Update to Mask Policy for Restaurants

I have to say: in our schools we regularly test our ventilation system these days. What worked in August is different than December, and most likely spring/summer. Covid is an air-born virus. I am confident that Disney is testing their restaurant ventilation systems. If they need to change protocols as air conditioning is increased, none of us should question that?

8 Likes

This is what we do when we eat as well. I understand if the intent of this new rule is to protect servers but if so it would make more sense to me to require masks to be up when servers are present rather than masks on at all times unless actively eating or drinking. Also easier to enforce. If you have a high child/parent ratio + a table where you have to get up to assist children with their masks constantly throughout the meal I think this would get ridiculously tedious.

1 Like

I honestly think it has more to do with guests using indoor dining as a ā€œmask relaxation stationā€ and lingering for long amounts of time maskless after theyā€™re done. Combined with the increase of variants in FL, and newer CDC guidelines.

12 Likes

That makes sense. While we are generally eat and go people when we were there, there are surely people lingering much longer than needed after a meal and not wearing a mask. Just hanging at the table even after the check was settled to chit chat with friends.

1 Like

Agree, that makes sense and I can get behind that.

Honestly Iā€™m not eating indoors without a vaccine, so doesnā€™t effect me too much. I can see servers not wanting to be breathed on. But all that air is circulating when your eating so it has to be about the servers.

1 Like

The circulation, unmasked has been the issue in the past. There have been outbreaks because of it. There was an early paper on this, and I can post an article about a MA article but I am sure no one wants to see them again. If they are planning on increasing capacity, they will need to take other steps.

3 Likes

Yea makes sense. Iā€™ve read the reports, Thatā€™s why Iā€™m waiting to eat inside. Iā€™m just saying the risk you take to eat inside is already there but Iā€™m all for them protecting the servers.

To be honest I thought this was the rule all along. I wonder if some ADRs will suddenly become available as people who are bothered by this cancel.

1 Like

We have been thinking about cancelling most of our ADRs for a while. I think we willā€¦not because of this because we would comply and get it. More so because the way we tour now is so much different. Sitting to dine is an hour plus commitment and we want more flexbility to be able to eat when the lines are long and leave a park if it gets too crazy.

1 Like

This was not a policy when we went late last yearā€¦but we did this regardless. We only removed our masks when actively eating. We were not super comfortable eating indoors, and only did so a few times.

5 Likes

same here ā€“ Iā€™m glad they are making this a clear policy now.

2 Likes

I went to an amusement park in November with similar rules as Disney. I donā€™t think anyone was trying to smash up next to people on purpose. It seemed more like they would move how they were used to or they were paying attention to something else. Honestly, outside, it didnā€™t really bother me.

There is something Iā€™m curious about though, and this is not addressed specifically to you. I hear people say to others not to go with the restrictions if you donā€™t like them. And Iā€™m fine with that theory. But I also hear some complaints about how Disney has changed the restrictions, such as loading more people in a ride vehicle or not putting plexiglass on certain rides. Eventually Disney is going to relax restrictions. Are people going to follow the same advice if they donā€™t like how fast Disney is moving on lowering restrictions? Iā€™m really curious on how this is going to go. Because honestly, as we move through the year, I can restrictions starting to lessen as restaurants open up more, as the capacity increases, as entertainment is added. I know this rule seems to tighten restrictions, but if it is to increase capacity, then itā€™s actually a measure to eventually loosen restrictions.

4 Likes

Why would it be any different? If someone doesnā€™t like how Disney is handling thingsā€¦in either directionā€¦now is not the time for them to visit.

6 Likes

Well some people would see it differently. I agree with your statement though. It shouldnā€™t make a difference.

Agreed. My family has been very careful with COVID. We are going to Disney in April because they are being so strict. If between now and then, they decide to relax their guidelines, Iā€™m happy to cancel because I know that is not for me.

5 Likes

Iā€™m saying that if you did use your cane to express the distancing and somehow miscalculated and, in fact, did touch someone, you could have had a whole new problem to deal with. I would be mortified beyond any measure if I swung a device and hit another human being. That could result in getting ejected from the park, getting banned, getting charges pressed, etc. It would not have been worth the point I was trying to make.

1 Like

They are NOT saying you have to put your mask on between every sip and bite. They ARE saying to keep the mask on until your food and/or drinks are there (I personally waited until my first food arrived to totally remove mine, simply pulling it down to take a sip of my drink before that, but I could see removing it once drinks arrive) - definitely while ordering with the server - and to put it back on when youā€™ve finished.

Here is an example of something I personally saw while I was there the 12th-17th that is WHY they are doing this.

I picked up my tray at Satuā€™li Canteen and went to find a table. As I was sitting down, a CM approached a family at a table and asked to take their trays. They were clearly finished as the dishes had bits and dregs of food and their napkins were all wadded up on the trays. One of the kids started to hand a tray over when the mom said ā€œWeā€™re not finished yetā€ and took the tray back. Once the CM was out of earshot, the mom hissed at the kid ā€œAs long as the trays are here, weā€™re ā€˜eatingā€™ and can keep our masks off.ā€ I took about 30 minutes to eat, and during that time, I saw two other CMs approach the family only to have the mother say ā€œWeā€™re not finished yetā€ - I never once saw them even take a sip of anything from a cup. They were STILL sitting there when I left. Clearly treating it as a relaxation station and tying up a table in the process.

I did not experience any TS delays, but area friends have reported that they have more than once had longer than usual waits for tables - even at ā€œoffā€ times and when they were finally seated, they saw multiple parties lingering long after their tables had been cleared of plates and their remaining glasses were empty. Especially at TS restaurants, that delays table turnover and means extended days for restaurant CMs (and ergo park CMs for in-park restaurants).

THAT is what this is trying to prevent - people using restaurants as extended relaxation stations long after they have finished their meals. Once your drink and/or food has arrived, you may remove your mask until you have finished eating. Itā€™s basically saying ā€œDonā€™t be a jerk and hog a table just because you donā€™t want to wear a mask.ā€

22 Likes

I think everyone agrees itā€™s rude to hog a table longer than needed, pandemic or no pandemic. I do understand why that exact situation would need to be cracked down on. Iā€™m only doubting if thereā€™s really added benefit to the extra few minutes of mask wearing before and after eating while properly distanced at a table for no longer than needed to have a meal.

Iā€™m not saying I wouldnā€™t ultimately comply with this. I complied with absolutely everything when there in Dec. So give me a break. Thatā€™s empirical evidence Iā€™m not just a reckless jerk. I think everything should be on the table for discussion or to be challenged though. Disney and covid policies are not exempt from scrutiny in my book.

7 Likes

Okay.

To play devilā€™s advocate here: whatā€™s the harm in just doing it without scrutiny? How does it harm a person to wear the mask for a few minutes more?

7 Likes

For some, it makes no difference they have a mask on and even forget theyā€™re wearing it. For others, including me, itā€™s always an annoying feel and often leads to feeling lightheaded. I wouldnā€™t say that ā€œharmsā€ me, but itā€™s an annoyance. But I am the analytical type to always be assessing risk to myself and others. I donā€™t blatantly do things that could harm others. I try to think about all factors, and am a big fan of nuance over blanket policies, but also get why blanket usually has to win out.

4 Likes