Vacation Ideas besides Disney

Our family has also backed off of Disney vacations each year. We last went in 2019, and don’t currently have a trip planned. We’re thinking possibly 2021, but just not sure when. We have found that we LOVE Dollywood as an alternative…so much so that we purchased season passes. It is a wonderful park, that has loads to do for all ages. We plan to also visit the Dollywood Splash Country water park this summer - a special request from my water-loving DS9. We’ve also stayed at the Dollywood DreamMore Resort, and have found it to be comparable to a Disney Mod/Deluxe resort. We highly recommend as an alternative!

4 Likes

LOL! We are going to WDW in May and also did OCMD last year (oh, maybe 2 years ago…?) and are planning on Wiliamsburg next year! I’m starting to research Williamsburg…what’s a good month/time in your opinion?

1 Like

Come on down to Mexico, we’d love to have you here!!
We have forests, beaches, rivers, wildlife and wild lives if you know what I mean…

6 Likes

Planning on a week-10 days when my kids will be 10&8. (In 2 years) Do you think that’s adequate? I’m so excited to take them abroad!

3 Likes

(eta: responding to the San Antonio suggestion)
We did a long weekend there a few months ago. I was shocked at how amazing it was. DD declared that it was the prettiest city she’s ever seen (left unsaid is that she’s only seen about 6), and she wants to live there one day. But it was very pretty. She loved that we saw 3 weddings while on the water taxi.

If you go, do the walking tour. Totally amazing.

eta: If you go during the time of Christmas decorations. Nearby New Braunfels goes bonkers in their decorating. They have an nice, old, downtown area that they decorate.

eta: Everyone does the River cruise. It is really expensive and the line is outrageous. As in, probably longer than the line for the new Mickey ride. Then when when you get on, the ride isn’t that long and they yammer at you and you have to strain to hear because you are on an open boat. Instead do the walking tour first so you know what things are. Then do the ‘water taxi’ version. It is cheap and you can usually hope right on. Locals use it to get around. Ride as long as you want. Try to get on at the end of the day so you can experience day, sundown and night all in one ride.

3 Likes

On Vegas.
For families, I’d highly recommend staying at the Golden Nugget. For the pool. They have this multi-story tube water slide that goes THROUGH an aquarium. A big aquarium with sharks and stuff. The pool also surrounds the aquarium, so you can stand next to the aquarium and look in while in the pool.

Vegas also has the world’s largest Ferris wheel. We enjoyed that.

Last summer we did a nice family-friendly vacation in AZ. We flew into Vegas, relaxed at the pool, did the big wheel. Drove rental car to Grand Canyon and spent a couple of days, Drove to Page, AZ and swam at Lake Powell. Stayed in what had been the workers housing. Toured some slot canyons (much better than the Grand Canyon) Did a Glen Canyon boat tour/float. Drove to Flagstaff, toured the ancient Walnut Canyon cliff dwellings. Looked at the giant meteor crater. Looked at Montezuma’s Castle. Drove to Apache Junction to hotel. Did a gold mine tour, mystery shack, Dolly Steamboat cruise. Toured the Lost Dutchman museum. Drove to Mesa to eat at the amazing Organ Pizza, and then Phoenix where we turned in the car.
It was quite cheap. I could send you my notes if you want.

4 Likes

You really reinforced my strong desire to visit TX this summer.

3 Likes

As family of 8 I can’t concur enough. I wish we’d realized the value earlier. I had myself believing that after DCL any other line would pale in comparison. we wasted over a decade. We could have done so much since we homeschool and could go off season. Major regret of mine.

3 Likes

But don’t call it a Ferris wheel. It’s an “observation wheel.” They’re apparently a little sensitive about it.

2 Likes

Our plan for this year (if income tax return stay consistent) is to drive from WNY through Canada to Dearborn, MI for the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village. Then west to Rock Island, IA. Then to Pony Express museum in WY (one of many) en route to Colorado Springs, CO (Focus on the Family & Adventures in Odyssey), and then southerly to Delhurst, TX, and some time in San Antonio, Waco, and Galveston (and then a 7 night cruise on Carnival Vista). Then two days to get home, likely not stopping anywhere except to sleep.

