Was I right to pass?

I’m going on a solo trip next September / October. (Yes, yes, I haven’t even taken the February trip yet and yes I did vow not to plan any more trips until I paid off the debt from the previous ones, but there’s a Facebook group planning a group trip and maybe I can meet up with them, or not. But it’s an option.) I’ve been shopping prices. I saw that a Value Studio at AK through a DVC rental would cost the same as Pop, pretty much. But there were none available.

For $100 more I can stay at OKW. Ultimately I didn’t do it. My reasoning was :
A) Pop will be more convenient with regards to transportation
B) I’m going alone and do not need extra space
C) I need to stop justifying purchases by sayi g it’s only $100. Every time I do that ten times it’s $1,000. It’s less the $100 and more the mindset that’s important. I need to stop finding reasons not to stick to a budget.

All that said, am I missing out by not going to OKW?

2 Likes

I haven’t stayed at OKW, but I think you did the right thing. I know how easy it is to slowly increase your budget, and suddenly you realize you are spending way more than you planned. Pop is a great price, and I think it has nice amenities for a value resort. You’ll have a great time! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s funny you say that about moving budget around. I think sometimes when I pay the balance early with Disney, I more apt to keep adding things like, “Oh, let’s stay another night”, or “Let’s add ______ (fill in the blank)”. But if I wait a bit, the shock value of a Disney trip bottom line keeps me more in check. Strange how that happens :wink:

3 Likes

I loved it at OKW and will happily stay there again.

That said, for me solo trips are done “on the cheap” so I would not want to spend more than I had to. I also agree that Pop is better for convenient transportation. And I also feel that the DVC accommodations really shine most when there is more than one person staying in the room.

I love Pop and wish it were affordable for my upcoming solo trip. But it’s not.

All this to say, for this trip I think you made the right choice.

3 Likes

I have never travelled to WDW solo, but I’m certain I would go for the cheapest room with the most convenient transportation, and Pop is probably it right now. By myself, I would only be in the room to sleep, I would be doing rope drop until park close. The only upgrade I would consider on location is if I could get Epcot area for not TOO much more than Pop, because I like walking instead of waiting for buses.

4 Likes

Agreed. When I’m lounging in January it will be… in a lounge.

In fact I’m wondering if I really need park tickets LOL. Except for the Sacred Space the rest of the lounges and dining I’m after is outside of parks.

I can just roll home

4 Likes

i’ve had the exact thoughts while planning my first solo trip. you made a great choice with pop, for all the reasons everyone has stated. i understand that pull of going for something else because it’s just a bit more money. it’s hard to resist sometimes! having stayed at pop alone, it’s a great size for one person and perfect for a solo trip!

2 Likes

When I go to DLR with my family, DH always insists on staying on-site (which is inline with the deluxe prices at WDW), but when I go solo or with a friend we go on the cheap. I just can’t justify the cost for just me. It “feels” like a better value when there are 4 of us vs. 1 or 2. I have to imagine I would be the same at WDW. My one trip to WDW (with a friend) we stayed at Pop and I would happily stay there again.

1 Like

I agree you made the right choice! I totally agree that the Deluxe resorts are designed to make parties of 4+ feel more comfortable. You really don’t need a villa or even a studio for one person. Pop will have everything you need. Plus you’ll have convenient access to the Skyliner.

Also, it is important to know when breaking your budget is mere frugality vs. jeopardizing your financial security. Each person is the best judge for what they themselves can afford. It sounds like you are feeling a healthy sense of restraint.

1 Like