Water parks worth a visit?

Are water parks worth a visit? We’ll be bringing 13 yr old who swims like a fish(!) and 8 yr old who has no fear but can only swim a width of a pool comfortably. Hubby and I aren’t too worried about it but would like some opinions of anyone who’s been please? Can our boys go on slides etc with us watching or do we have to do the slides too?

We love Typhoon Lagoon. Best wave pool ever (you would definitely want to be near your 8 year old though). I don’t think there would be issues with your boys doing slides without you given their ages.

2 Likes

I absolutely thought I was a person who wouldn’t care about water parks at WDW, but free passes were included as part of a MVT package so we gave Typhoon Lagoon a try in May. It was SOOO fun! DH and I rode Miss Adventure falls several times with our 8yr old and it was a blast. He loved the wave pool, too, but we did need to kinda hold on to him during the big waves. It was one of the best days of the trip and so relaxing compared to the crowds in the main parks. I don’t know that it’s a “must-do” for all future trips, but we’ll definitely do it again!

1 Like

We’ve been to WDW 3 times but never done a water park b/c we always came in winter. My tentative plan for a future trip is summer specifically to do those water parks and also Volcano Bay at Universal. Some regular park touring too, but water parks and hotel pools would be the main attraction. I think it would be a much more relaxing vacation than the one we just had.

You’re also from the UK right? We always do the water parks, and when this question comes up you very often get an international divide where UK people always do them and US people are less keen. Probably Americans have shorter trips on average, so don’t want to give up park time. I would definitely do one of them. But bear in mind that they can be exhausting, all those stairs to climb and not much refuge from the sun. We usually leave in the early afternoon and just crash till dinner time.

1 Like

Volcano Bay is brilliant!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, yes we’re coming from the UK and have 14 day Disney tickets so both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach will be included. It’s just a case of deciding which one(!), but TL has good feedback on here so far.

1 Like

Both parks have things going for them, but if you can’t do both then I’d recommend typhoon lagoon. The theming is just so much nicer and there’s a bit more shade. Have a look at the attractions for both though, you may find that blizzard beach has more stuff for your kids to do, depending on age.

Also, if you do typhoon lagoon, keep hold of your 8 year old in the shallow end of the wave pool, even at around knee height. The waves are seriously powerful, and my daughter got knocked over and dragged on her back for about 2 metres. The floor is very rough and she’s still got scars 4 years later

1 Like

When my family went to Disney World for the first time, my kids were 12 and 9. At the end of the trip, our kids said Typhoon Lagoon was their favorite day. That being said, we would go back and do it all over again! Definitely be careful in the wave pool though as it is powerful. Have a blast!

Adding that the 8 year old should be fine on the slides, but I would be with BOTH in wave pool. The only slide us old folk didn’t love was the Humunga Kowabunga as it goes straight down! Should the kids want to do that one, I suggest making sure they have coverage on their back. My son’s back got cut up. He was fine though and it didn’t ruin his day.

1 Like

We did a half day at Blizzard Beach and it was by far the best water park I’ve ever been to. The theming was amazing and clever (dripping fans, for example, to keep walk ways cool). I’m not a thrill ride person but rode everything but the large drop slide and had a blast. Unlike some water parks I’ve been to, I felt very secure and safe on all the rides.

My only complaint is that despite reapplying sunscreen, we got sunburned. We considered doing H20 Glow Nights in our upcoming trip to try out Typhoon Lagoon with less sun, but can’t fit it into our schedule during our next trip.

2 Likes

The worst sunburn I’ve ever had was at Blizzard Beach. All the white is reflective, that’s the only reason I can think of. I haven’t got burnt at other water parks.

So glad to hear you liked it!!! Was hoping for typhoon lagoon but only BB us open when we are there! My kid needs a do-over…she loves water parks but our last trip to a local park she tripped and broke her arm! Too late in the season to go back so I told her we would go I. Our WDW trip

I assume we can wear our magic bands and just pay for things with these? (Thinking towel rental). Are the restaurants classed as a counter service credit or do we have to pay for food in water parks?

Yep to magic bands, and most food there is either a counter service or snack credit

We have done both Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon. Our kids absolutely loved them both. I personally felt that BB had the perfect sized slides for my 5 year old (at the time) and felt like she could have done them without us being in the water with her. We try to do at least one day in the water parks each trip (and slightly prefer BB over TL).

I would also recommend taking an Uber/Lyft to the water parks…the bus system seems to take forever in the morning, as they don’t run as many to the water parks.

1 Like

You can definitely pay for things with your magic bands. FYI, towels are included if you are staying onsite (unless they have changed the policy again). You just tell them where you are staying. I think they scanned my magic band but not sure.

Awesome thanks everyone. I didn’t realise we might get towels included - we do get them at Yacht Club where we’re staying so hopefully that’s the case for water parks. I’ll check out bus times when we’re there and keep Uber etc in mind. I like the look of BB but the sunburn point might be an issue as we’re going in August… Hmmmm…

A big YES for the water parks! My family loves both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, with a slight preference for Blizzard Beach because we like slides more than wave pool. Our practice is to do the water park on our very last day, because even if you leave early afternoon, you will be EXHAUSTED. We all can barely walk the next day. So usually we book an evening flight out of Orlando, and on that last day we go to the water park from opening until about 3pm.

Like you, my kids are all 5 years apart, and what we really love about the water parks is that everyone really enjoys the same things.

Have fun!

2 Likes

This is why this year I’m trying H2O Glow Nights.

3 Likes

We went to BB on our trip in April 2017 and it was the best, most relaxing day we’ve ever had at WDW! Our DD went and rode everything while DH and I went around the lazy river a few times. We’d definitely do it again if we went during a warmer month than December.

1 Like