3 Likes

We are going in June. It gets hot and humid during July and August.

That’s funny. We must think alike.

3 Likes

Having been to Las Vegas twice in 1998 and 2000 I was horrified to see it as we drove the kids down the strip in June 2018. What used to be fun (drive down and see the gigantic hotels!) it was an epic nightmare of traffic and congestion and nothing to look at because there was nothing to look at! In FRONT of all the amazing hotels were more business and strip-mall type stuff. It was a nightmare.

3 Likes

Oh, definitely the national parks. I’d rent a motorhome (gas will probably be cheap all summer) and hit the road. Here’s a interactive map of all of them:

Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota and the Badlands NP are really interesting, and often overlooked. I mean, the others are nice, don’t get me wrong (I live an hour from Yellowstone when the road is open) but these are less crowded and visually striking, especially if you are not used to really wide open spaces. . Mount Rushmore, Devil’s Tower National Monument and the Crazy Horse Memorial are out that way, too.

There’s a goofy little place out there called Reptile Gardens that I’m sure DinoLand USA in AK was modeled after- but it’s actually really a cool place. The kids love it.

6 Likes

I’ve been triggered.

When we decided to go to OR, I realized I would ACTUALLY GET TO SEE MT. RUSHMORE. Today was truly a day I was looking forward to.

As our car inched toward this landmark, I sat up straighter and turned to DS14 behind me and giggled how excited I was. He smiled for me and said it’d be cool to see it.

6 Likes

I recommend places where your kids will study in American History. American History is in California’s curriculum for 5th, 8th, and 11th grades. I’ve studies American History several times in school. But to walk and stand in those places provided me perspective, understanding, and a deeper appreciation for those who have gone before us.

I also second national parks. When my kids were preschoolers, a friend gifted them a national park passport book. They love going to national parks, monuments, and historic sites to get the stamp and take a picture to put in their passport books. They look forward to trips where they can get many stamps for their passports. As college students today, their passports are bursting and they have extra pages in an envelope.

3 Likes

Another vote for National Parks! Acadia is amazing! Really fun hikes the whole family will love (Gorham Mountain, Great Head, the Bubbles, etc.), tidepooling, ride bikes on the carriage roads, Diver Ed boat tour, stargazing on Sand Beach, kayaking, rock climbing with guide, junior ranger activities, eat lobster by the ocean, etc. We easily filled up a week. You can combine it with Boston or other New England sites too.

We haven’t been yet but I’m deep into planning Yellowstone and Grand Tetons – wildlife galore, geysers, mountains, amazing hiking, horseback rides, see a rodeo, chuckwagon cowboy dinner, whitewater rafting, float trips, etc.

I’m also planning a Utah national park trip in a couple of years – some of the most unique and beautiful scenery and the most fun and exciting adventures to be found. A hiking paradise (with really fun features for kids like slot canyons and rock scrambling), off road jeep tours, more whitewater or float trips, guided canyoneering trips suitable for kids, etc.

7 Likes

It would be fun!

1 Like

Oh dear! :rofl::rofl: I love your face there.
Did the fog ever clear up?

Yellowstone is a lot like Disney World- you have to rope drop. Be up at dawn to see the wildlife, then go visit the geysers, water falls, other popular places when everyone else is at breakfast. Have brunch, then you can do your hiking, which is an excellent idea that hardly anyone does! The rangers are so good at giving advice regarding where to go given your interests and ability.

Also, I have to say, as hokey as it sounds, that chuckwagon ride in Yellowstone is fun. I’ve been on it at least 3 times. Or you can ride a very tame horse to the cook-out spot.

Pro tip: You can BYOB, there is a tiny little creek there to keep it cold. :wink:

6 Likes

Yup - we got a great view…
Three years later.

9 Likes

Well, it’s high time you did it with the kids! :smiley:

Go to Kaua’i - it is literally paradise. Or The Big Island - the best snorkeling I have ever done. Going back to TBI in May, and I feel the stress leaving my body just thinking about it, brah. :call_me_hand:

4 Likes