Visiting WDW for free

One of our trips was just after they had Christmas decorations up and the Osborne lights going - it was pretty magical that time of year.

3 Likes

I love Christmas, I’m desperate to see it snow on Main St.

5 Likes

All the UOR resorts have Starbucks in the lobby.

2 Likes

I didn’t know if you planned to stay closer to WDW for that part of your stay. Also, would it be enough of a break if you worked some of the days at UOR? It might help solve your boredom issue because you’d have time away from the parks.

1 Like

I love this list! Thank you for sharing it.

2 Likes

If I actually take the trip, the likelihood is that it will either be a split trip — UOR on-property, and somewhere near WDW, or maybe Pop if it’s only a few nights and I get a deal — or I’ll stay at UOR the whole time.

2 Likes

Resort-only days are my favorite! I’m planning a resort-only trip next week for Halloween and I can’t wait :grin:

I keep track of all the resort activities, monthly calendars, and resort holiday activities on my website. I hope it’s helpful to anyone planning resort time! https://www.magicalresortguide.com/

9 Likes

We’ve come in two days early before two Disney cruises and done nothing but enjoy resorts. It’s so awesome just to hang out and enjoy the resort pool. We’ve played mini golf that was included for free with a ticketless package my TA booked, eaten at Boma and explored AKL, walked around Disney Springs and gotten a candy apple and cookies from Candy Cauldron, listened to the jazz band and ate beignets at POFQ. Last year we had one night at GDT and ate at Toledo which was terrific and the pool there is one of the best on property. If you haven’t seen them before, go to Riviera and see the Rapunzel and Peter Pan murals and get a drink at Bar Riva.

5 Likes

Slightly off topic, but … I arrive on Sunday around 7/7.30 pm at resort. I will be tired, jet lagged etc., but I want to make the most of the evening, rather than shower and crash. I was thinking of finding a spot outside the parks to watch the MNSSHP fireworks at 10.15 pm, while nibbling some snacks or a light meal and sipping a glass of wine/cold beer. Can you see the MK fireworks from Geyser Point, the Territory Lounge or Whispering Canyon? If so, would it be a good plan to boat over from MK transportation hub? Would I need a reservation?
Would any other place be a better option? Thank you.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you can see the MK fireworks from WL but you can see them from the CR, Poly and GF. The balcony at CR fills up fast but has some seating so you wouldn’t have to stand. Same w/ the beach at the Poly. I’ve seen families sitting on the grass near the boat dock at GF watching the fire works

1 Like

You can also see them from the ferry launch at TTS. Music is piped in there as well.

4 Likes

oh true… I forgot about that… I’ve watched them there many times while trying to avoid the mass exodus at MK

1 Like

But would you? :wink: It does kinda boil down to money’s worth. Which is very much in the eye of the wallet holder. Or multiple experience-r. Someone who’s got an alternative to compare to.

There are lots of rides that aren’t worth some other non-ride experiences.

Also, if you’re a military ticket holder (cuz no mo’ APs), and you’re staying a week at a DVC, then you’ve got down time built-in. We once - back in 2013 - had 4 non ticket days at Boardwalk. Very nice time. Maybe DH’s second most fav trip.

2 Likes

You can see a few of the higher fireworks over the tops of trees.

Used to could see fireworks pretty well from the Fort Wilderness beach, with piped music. I think it was Wishes the last time we saw fireworks at FW.

Outside of MK we’ve mostly watched the fireworks from the Poly. Either the beach, the boat dock or another lakeside area in front of the building we were staying in.

3 Likes
  • oh and let’s not forget do the lasted tour at SSR - free ice cream & gift card
2 Likes

What tour at SSR? I haven’t heard of a tour that includes ice cream!

1 Like

DVC tour! No worries though it’s not a hard sell…

1 Like

Well, I think I’m cheating here. My son WORKS at Disney. (He’s in the DCP and is doing the Food and Wine Festival all fall. We’re headed down in a couple of weeks and he’s got us free tickets for 3 days. Staying off-property, though.

5 Likes