WDW face mask policy change

I hope that’s not true

2 Likes

Universal felt almost like pre-pandemic this week other than masks indoors. No distancing, masses of people, no masks outdoors, etc. But that said, I really look forward to when it’s safe to not wear a mask indoors, which I do think could be soon. Probably not quite yet though.

1 Like

It’s official. Vaccinated people won’t have to wear masks inside at Universal starting tomorrow.

7 Likes

I feel like it’s too soon. :frowning: But I and my kids are fully vaxxed so not worried about us - just general spread.

@Jeff_AZ Honestly, early April at UOR felt like pre-pandemic except masks were required everywhere. I had to laugh when UOR announced they were changing physical distancing from 6 ft. to 3 ft. There was no 6 foot distancing going on (to speak of) that I could see!

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m traveling solo in August and I am fully vaccinated so I’m not concerned about me at all. But if I had children who are too young to get vaccinated or somebody who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons? It would definitely be a concern. The thing is, Universal can say it’s their policy for “fully vaccinated” people but we all know there is no enforcement and 99% of people will not be wearing masks indoors once the policy goes into effect.

I am interested to see how Disney responds. I feel like they might at least wait until after Memorial weekend but maybe not? Maybe they’ll make another 10pm announcement tonight. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I would not be surprised if there are more vaccinated people wearing masks inside than unvaccinated people. It is, unfortunately, making me start to question our July trip with DS10. I hope things improve enough by then for us to feel comfortable going.

5 Likes

This is part that I find problematic. While it is true that VACCINATED people not wearing masks should be okay, but how many people who are NOT vaccinated will take advantage of this opportunity? Probably a lot…and the trouble is those with kids under 12 have no recourse for their kids (other than their kids wearing masks) since there is no approved vaccine yet.

It really is no problem wearing the masks indoors. I just think they should have waited longer.

It is what it is, of course. But those with kids who can’t be vaccinated, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them decide to postpone trips as a result. But with crowds as big as they are, I don’t think UOR will suffer for it.

10 Likes

I could not agree more.

4 Likes

I shared similar concerns on a WDW centered Facebook group when the outdoor mask requirements were lifted and indicated that I knew people that were cancelling/postponing their trips because of concern for their <12 children.

I was laughed at.

They lambasted me for even suggesting that anyone might be concerned and insisted that I lied about people cancelling as they were all “so excited” to get back to “normal.”

Made me appreciate the civil discourse we all have here even more! :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

If they get rid of the indoors mask requirement I will be canceling my June trip with DD6. And I will be really upset. I’m here now and compliance is pretty good and it is not a big deal at all to wear the mask indoors. Not having to wear it outdoors makes a big difference in comfort and heat. Until kids can be vaccinated, I don’t see why everyone can’t just wear a freakin mask.

Now I’m scrambling to try and think of somewhere we could go instead for a vacation. I know my daughter will be crushed.

7 Likes

If one comes from the premise that plenty of data shows covid not that big a deal for kids and that there are far fewer sources of transmission around them now, then this is a reasonable change. If one comes from the premise that vaccination is the only way for a child to be safe, then this will look premature or even reckless. We all have our opinions by now. Regardless of my personal opinions, I feel horrible for those who feel blindsided by this and hope there’s a solution that makes them feel comfortable.

6 Likes

There is emerging data that the emerging more contagious strains are much more dangerous for children.

6 Likes

We are fully vaccinated. We leave tomorrow and arrive Monday. We will be wearing masks inside in all parks and possibly outside if it’s crowded. It’s too soon and I personally don’t feel comfortable around people much anymore and particularly if they are not wearing a mask. Also, in solidarity with anyone else who is wearing a mask.

I’m going to be very cynical here now. Most of the people who are NOT vaccinated will NOT be wearing masks. Most of the adults wearing mask are likely fully vaccinated (or in the process). This is based on observation and the psychology of non-vaxxers mostly. If someone isn’t wearing a mask you will not know if they are vaccinated or are lying. If someone is wearing a mask at least you know the are concerned for others.

I really feel for you that have unvaccinated children.

10 Likes

Well, if a child under 12 isn’t wearing a mask, you will know they are unvaccinated for sure.

4 Likes

That was my implication. Yes.

I had to go into a department store the other day unexpectedly. It was mostly empty and I was masked. I managed to not have a panic attack. Barely. I don’t like unexpected right now. I don’t care if we are the only 2 wearing masks inside. We will.

3 Likes

We will wear them as long as my daughter needs to. Also don’t care if we’re the only ones. She is one of three out of 25 kids in her class still wearing a mask at school. I really appreciate those other families.

5 Likes

WDW has historically press released whether they will follow Universal’s policies regarding masks within 24 hours, so I guess we’ll find out soon if they plan to do the same.

Agree. I think that overall we are going headlong into normalcy in a way that is going to backfire. Baby steps would be better. We just got rid of masks in outdoor spaces. Let that settle a moment, assess the impact (if any) and then move forward slowly. Alas, humans are impatient beings.

12 Likes

My hunch, which means nothing, says no this time, just due to so many more kids under 12 vs UOR, so that may be a bigger factor for WDW to balance.

3 Likes

Especially in Florida. Where mask resistance has been particularly… strong.

I’m sorry. This shouldn’t be. At all.

6 Likes