Trip Report: Two Toddlers & Trip Tips

Thursday, Dec 12
18,346 steps
Hi: 75 Lo: 66

MAGIC KINGDOM
CL: 1

We took the WL boat to MK and arrived by 9:05am. It was spitting rain, so we were prepared with raincoats and ponchos for the stroller. I kept expecting it to come in bursts and then clear up like good tropical rain, but it never really did for the next two days. The weather reports kept saying that the rain would stop soon, but they were completely incorrect for the rest of our trip. The rain kept coming when it was supposed to end and then it would clear up when it was supposed to be heavily raining!

We started the day with a FP for Peter Pan’s Flight and we are about 99% certain we were in front of the actor Danny McBride (Eastbound and Down, Pineapple Express, etc) and his family in line, which was exciting for my husband and me! We didn’t say anything to him, but it was fun to see a celebrity so randomly.

While walking outside of It’s a Small World, we also saw local celebrity Peter Pan in the street, who sweetly stopped for a photo and chat with our daughter. She still talks about how Peter Pan liked her doll!

We rode on IASW before our FP at Enchanted Tales with Belle, which was our second and my parents’ first time. We found out that the group you are with and Belle can really make a difference. Our first time was really fun and interactive, but this time was a little disjointed and not as much fun. Belle didn’t spent a lot of time for photos or connecting with the participants, so it was just okay, overall. I’m not sure we will carve out the time for it again in the future, but it is definitely cute to do at least once.

We kept up the Beauty and the Beast theme with lunch at Be Our Guest. Our food here is always really good and the setting is fun. I loved how it was ‘snowing’ outside the windows for Christmastime. Pre-ordering is a must if you don’t want to wait a long time to order/get food.

By this point, it was really raining, so we headed back to WL. Our 3 yo wasn’t interested in napping, so she got to play in the WL kiddie pool in the rain while her brother napped in the room. She loved it! On our next trip, making more time for pool and resort activities is a must.

Around 4pm, we tried to leave, but it was still pouring rain. We grabbed an early dinner at Roaring Fork (no idea what we ate, but it’s all serviceable food, no complaints). By 5:15ish, we were antsy and decided to just take the boat even with the rain and get started on our party night! We were in the park with wristbands by 5:36 for…

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
I was the MOST excited for this part of our trip, over anything else. I read reviews from prior years and it sounded like so much fun with low crowds and special characters, plus a perfect way to get in the Christmas spirit. I particularly wanted to watch the parade, see “snow” on Main Street, and get lots of cookies! Rides weren’t as important, but it would still be fun to jump on whatever we could.

The reality was much different for us, and the whole night was incredibly disappointing (if you don’t like bummer trip reports, feel free to skip this one!).

Crowds were thinning out as people left the park and partygoers entered, so we got on Buzz Lightyear again easily, then met up with my parents. It was a little after 6, and my parents had gotten a ‘welcome’ cookie with their wristband that we hadn’t gotten, so we went in search of cookies while my parents took the kids on Peoplemover.

However, since it wasn’t 7 yet, my husband and I couldn’t get any cookies (not sure how/why my parents got some), and we got shut down when we asked at the nearby locations. We jumped on the Mad Hatter Teacups with no line while we waited for everyone else to finish Peoplemover. When they got off the ride, we headed to Columbia Harbour House for dinner. Food here was good and the atmosphere on the second floor is really charming.

The rain was still coming down, to the point where our stroller covers were gathering huge puddles in them and the strollers were getting damp (kind of unavoidable after a day of rain). We dumped them out, then headed over to Haunted Mansion with a fairly short line (note – the stroller parking is the same area for CHH and HM, so don’t leave the area with them like we did!). I was worried that the HM would be too scary for the kids, but they once again loved the spooky factor.

By that point, the party had officially started, so as we walked back to Tomorrowland, we tried stopping at two cookie locations on the way. The line for cookies at Pinocchio Village Haus stretched out the door and around the corner towards the bathrooms. I think it was for sugar cookies, so we decided it wasn’t worth the wait. Cosmic Ray’s was similarly crowded and crazy, but we managed to maneuver through the crowd. I asked for 6 cookies (6 people in our group), and the really unfriendly worker rolled her eyes at me before passing over a handful of cookies. It was a weird exchange and definitely not building up any kind of Christmas spirit.

My parents waited for more cookies at the Lunching Pad while we walked over to Tomorrowland stage for the show with Buzz, Stitch, and Mike. The rain was finally stopping, so we were excited to see some of our kid’s favorite characters! Shortly before showtime, they came on the speakers and said the show was cancelled but the characters would be out for just one song (I want to say it was Deck the Halls? Something short.). They came out, did some waves, and headed back in. I’m not sure why the show would be cancelled due to rain but then still be able to have a short performance. By the time the characters were gone, my parents arrived with the cookies and completely missed it.

