Universal dropping mask mandate

4 Likes

They may as well strike “for fully vaccinated guests” from the statement. It’s the honor system, so suddenly even the antivaxxers will find that they are fully vaxxed AND boosted!

10 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Bummer. Just in time for our trip next week. I barely convinced my 74 year old mom not to cancel when I assured her there was still an indoor mask mandate in place.

1 Like

Tagging @QwertySC who was specifically wondering about this.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I think of this every time the honor system is discussed

7 Likes

City of New Orleans tried this no mask if vaxed thing, all of a sudden well more than half the people were unmasked in a city (and surrounding area) that had under 33% vax rate) Guess what happened… FF they started requiring masks and vax proof (or neg test results). Not sure where they stand now. I don’t go into the city often enough. Here comes the Mardi Gras crowd! (I wish I had a trip planned for that week).

Boston requires proof of vax for all indoor venues just now

DH, DS, DSFriend, and I went to Bruins game
Brought all our vax cards

The cursory glance they gave them it may as well have been the DO NOT REMOVE THIS TAG tag from several of our mattresses.

It’s theatre, and not even good theatre at that.

5 Likes

It’s disappointing that we are still using that same old language after all this time. It should be “Vaccinated or Recovered Guests” Other countries have been way ahead of us in that regard, like what they do in Disneyland Paris.

And it leaves someone like me, who’s never needed to be vaccinated, feeling like an outcast.

5 Likes

Reminds me of this story…

2 Likes

This is against the law in Florida. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Here’s the exact wording. I think the only reason they even break it out between vaccinated / unvaccinated is for liability reasons so as not to imply to unvaccinated guests that they are automatically safe.

• Face coverings are optional for fully vaccinated guests. For guests who have not been vaccinated, face coverings are encouraged while indoors - including restaurants, shops and indoor hotel public areas.
  • We do not require proof of vaccinations
  • We remain focused on maintaining the highest cleanliness and sanitization standards

With case loads having fallen so far and still dropping (and with the lag in case reporting, probably even further than the graph below makes it look) I think this is good timing for removing the mandate. If another variant pops up they can always reinstate later. I think that’s the way to go.

10 Likes

I hate masks! But I will dutifully wear them where needed. That being said, it is nice to have the option when I feel safe not using one. It’s always optional. So I can pop one on if I feel the need. In tight spaces with a lot of people, it can be a cesspool though. I’m sure this will bring in more people but alienate some.

5 Likes

These numbers are for Florida residents only so we don’t really know what the case load is in the parks… right? What percentage of park attendance is a FL resident? Something I always consider.

2 Likes

I don’t think it really matters much. Covid is like piss in a pool - newcomers to an area will quickly take on the same attributes as the locations they are visiting. If a lot of people with Covid were coming to Florida, Florida’s Covid rates would start to go up. If people came from a place with no Covid, the locals would spread it to them until the population rate at Disney would be the same as the surrounding area.

1 Like

We are arriving this coming Thursday, We will have our two grandchildren!! We will be the weird Grandparents with the masks and so will our grandchildren!!

4 Likes

Nothing weird about it! You do you! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I wish they had waited until after the upcoming holiday weekend when it will be crowded. I guess we will see what happens if hospital numbers go up the week after. We are vaccinated, but will still wear masks indoors and in lines.

1 Like

Restaurants for indoor dining, Broadway theaters and movie theaters (at least at AMC theaters) here in NYC are all checking - and I mean checking. And for Broadway you still have to be masked. The mask signs were still up at AMC, but seeing how I’m not allergic to wearing one I didn’t ask if it was back to optional for vaxxed and boosted.

Maybe it makes it easier for them since many of us are using either the NYC Covid Safe app or the NY State Excelsior Pass which does have a verification process so it’s harder to fake.

2 Likes