Update to Mask Policy for Restaurants

I have thought this when I’m with my mom but never would dare say it out loud! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I’ve had a half bottle of wine, and I already overshared on my double date on Zoom with my sister in law and her husband, so I’ll keep this short.

Thank you. You made my heart feel good.

8 Likes

You’re a smart man!

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome the upcoming Disney-themed feedbags.

“Block the cough
While you enjoy the trough!”

Magical.

4 Likes

When we went in October we were seated at Yak & Yeti just as a table with two couples was being served dessert nearby. Those people did not leave until we were already ordering our dessert, and we weren’t rushing or anything. They also walked right past us without putting their masks on.

Did you ever get the masks I sent?

@Bubblez Or you end up at WDW with people from the daily thread like I did! :joy:

5 Likes

Oh no! Did you send me some masks? I never received them. I’m not so awful as to not acknowledge receipt and thank you.

1 Like

I did, but then I wasn’t around for awhile

But also, good. Those were crap. The new ones are way better.

I think Disney is taking mask enforcement too far now:

7 Likes

It’s not social distancing or masking, it’s both. They are layers of protection. Neither is 100% effective on its own. The more you do it, the less likely an infected person will spread COVID. I don’t see a problem with Disney asking people to use as many layers as as possible whenever they can.

9 Likes

That’s a perfectly reasonable statement. I just think there’s some room for two sensible equally-caring people to disagree on the margins of how much restriction is enough and have that debate on whether there is really enough added benefit to a change like this.

Of course the more layers, the safer everyone is.
But somewhere a line must be drawn that balances that with common sense and practicality, and that line may be in different places for different people’s appetite for risk and understanding of probabilities. Otherwise, why stop there. Wearing 2 masks would be safer than 1, and 3 safer than 2, and so on. Why even risk WDW being open at all? Better than any number of layers of protection would be having no one there. To me, the line seemed adequately safe where it was, and a family seeing each others’ faces while at a distanced table for a meal is reasonable enough and worth keeping. Others may disagree and put that line somewhere else, and it’s ok to have that discussion. Some risk will have to be accepted no matter what. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

thanks, here goes…

It is so incredibly hurtful to me when people treat mask wearing as a simple thing that’s no big deal. As someone who medically cannot wear a mask for more than a very short time without bad side effects, there is so incredibly little I can do right now. Masks are pretty much controlling my life.

I would request tolerance towards alternate viewpoints and understanding that for many people mask wearing really is quite a lot to ask for a variety of reasons. I understand that few people have medical problems with masks to the extent that I do, but I do hear a wide range of medical reactions over various time-frames (for me it’s minutes, for many it seems to be 2-3 hours). If that’s not to you, then please count yourself as incredibly lucky.

5 Likes

I understand you have some very strong feelings about masks but I don’t think any of us are going to never again fall into the “this is why masks are so important” vs “this is why masks should not be required” discussion again.

To me, there is a difference between “this is my feelings” vs “you are wrong about this and I think you are personally ________ (fill in the blank). “

On another note, do I remember correctly that you are a MA liner? This must be incredibly hard for you with all the masks rules in MA. How do you cope with all these rules?

2 Likes

I’m so sorry that you are struggling w/ masks right now due to circumstances you can’t control. For you it isn’t

but for some (too many?) it is as simple as an attitude. For example, someone posted on another thread that they tested the new restaurant mask rule at a Disney ADR and no one challenged them or enforced the new rule; they were essentially bragging (they had also previously posted that they would be challenging it); all I could think of was, ‘How rude and inconsiderate that family was being and thought of all the servers/CMs at Disney that they were disrespecting just b/c they didn’t like the mask rule’. I personally don’t have any tolerance for the inconsiderate. I have ignored their content so my hackles will no longer be raised, because it’s pointless to try and reason with that attitude. I really appreciate :heartpulse: you sharing your circumstances as it will help me to remember to think before judging someone w/o a mask.

9 Likes

I think this hits the nail on the head.
The majority who “won’t be told what to do” are ruining it for people like @felicia3333
Because honestly - and I know this isn’t right of me - I assume people who are refusing are just refusing on principle.

11 Likes

Thank you for acknowledging. For me, it’s partly on principle, partly on how I physically feel with a mask on, and partly other psychological/emotional factors like wanting to see my children’s faces throughout a meal while seated around the table. Family dinners together, including seeing faces and facial expressions, are a staple of how we conduct our family life. If we didn’t already all have covid and there wasn’t distancing in place, would I recalibrate those thoughts? You bet. I’m not stupid and don’t want anyone to be harmed.

Why not just go along with it and not challenge everything, you might ask? I don’t have a simple answer to that, and you’d really have to get to know me better to understand how I look for nuance and analyze risks, and yet devote a lot of my life to helping others. I ultimately answer to one Master who has the right to judge me. I don’t purposely want to offend anyone, and it’s unfortunate that my talk of loopholes here may have triggered some people. Expanding discussion on heavy and/or controversial topics past a single viewpoint is important to me, because I’m a strong proponent of tolerance and diversity of opinion, even those I don’t agree with. Still love this place, and still love those here who may disagree with me and even fight with me. It is a lot like fighting with family.

3 Likes

Hello Cruise ships!

2 Likes

I see this as similar to why we get vaccines - not just to protect ourselves, but also to protect people that can’t get the vaccine. Same thing with masks. We all live in a society. I can deal with what is for me an inconvenience to help both myself and the people around me.

5 Likes