Unsettled by Astroworld Tragedy, re: big crowds

Rather than start a new thread I thought this question could work here. What do you think of watching the Christmas Party fireworks up against the ledge to the left or right of the Partner’s statue?
Not asking from a safety perspective, as I don’t think it will be crowded. Asking from perspective of view and not having others standing immediately in front/touching. Planning to watch Enchantment right of the castle on the walkway into Tomorrowland. Don’t mind not being able to see it directly. (Hoping to pop over to 7DMT afterwards.)
What do you think? Not experienced with an in park fireworks strategy.

To be clear, your asking about Walt and Mickey?

If you can get a spot it would probably be a fine view but may be a little too close to see some of the pyro

1 Like

Gee, I almost wish I didn’t start this thread b/c it gives me anxiety to read the responses. But, I am also glad I brought it up b/c I gathered these ideas from it: 1) Disney has escape routes for when things get rough, I didn’t know that 2) I always research a new venue before I go but now I’m going to specifically research for whether they’ve had any incidents where it’s obvious they didn’t plan correctly 3) I haven’t RD and now I really, really don’t think I will–or, if I did, it would be to RD the less popular rides. Eek.

4 Likes

Thank you. Yes. Anyplace else you can think of other than loose on Main?

I really appreciate you starting this thread, so THANK YOU. And I appreciate all the thoughtful responses, especially about rope drop. So many tips and strategy posts make rope dropping a big part of how to “tackle the parks”…and they do not talk about this aspect of it. As someone who is new to this, and who suffers from anxiety, I am so thankful for this perspective. Seriously, thank you.

3 Likes

As someone who has this type of anxiety I can fully vouch for rope dropping from the back. If you arrive as everything is just opening it all just flows, and works great. It’s the stop and wait that can be rough as it allows people density to build.

2 Likes

How has Disney rope drop been since the new early entry? Also how does it compare to Universal’s? Universal’s wasn’t bad at all. I wonder if early entry being at all four parks has lessened the madness? Or maybe there is still enough people density to bring out the crazy. I also wonder how resort rope drop compares to off-site rope drop.

Reason I ask the last question is I’m pondering going with our off-site reservation and using the money saved to buy ILL$$$ to replace early entry. Then rope dropping something not open during early entry. If early entry is insane I’d be more likely to go offsite. If both are insane I will just skip both rope drops

ETPE at four parks probably does make it a little better, but not noticeably. However, since the pandemic, they do a pretty good job of dispersing people in different directions. You’re not held all at the same place like they used to do. You can proceed through security, tapstiles, and all the way up to a separate rope or area closer the ride you want to rope drop. So there’s not as much running or trampling. 7DMT and FoP are still the maddest rush.

It was about the same, in my experience.

3 Likes

FWIW, two more of those hospitalized have died since the initial coverage. Including a 9 year old. Total is now 10. :cry:

One of DD6’s favorite WDW memories from our 2019 trip is when we RD Dumbo and the CM let everyone stay on for a second ride since there were not enough people in line to fill the empty seats. She loves talking about it and telling people we got pixie dust.

4 Likes

:cry:

My preference for castle front is in front the Plaza (by the tables). this is where the VIPs for parties sit, so you know a lot of CMs are nearby to handle the crowds and its in front of an emergency exit. For main street, at the Market St. area (@ Crystal Arts) as there is an emergency exit at the end of the market street. Next best is anywhere near the train station is also a good bet as its right at the exit. The balcony at Contemporary is the next best if you want the experience without the crowds or safety concerns.

1 Like

Good info. I have Contemporary 50th Celebration booked, so that’s why I’m not too concerned about viewing for Enchantment. I will definitely check out the Plaza area for Very Merriest. Thank you!

1 Like

For the Christmas party, it honestly wasn’t crowded enough that I would worry about it. We walked up about 1 minute before the fireworks started and planted ourselves in the middle of the hub, just kind of behind a trashcan (so no one could stand in front of us). There was a little bit of a light pole obstuction, but no one crowding our space at all.

1 Like

I hope it works out that way. Someone suggested the first few parties weren’t actually sold out. They limited ticket sales to give a false impression. :grimacing:

Positive thoughts, SafetyLady. Positive thoughts. :laughing:

1 Like

I fully believe that to be true.
Keep the levels low, say it’s sold out to create a scarcity mentality
Get rave reviews on the low crowds
Surprise everyone with last minute day-of availability
Sell crazy amounts of tickets and fill the joint up

Yup, sounds like a classic #chapek to me

4 Likes

Cost goes up $20 on my party night. Hope it’s a deterrent.:laughing: Sunday’s don’t “seem” to be as popular.