even try. Let them meander and just be prepared to drop 1 attraction or show off the TP. Try and spread out the “Must Do’s” so they are not back to back on the TP. Every now and then stick in something that if you have to drop, its no big loss.

3 Likes

PM me sometime.

What a great picture of space ship earth, but what’s up with the couple ruining the shot (some people am I right). All kidding aside that is a great shot and if it was me that would go on my desk at work (but I don’t have a desk or a job :slightly_frowning_face: )

You need to do a run down of who is in these big family photos. EX: First row son, daughter, grand daughter, wife ect…

1 Like

Left to Right…Bil, my wife(grandma), Bil’s wife, Son-in-law, DD30, Sister-in-law(Godmother), Me(Papa), Great Grandma, DD15, and in front of them its neice, nephew, and my Precious Grandaughter

2 Likes

Day #5 (off day)… Had no plans for today after a long Epcot day yesterday. Slept in, late breakfast, and 1/2 the group wanted to hit up a few stores. So we hit up a couple of outlet strip malls and everyone got new sneakers at the Nike clearance store. DW got 5 pairs :slight_smile:

Later in the afternoon DD30 surprised me with H2O glow tix beginning at 6pm. So Great Grandma cooked up some burgers, dogs, and potato salad and we ate. Took a swim and a nap and then off to Typhoon Lagoon for DD15, DD30, Dgd4, Son-in-law, and myself.

H2O glow night review… Party time is 8-11pm however party guests are allowed in at 6pm. We arrived at 7pm and the first thing i will say is the time flew by. Really wish we would of showed up at 6pm.

Upon entering we grabbed a locker for valuables and i headed straight to the Joffreys cart for the mini donuts with chocolate dipping sauce. Delicious!!! Tip: this cart closes early. Went back after 8pm and it was closed

Then we headed straight to the stage where the DJ/Dance Party was set up and looked for some chairs to lay our towels and such.

From there we took a walk to childrens play area in the back of the park. Ive been to this park several times but never had a reason to visit the kids area as my kids were not little. This time Dgd4 was the focus. She loved this area and could have spent all night here.

We hit the family raft rides and decided to head back to the beach party. Lots of fun dancing and party games. Came in 4th place for balloon toss. Then grabbed some food. I had the cuban cheesburger which i believe was exclusive to the party. Party itself had its own menu. Cuban sandwich was really good.

Had the opportunity to take photopass pics with Woody, Jesse, Buzz, and “Forky” (FYI, Forky is just a prop)

All in all a good night. I would recommend the H2O glow night based on low crowds and cool feet alone (walking on that pavement at night vs. the day is like… Well, …night and day.

10 Likes

Thanks for this report! Were there other littles? I read one report saying it was oddly quiet and felt a little creepy at glow night. Would you agree?

1 Like

Such sweet pictures of your granddaughter. Those dimples! :heart_eyes: So great you found a thrill seeker Disney buddy!

1 Like

There were other littles but not overwhelming. We didnt find it creepy but i can understand how some may say that. Some pathways are darker than others and with lower crowds you can find yourself walking down a dimly path alone.

2 Likes

Day #6 was MK w/EMM. Left the house at 6:30am and we were at the TTC, parked, and waiting for a monorail/ferry by 7am. And even that was too late to get us into Fantasyland by 7:45. I must say i really think Disney needs to do something about this. They only run the resort monorail prior to 8am and wont fully load it to keep space for the resorts it stops at along the way. (which nobody got on) We had to wait for 2 monorails before being allowed to board. Then once in the park you head to fantasy land and they only have 2 CM’s scanning your bands for breakfast ADR’s and EMM guests which was all backed up. Once scanned your then sent to another CM to put on the band. Really nothing stopping an ADR guest from walking up to the CM administaring bands and getting one. No real line either, just a bunch of guests gathered around one CM. I thought we made good time by being in line at the TTC 45 minutes prior to start and we didnt get to our first ride until 8am.

