Uber law question

I think it depends on where you are going. I have only been a passenger but I believe there are a couple of streets that the speed limit is at least 35-40.

thank you, is that 35-40 kmph, or are converting it for me?

35-40mph- I am unsure of the conversion!

Sorry I was thinking that America measured distance in Km like most of Europe, the UK is obviously the same as the US and uses miles. Thank you

I always hate saying, “As a lawyer” too. LOL.

For this law - another relevant portion is being overlooked. The FL law requires that all the children be in car seats up to age whatever they say. the law quoted above will, I believe, and would argue, prevent the taxi driver/uber driver/limo driver/etc from being held liable for the fine if caught driving an un-restrained child. The law still requires that the child be in the car seat, but the parent/guardian is the one who is responsible for the fine if caught not proving the seat.

1 Like

Now I am completely lost! What about:

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.

Does that not mean that you do not need a child restraint in a taxi as well as a bus?

This is why people love us lawyers so much! Because two different people can read the same thing and see it two different ways. @FKHamer has a very valid point in his interpretation of the statute, My take, is that (6) makes those types of cars exempt from the law. In the same way that school buses are not required to have seat belts. Just my two cents.

1 Like

That’s about 55-70kph.

There’s also a lot of traffic in Disney. It’s not just a few back roads where only workers drive. These are busy streets just off a major highway.

Regardless of the distance, if there’s an accident and the seatbelt is across your child’s neck, it doesn’t matter if you’re sitting beside him or her. The sudden stop will cause the seatbelt to lock, possibly cutting off the child’s airway and even snapping his neck, depending on the impact. That is the risk you take for a $30 booster seat.

2 Likes

I have Niece 5 and nephew 9. I am getting one of these for niece for uber and cabs. It should fold down into stroller or backpack. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQYZCXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467229857&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+booster+seat&pi=SY200_QL40

2 Likes

I would argue that a child should be in a seat. But the best way to know, is to call a cop down in FL and ask what they suggest.

We actually did not take a taxi when we had the 20 month old with us our last trip but we took the bus. It is just funny since the law seems to be the same for both. None of us felt same in a taxi without a car seat.

thanks