Voltage converter

Does anyone know if I need to take a voltage converter to charge my phone/ tablet etc from UK?

We just use regular travel adapters, but ones that have ports (not sure this is the right word!) for phones/iPad.

I don’t remember seeing any 220 plugs in any of the hotels. Unless your appliances have converters built in (some can use either power with the flip of a switch), then I would take my converter. Voltage in the U.S. is 110

Check the power ratings on your iDevice plugs - most of them operate on worldwide voltages, so all you would need is a plug adapter instead of a voltage converter.

1 Like

I.got travel converters in US for in Europe. Check places that sell luggage.

Hi

We’re from the UK

No you don’t, just use your regular charging plug and a US adaptor, depends on the size of your family but we take one of these bad boys Amazon Charger and then you need some of these Amazon USA Plug

We also have a couple of these Power bank

We pack the charger in the main suitcase and the power bank of that size is okay to carry on.

The Plug you can buy there, we got some from Publix supermarket.

Regards

Paul

1 Like

DOUBLE CHECK - we are actually in London at the moment (from US) and we needed a converter for my son’s DS gaming device. VAST majority of items only require an adaptor and not a converter - but just double check,

Our computer / phones / iPads / curling iron etc all work with just an Adaptor and not a converter though.

I would suggest that you order from online if you need something. I scouring London - NO ONE has a converter - with the exception of MAPLIN

Hi

I’m intrigued what is the DS device that needs a convertor, is it very old?

Regards

Paul

not too old 4 or 5 years at the most

Hi

I’m really surprised you need more than a plug adaptor on this.

As you say best to check the power supply you are using, I can however vouch for a trip from the UK to the USA the power supply I’ve suggested will work with the types of devices in the OP post. We travelled extensively with it around tge world without issue.

Regards

Paul

You will need an adapter for the wall. If a USB port is provided, you should be able to just plug in. I have had them before and I thought it was at Disney.

Hi. I’m from the UK and i take a UK four-way adapter which has 2 USB slots in it, and one travel adapter to plug the four-way in and then just take my usual devices/plugs. You don’t need a converter for anything.

1 Like

I think our voltage is a lot higher in the UK, could this be why it’s affecting the DS? And why you need a converter?

Voltage in Europe is twice that in the US. However, most small device and laptop chargers are rated for international voltages - for example, my iPhone charger is good for input voltages from 110 to 240 VAC, and I’m pretty sure my DS charger is the same.

Check the small print on the charger - if it accepts a similar range of input voltages, then all you need is a plug adapter.

1 Like

Ah, right, that’s good to know. Makes sense really. I knew ours was higher but I didn’t realise it was that much.