UnderLoved Disney

I like the third one for Hades :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Ooh yeah, he is good. I also had to listen to the soundtracks over and over - so plot may win for 3. 2 is for music!

3 Likes

This was the kid. For some reason Mary Poppins was a crutch. Especially at bedtime, we had to have that playing if we at least wanted quiet if not actual sleep. There were many nights when I would lie on the couch in the living room holding a wide awake toddler while I’d doze and repeat M Poppins all night.

Someway the kid learned to sleep and Poppins gave way to The Great Mouse Detective, Twister, Bolt, Oliver. All one at a time, of course. Eventually somehow the kid learned to like more than one thing at a time - Tink and Fairy movies.

But never Meet the Robinsons which I’ve always liked. :blush:

4 Likes

Mary Poppins is still my crutch! So I :heart: this very much.

3 Likes

Yes! I still like Mary Poppins. MP2 not so much tho I like Saving Mr Banks.

The kid does not care for, nor even really remembers, Mary Poppins. We wore out a couple of VHS tapes and then a DVD. I’ve never taken care of a toddler who was so stubborn about a movie.

3 Likes

We used to watch Sky High a lot!

1 Like

Meet the Robinsons is a good one.

Same :joy:

2 Likes

DD23 (Chessie) loves Bolt!
(By the way, she is just starting a new job at National Academy of Sciences!)

7 Likes

This might be mine as well. I can’t say my kids loved it, but as an adoptive mom it gives me all the feels. I love the underlying message of keep moving forward. It is basically the message (but catchier) I tried to give my kids when they were little and struggling to come to grips with their story. I used to tell one daughter who struggled more than her sister that bad things had happened to her. Every baby deserves to be born into a birth family that is ready, willing and able to love and keep them. If you lose that family, it’s a tragedy no matter what happens after that. But what you do with your life is up to you. You can choose to be happy and not let that tragedy define your future. Keep moving forward!

7 Likes

I don’t know if this is truly a sleeper, but Hercules was a big fave in our house too!

4 Likes

This is DD22’s life motto :heart:

This one gets a lot of play in our house too.

2 Likes

I watched Tarzan last night with DD6. Maybe the first time ever, maybe? I wasn’t excited, but it’s quite good! I enjoyed it.

Quite a lot of Phil Collins music :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this about this movie. :heart:

This is our mantra now as DH loses cognitive function. We play the hand we’re dealt. We don’t worry about yesterday or tomorrow. We merely keep moving forward from right now.

This resonates because that’s how we brought along foster kids and various other kids years before.

The other perhaps unspoken message in Meet the Robinsons is humor. Being wacky has defused tense situations or delighted even teens. I must admit DH is better at humor than I am tho I keep practicing. :smile::wink::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Tarzan was another fave of DD23, along with Hercules and Bolt!

She was maybe 3 and renamed one of our cats Tarzan! We still called him Deano, though.

3 Likes

My DD13 loved Bolt. Maybe I’ll try that one next with DD6–glad you suggested it! :blush:

3 Likes

Just recently I watched Soul. There are so many I watched with my kids when they were little and haven’t really seen mentioned again, except for here!
Aristocats
Atlantis
The Emperors New Groove
Dinosaur
The Rescuers

We also loved the Ernest movies-- which Disney now owns.

2 Likes

Yes this! And another favorite line “from failure you learn, from success, not so much”

2 Likes

On our last trip this was the movie on the green at the Boardwalk. It was a Friday night and there was a lot going on so all the kids were all running around but me and a few other moms had our eyes on the movie and we were ALL singing along while the kids were just oblivious. It was so funny.

4 Likes

My secret is that I think Pete’s Dragon is my all time favorite Disney movie. The soundtrack, the setting, the happy ending: soul food.

8 Likes