Regardless the EMM was hectic for my group. My plan going in was to just let everyone split up with their individual groups and do their own thing for 75 minutes and then everyone meet up for breakfast. Some wanted to eat first, some had no clue where to go and wandered aimlessly, some didnt realize they could meet princesses… Poor planning on my part for expecting them to understand how it worked. Then at 9am (regular RD) some wanted to head to Frontierland, some wanted tomorrowland, some wanted to RD rides i already had FPP’s for… It was a mess. But we had fun and got some great picures.

We all met up by 10am at Rays for breakfast and lets just say we got our moneys worth. I liked the old EMM breakfast they had at PVH 1,000 times better. This was basic Mcdonalds breakfast but it did the trick. The strwaberry smoothies were a big hit and i didnt even know they were included. You just have to ask.

After breakfast we headed to EtwB. Never done it before and we had a blast. All 4 kids had a role and i was picked to be a guard. Then it was off to fpp#1 Jungle Cruise. It was getting hot early and i could tell i was losing my group just on the walk from Fantasyland to Adventureland. Had a great cruise then called an audible and ditched tiki room since we were already running behind TP schedule. Plus fpp#2 was up and it was PoC. From there we did Country Bears in memory of my Dad (his favorite attraction) he used to love interacting with the bears when they were sometimes out front of the attraction. Fpp#3 was HM and 1/2 the group wanted to skip it and go home since it was so hot out. (97 w/ real feel of 105+). It was only 12:30 and i had BoG ressie for 1:40 (wasnt using the BoG reasie to eat but more for a place to sit down, drink and maybe try some of the desserts) i knew if i could get them inside i could charge their batteries enough to make it to the parade which was my ultimate goal.

I felt the mutiny a coming as they broke off into different groups and seemed to be plotting against me LOL, but i got them inside BoG and pre ordered drinks and cupcakes and they seemed to be recharged. After BoG they decided they each wanted to do something different and meet in the front after the parade.

I must say by 3pm i myself was toast. I now understand what y’all mean by Florida being “surface of the sun hot” in summer. Made it to the parade, gathered everyone afterwards, hopped on the ferry, back to the car, and was in our pool by 4:30. (I didnt even take my clothes off and change into my trunks) in one continuous motion i merely walked in the front door, emptied my pockets on the kitchen table, slipped my sandals off, walked out the back door and just jumped in.

Anyway, we swam, napped, showered, ate and i was surprised most of the group wanted to go back for fireworks and a couple more rides. Only Great Grandma and Godmother stayed behind. So i booked a table for 1 at the Wave and we parked at the Contemporary. No way i was going through that TTC process again. We were back in the park for 8:15ish. Everyone split up and hit different rides that they asked for as 4th fpp’s before we left in the afternoon, we watched HEA from different spots then we hit BTMRR and Splash while DD30 and DgD4 went to Dumbo and speedway. Everyone took seperate photopass pictures afterwards and did some shopping in the emporium before we met back up out front afterwards.

Hub was packed for HEA as usual but everyone said they enjoyed it. Some from main st, some from frontierland and we watched from CP steps. Walking back to Contemporary was much better than the TTC and we were back home by 11:30.

Overall we left a ton of rides, shows, attractions on the table. Items i had scheduled but had to drop due to the group just being sluggish, hot, and wanting to stop and browse throughout the day… IASW, laugh floor, Move it shake dance party, Tiki room, magic carpets, and philharmagic. Again, i will say i needed to plan for this large/diverse group much differntly in the future. I thought my plan was relaxed enough but it wasnt even close.

If i had to do it all again i would make some changes. #1. i would still do the EMM but not for the entire group. I would only do the EMM for those who were going to take advantage of the rides and simply make an ADR for the rest of the group. #2. I wouldnt push them all the way to the parade before the midday break. #3. I would pay to valet at Contemporary prior to park opening to avoid the whole TTC fiasco. #4. I’d add a 5-10 minute break after each attraction on the TP to accomodate for the sluggishness, heat, and browsing.

Heres some pics from Day #6

9 Likes

Does anyone know if this is possible without a dining reservation? And if you do have a reservation and “miss” it, are you charged $10 per person (hence dining for 1)? Is there another way to bypass the TTC without being sneaky?