Trouble getting onto special events page re Boo event

250 tries. 250 failed attempts to connect.

It’s going well.

yyyyeah, clearly Disney overestimated people’s interest with pricing it at 1 kidney. /sarcasm

Disney people are cray cray.

Yes, I’m including you.

And me.

Mostly me.

10 Likes

Personally starting to think this was planned out. Even with the negative press, they generate a huge media wave of scarcity and really feed into that FOMO culture driving the sales. So where people might have been on the fence due to price, they are now stampeding for tickets.

2 Likes

i could buy that, but I also am very experienced with Disney’s infrastructure and it’s lack of being able to handle even the most moderate of increase in normal demand.

Like FPP day
Or ADR day
or when they reopened after Covid shut down
or previous tickets for events (like Christmas Party)
or …well you get the idea.

Disney’s IT is amazingly bad for the reliance the company has on it.

6 Likes

That’s not bad IT, that’s bad management and cost expenditure. Management for not staffing appropriate agents those opening days to handle the phone volume that even anyone fresh on the job should be able to predict happening. Also double bad management coupled with penny pinching on their infrastructure. If the money has been allotted for it, additional capacity spins up as demand increases and as it is elastic in nature, shuts down as volume decreases. So the cost reduces as the demand on it eases.

This is basic level planning, but it does require capital expenditure which most guys in the IT department usually up past managers have no authorization to do. In most corporate cases they look at balancing cost savings versus backlash.

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but the fact that Disney web presence still runs on basically the same old stuff it did in the early 2000’s is also a factor. It’s even broken internally. CMs often have trouble. There’s definitely a software issue that they don’t seem to care about fixing.
The whole system - customer facing, client facing, is wonky and ancient.

4 Likes

My travel agent wasn’t able to get through yesterday. Hopefully she can today. Trying for 8/17 but can make 8/20 work if needed.

2 Likes

Yes - it would be perfectly feasible to handle the resort guest early availability on the website they should already have a lot of code in place from when you you book ADRs 180 days out + length of stay to 10 days in etc. Maybe there was a misjudgement as to the level of pre-release demand there would be - high price event but with no other non-VIP tours and up purchase like Hoop Dee Doo, MNSHN etc. demand transfers to what is available

I retried this lunchtime - 12.00 in UK. Got through to Dining reservations but they failed to successfully transfer the call! Half an hour gone. Called again and was successfully transferred but a 2-3 hour wait advised then line went dead. Will try again tomorrow - fortunately we have 6 options for the event if the target day is fully booked.

It’s all the same, really. Bad Management controls IT, which ends up being bad. And yes, I agree, it’s bad basic planning.

As I said, it’s amazingly bad given how much the company relies on it. You would think they’d make it priority one instead of constantly going with “minimum viable product”

But year over year, we’re constantly stunned by its awfulness. Like a puppy, every day is the first day.

Just cracked the 325th try and fail. The battle rages. The suspense is terrible… I hope it’ll last.

No, I don’t.

4 Likes

Maybe it will work on the 501st

2 Likes

lookit you pullin’ out a SW reference.

I’ve grown, haven’t I?

:grin:

3 Likes

My colleague got in again, second attempt, first one the agent hung up on her because she said she should be calling DVC (not a dvc member, nor using points) I’m trying between meetings, constant full circuits.

I normally wouldn’t bother, but I’m going to be down in the region for a business trip and one of my friends say they really want to go. So I keep trying.

After over 100 attempts today, I am finally in! Not sure how long I will wait, but will be certain to report back! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always enjoy a Willy Wonka quote but I hope you get through soon!

1 Like

Are a lot of days sold out? Or just not enough people answering phones?

FINALLY! I finally got through. 422nd try!

But it didn’t say how long my hold time would be… and I have a meeting in 20 minutes.

I’m gonna have to hang up, I just know it

1 Like

I feel the same! Perhaps they have fixed the problem and everyone should be able to get through now!

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

3 Likes