Universal newbie trip report! Anything we know we learned right here

Where am I?

I don’t know what this used to be, but it is now the queue for Hagrid’s. It makes me sad that something so cool looking isn’t being used anymore.

7 Likes

That would be the Sinbad show building. I’ve never seen it when it was running, but only know that from vloggers.

Agreed, Universal has a lot of vacant show building space that could be used for attractions.

4 Likes

We overslept a bit today. Got in line for the gate at 7:38, in line for Hagrid’s at 8:05. Posted wait time was 60 minutes. People with watches who were near us in line said that would have been accurate if the ride hadn’t broken down. It was past 10:30 by the time we collected our things from the locker, having given up on the ride. No passes or other compensation was offered.

Now we’re back at the Three Broomsticks, because after that morning we’re not feeling like getting in another line. We stopped at Honeyduke’s on the way, so we’re trying butterbeer fudge and potted cream and not eating our feelings at all.

2 Likes

Perhaps a better wand photo.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. It seems like this happens a lot still - Hagrid’s not running in the morning?

2 Likes

Whose wand is that? (i.e. which character?)

No clue. It didn’t say on the box. Maybe an Ollivander’s original?

1 Like

My new favorite person is Greg at the Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular, who located SWMNBN’s wand after the show. She has transferred it to a different bag in the hopes it won’t fall out next time she sits down.

After our early lunch, SWMNBN wanted to do Poseidon’s, which was far cooler than I expected. Then we headed to Grinchmas, where we waited an extra half hour because the show started later than I thought. Oh, well. That’s how this day goes.

Now we’re on our way to the water rides, because we walked out of that winder wonderland into an 85 degree sunny Florida afternoon. But we’ve stopped for green eggs and ham along the way. Once again, a very knowledgeable kitchen staffer took our allergy order and delivered it to us himself.

6 Likes

It’s not one of the character wands. It’s Ivy from the celtic tree collection…

Same as one of ours @julsie :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

You just beat me to it! Yes, Ivy.

Is this your personality description @sanstitre_has_left_the_building ? :wink:

5 Likes

We got wet. We also did the Kong ride on the way, which was super confusing as someone who has never seen a Kong movie. There were dinosaurs? Huh.

Then we tackled Velocicoaster, since we were already there and the posted wait was 20 minutes. I don’t know how long we actually waited. My phone was in a locker. Whatever.

SWMNBN has a weird ability to speak in complete sentences while on a ride of any thrill level. Who does that? I’m screaming my head off, just reacting wordlessly, and she’s informing me, “I’ve discovered a new love for roller coasters!” Honey, that ain’t new. You been on roller coasters since you were this tall to ride.

What did we do after that? I might have blacked out. I think the horror make-up show and that was about it. It’s 6pm and we’re the last people to get tacos from Bumblebee Man before it shuts down for the night.

11 Likes

:rofl:

Thanks for the laugh!

3 Likes

I mean this fit’s SWMNBN…she did the show four times to get picked…that’s pretty tenacious!

6 Likes

I was so tired last night I forgot to update. We went on Gringotts and watched part of the evening show from the wrong side of the lake. Today’s TP was based on the USF Touring Plan for Seniors, because I figured by day 3 my body would feel like it’s 85 years old. Turns out I feel more like a 65 year old who lied down on the road while a golf cart ran over my shins, but whatever.

Except SWMNBN wants to try for Hagrid’s again, so we tried hard to wake up earlier than yesterday. We’re in line at IoA around 7:15, about a dozen people in front of us. Send us and Hagrid your thoughts and prayers.

8 Likes

We’re checking out of HRH today and I haven’t even laid eyes on the pool. Nice enough hotel, but it was all about the express passes for us. We’ve had the bare minimum of interaction with the staff.

5 Likes

I’m talking in line about yesterday’s long wait for Hagrid’s, and I’ve overheard three separate families change their morning plans to something else. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Hagrid’s is running today (it stayed closed for more than half of yesterday). We were in line at 7:56 and back to our lockers at 8:50. Damn, that ride is awesome. I didn’t know Hagrid was going to narrate the whole ride, so that was a fun treat. Now we’re getting on the Hogwarts Express in plenty of time to resume our original plans in USF.

9 Likes

I tried to order a cup of tea at the Hopping Pot, but they don’t do that here. The menu says, “various teas,” but I guess they’re all cold? I’m American and used to drinking terrible tea, but I thought their attempt at britishness would reach farther than, “we don’t serve coffee here.” :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Today, SWMNBN is in the mood to repeat all her favorites, and I’m just trying to convince her to try all the other cool stuff here. I dragged her to Beat Builders and Blues Brothers, both of which were excellent. Jake and Elwood picked me to get a bucket of snow dumped on my head!

Also today, in no particular order, we rode Gringotts, Race through New York, and Transformers. We watched Beedle the Bard. Is it the same story every time?

We tried to catch the Sing It show, but it was cancelled. A bunch of 20yos holding microphones were surprised to hear that. :laughing:

I’d heard Leaky Cauldron was good for gluten free people, but we were told the options were: chicken sandwich, fisherman’s pie, veggie platter, or side salad. We didn’t want any of that, so we paid for my tea and went for Krustyburgers.

4 Likes

Me: Look! It’s Doc Brown!
SWMNBN: Who?
Me:
SWMNBN: Fine, I’ll take your picture with Doc Green.

7 Likes