WDW is good for your mental health

Specifically AK.

4 Likes

Yes, as long as you have the right expectations. Arriving during Xmas and New Years and not expecting massive crowds could increase your anxiety.

1 Like

There is so much wrong with this article on so many levels, I don’t even know where to start.

But how about here: “That’s exactly what I did during a recent press trip to the park.” Already, we know she didn’t pay for it, and had special access. This is a paid advert for WDW.

There are lots of reasons to go to WDW, but experiencing nature is not one of them. If you want to do that, you can go to a local zoo or better yet, a National or State Park, for a fraction of the cost of a trip to WDW.

I love WDW, and I love nature. But AK is about as natural as Via Napoli is Italian.

5 Likes

Are you saying that when I’m on KS, I’m NOT actually transported to Africa???

Or are you, instead, telling us how Via Napoli is the same as eating in Italy???

:wink:

How about the first sentence. “Medicine is a science — undeniably and unequivocally.”

Um. Sorry, folks. Medicine is not a science (not in the way the author means). There are so many nuances and unknowns, it is most definitely just as much art as science…otherwise we really wouldn’t need doctors! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, it’s a science, but its application is an art.

I remember being on a general medicine rotation with another intern who had a genuine mental breakdown because he couldn’t handle the nuances. Things were not at all as clear-cut as they were in the textbooks and labs, and he was afraid he’d kill someone because of the wrong “guess”. Well, we’re all afraid of that, but at some point decisions must be made.

After getting out of the hospital, he transferred out of internal medicine and into radiology. I’m not sure there’s any less uncertainty there, but at least. he wasn’t directly responsible for patients.

2 Likes

This applies to some nurses I’ve met as well.

This article is ridiculous though.

And - planning for WDW has cause me more anxiety than actually being here could possibly undo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Right!
We’d all be relaxed if we were on a press trip, wouldn’t we?

2 Likes

I have known WDW is good for mental health for a while now. That is why I crave going! Now, I don’t have kids to worry about, and I generally go during lower-crowd times. When I’m there, I think of nothing but Disney World, and am the most stress free I can ever be. That is why I pay the $$$ to go every couple years!

1 Like

Well, we can figure this out scientifically. How about the person who wrote the article take a blind sampling of the everyone here on these forums (because, you know…the forums here represent the greater population who goes to WDW exactly) and send them to Disney World.

2 Likes

I want to CHOOSE to believe the article. Maybe I can believe it into being true.

1 Like

This sounds like a reasonable study to me. And, they’re going to need a huge sample size to control for all the other variables found in this particular writer- age, sex, race, whether she has kids, how tall she is, favorite color, etc. etc.

Probably they’ll need to send all of us. Just to be sure.

4 Likes

Definitely.

All in the name of science, of course.

3 Likes

Interesting take from everyone. We all WDW but it is stressful- not just the planning but the crowds, lines, making it on time to your FPP. I suppose walking around an empty Epcot or AK would be relaxing but that’s just a fantasy.

2 Likes

I didn’t read the article but I hope it is true. I am counting on it being true. We just had to have our almost 17 yr old cat (the kitty Ella of my name here) put to sleep last Sat. I’ve never done that before and it’s been pretty awful for me, as the main caregiver to a very sick pet for more than half a year, and to our kids who were blindsided by how quickly it happened. I am counting on “the bubble” to take us away from all that for awhile. I think it will be the best thing for us right now…I just have to stop looking at pics and videos of Ella long enough to get the packing etc. done. I am so far behind now I don’t even know if I can catch up.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s strange how these little furry beasts wiggle their way into our lives, isn’t it?- and give us so much enjoyment in the short time they have with us. I’ve always had pets, even when I wasn’t supposed to- (gerbils in the dorm, for example). Even though it’s heartbreaking when they leave us.

I think that you WILL find some peace of mind, or at least a distraction, at WDW. The reason why we are beating up on the article is that the author stated it was relaxing because there’s so. much nature there, and nature has the power to heal us, emotionally. Disney is a lot of wonderful things, but “natural” is just not one of them.

That DOESN’T mean I think Disney lacks the ability to help a person’s mental or emotional health. It’s the Happiest Place On Earth, of course it does! Lots of people vacation there to reminisce, to share, to forget their troubles, hopefully you will, too. It’s just odd that the writer of the story emphasized the nature angle, is all.

God bless you and your little Ella. :broken_heart:

Just lost my cat a week ago. I had to have her put to sleep. I think I know how you feel. Anyway I’m sorry to hear about your cat. I hope the trip helps.

I’m so sorry about your kitty.

1 Like