Walking speed first time without stroller

We are going for the first time without a stroller this summer. Before, I always set our walking speeds on our TPs on relaxed knowing that my DH and I walked much faster than that. It built in little time cushions all day long so it was never a problem when we needed bathroom breaks, etc. I know we will be slower now that the kids are walking too, but I am debating what walking speed to use. If I put it on very relaxed, it seems ridiculous in terms of estimates of times it will take us to walk from one place to another. But I do want to estimate a little slower than I think we will actually go so that I still have a bit of a cushion. I’m tempted to be hopeful and keep in on relaxed knowing it won’t leave me nearly as much of a cushion as it did in the past, but I also want to be realistic in my expectations. I want us walking with a purpose but not them feeling like I am rushing them all day long. For context, we are all very active and there are no mobility issues in our group. For those who transitioned from stroller trips to everyone walking, what walking speed did you set your TPs on? Are the walking speed options listed on TPs defined anywhere (like 15 min/mile, 25 min/mile, etc.)?

You could keep it set to relaxed and add in a 10 minute break every hour or a 15 minute break every couple of hours.

2 Likes

I’d leave it at relaxed. You don’t say how old your kids are, but there will be times when they are taking off in front of you, just as there are times they’ll be lagging behind. Also, you don’t have a stroller to park and unpark, which is a little bit of a time-saver.

2 Likes

I do not find having no stroller to slow us down. Quite the opposite. So I think you are good to leave it as is without adjustment

1 Like

When are you going and how old are your kids? When I took DD9 on a mother daughter trip with her dance studio, it was amazing without a stroller! She can really move and kept up well, we were getting so much done! And then at around 2pm on our first full day she started showing signs of heat exhaustion. So she could keep up but she shouldn’t have. We were there in June. That was my mom fail-learn from my mistake! Walk slower in the heat than they “can”!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I can’t imagine it being faster without a stroller but your responses give me hope. We will definitely try to set and keep a pace with the full day in mind. I’m going to keep our TPs set on relaxed for now and hope that gives us enough time plus a little cushion.

1 Like