Water parks — how do I avoid certain death?

I’ve always wanted to try an Orlando water park. Two things have put me off. When I’ve visited in the summer it’s been too hot and I’ve worried about sunburn. When I’ve visited in the winter it’s been too cold. Is March the sweet spot?

But how do I avoid dying from sun death? I have an SPF 50 t-shirt. Is it weird to wear that in the water? I have water shoes. Can you wear those everywhere?

I’m planning on rope-dropping and only staying a few hours, so I’m thinking the sun won’t be too brutal.

1 Like

Some people appreciate a man keeping his shirt on.

13 Likes

It’s not weird, lots of people do it. You usually have to take water shoes off to do slides. Sometimes you leave them at the bottom, some they let you hold on the slide.

2 Likes

Looks like you’ll have upper 50’s for lows and low 80’s for highs on your trip. It may be a little chilly in the mornings. It would be best to go mid day, but I know you work then. It should warm up to the low 70’s fairly quick in the mornings.

You could go right to the heated water and stay there for a while. The big pool or the rivers. Last year when it was 72 out, I guessed the Fearless River temp was 86. We stayed in and enjoyed it for a long while. The attractions that require shoes to be taken off have the holders at the entrance, at VB anyway. So just keep your eyes open for them. It’s mainly the tube slides and wicked stuff.

3 Likes

My husband has worn a water shirt for over 20 years. It’s just so much easier than so much sunscreen.
My young adult sons skip them for yard swimming, but wear them for water parks and cruises.
Some slides may Not allow them??? Maybe? I know NCL cruise line didn’t allow on drop floor slide.

4 Likes

Rash guards are extremely common, for all ages and genders. My boys are so used to wearing them with their trunks they usually end up with them on for indoor pools too (even in the dead of winter when going outside isn’t remotely an option). It’s just their swimming apparel :slight_smile:

Way easier and more effective than dealing with sunscreen on large areas of the body!

3 Likes

Are you saying I’m fat?

1 Like

Even I don’t like to look at myself without a shirt on. And mostly not even then.

1 Like

I’ve read that VB looks amazing after dark. Not sure if that’s going to be feasible for us in summer (what time it gets dark Vs park hours). Might be feasible in March. Worth a shot maybe.

Even my scrawny kids take a lot of sunscreen to effectively cover their torso :joy: so no, not commenting on anyone body size

I found water shoes help prevent the bottom of my feet from burning on the too hot pavement. Blizzard bch was the worst.

1 Like

Blizzard Beach is horrible for getting sunburnt too.

1 Like

Same with the kid in our house except it’s long sleeve rash guard and pants, too. I actually can’t recall there ever being a sunburn. :thinking:

We’re planning to do BB and TL in late August. I was just reading a BB FAQ from some blog that said you can wear water shoes on the attractions.

1 Like

We vacation at the beach every summer, and my husband wears sunscreen and a water shirt, as did both my sons, at least until recently. Last summer my teen ditched his shirt last trip AND skipped sunscreen, and boy was he sorry! We are also hat and sunglasses people, even in the water. You may or may not be allowed to wear these things on the slides, but even so, I don’t think you’ll be out of place wearing them around the water parks. I hope you go and have fun! Take a ride on a lazy river for me, please :relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true of all the slides though. I’m sure you have to remove them and leave them on the really big slides.

2 Likes

Yes. You definitely can’t wear them on Summit Plummet for example. But the last time we were there you could wear them to the top and hold them on the slide.

2 Likes