And in that spirit, we continued to strike out. My parents took the kids on the Teacups again, and waited in a 15+ minute line (it was much shorter on a non-party night and also in the time before the party officially started).

We walked over towards the parade route hoping to just glimpse it as we walked towards Adventureland, and the crowd was HORRIBLE. The rain had let up, but there was no room to walk, people packed together like sardines and unwilling to move to make room for pathways. We were struggling to just get through the outskirts when they came over the speakers again and announced that the parade would be “delayed”. No time given or estimates, just “delayed”. I don’t know if that meant a few minutes or if it wouldn’t be on at all until the later show. We didn’t stay to find out. I’m not sure why they didn’t do a rainy day cavalcade or similar backup parade.

I wanted to do just ONE party exclusive before we left, so we waited about 20 minutes to meet Moana and then, wet and frustrated, we called it. And no, there was no snow on Main Street that night.

In all, we spent a couple hundred dollars (I don’t have the heart to total it up) for about 16 cookies, regular wait times during the official party time, one very abbreviated show performance, and to meet Moana. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think our experience is a fair warning to not get your hopes up too high for any one event.

Tip: I read a few days later that some people were able to get refunded or replacement tickets for this MVMCP night if they talked to Guest Services due to how many events were cancelled. I would have done it at the party or the following day if I had known this was a possibility. Instead, I emailed them a few days afterwards politely explaining our experience and asking for a response, but I never heard back (hurray for ongoing disappointment!)

Would I risk doing MVMCP again? The blog reviews I read for the previous years made it sound so great that I am still surprised and sad that we had such a dramatically different experience. I did the most you can to prepare, but there wasn’t much that could have prevented the cancellations. I’d love to try again for a good experience, but I ultimately don’t think I could justify spending that amount of money again unless I found out that they were:

1. Seriously capping crowds or spreading out things to do
  2. Coming up with reasonable backup experiences (rainy day cavalcade, more meet and greets, indoor performances) for bad weather days
  3. If they finally got back to me and offered some kind of discount or replacement tickets for our poor experience (not that I’m holding my breath :wink: ).

I just wanted to see snow on Main Street, dangit!

5 Likes

Those silhouettes are amazing. And now I have a bona fide regret from our most recent trip since I didn’t know about them. Ah well, just an excuse to go back before DD4 and DS1 are too much older!!

1 Like

Yes, definitely make time for it on your next trip! The speed of the artist was amazing and the final result looks SO good in person.

1 Like

**Friday, Dec 13 **
15,438 steps
Hi: 73 Lo: 68

EPCOT
CL: 3

I had planned for a late night at MVMCP on Thursday, so we didn’t have any firm early morning plans. We got out to the WL bus stop around 9:30am, then kept watching the arrival time get pushed back, with the bus arriving around 10am. Arriving later than usual meant we had longer security lines than we were used to and we waited about 20 minutes just to get through security. Another reason to aim for rope drop!

At the entrance, we met Pluto after finding out our Test Track FP were replaced with anytime FP due to the ride going down. We never got to ride it this trip, and unfortunately didn’t have a chance to put the anytime FP to good use.

We headed over to the Seas area and really enjoyed Turtle Talk with Crush and The Seas with Nemo ride (okay, mostly just Crush). When we walked out, it was POURING rain. Again, the weather reports said it would just be cloudy this day, but there were buckets and buckets of rain.

We tried to wait it out in the aquarium, but eventually decided to just brave the rain since I really wanted to spend some time in WS. We only made it as far as the Character Spot before we decided to pull over. We ducked in to Meet Joy (not sure where Sadness was, but I read she is now permanently gone, bummer!), and we saw Baymax and Mickey from a distance.

My plan was to wander around the countries, do the Christmas Tree Hunt and Cookie Stroll, but a lot of the booths were shuttered because of the rain and walking wasn’t much fun, so I looked at the Lines app to see what looked like a short wait.

This was a big wait time estimate fail, and I’m still not sure what happened. I saw that Meet Anna and Elsa was listed as a 40 minute wait on the Disney app, but that it had been recently updated on the Lines app as only 6 minutes. I thought that even if the Lines app was off, it would at least mean a much shorter wait than 40 minutes, so we headed that way. I kept refreshing the app to make sure I was reading it right, and when we got there, I SWEAR the line sign said 15 minutes. Great! Welllll, it ended up that the Disney app was right and we waited about 35-40 minutes to meet them. I do enjoy the little house you wait in, plus it wasn’t raining indoors, AND the Anna and Elsa character interaction is some of the best anywhere, so it ended up being fine, but not how I would have spent my time if I had known the actual wait time! Anyone know what I did wrong here, or is it just up to chance which app is correct?

We made a quick shopping stop in Germany before heading to Morocco for lunch at Spice Road Table. SRT never fails us for good food, great atmosphere, and a needed break. This was a part of our Processional package and is one of the cheaper options, so I highly recommend it if you are booking the package.

The rain had died off during lunch, so my hopes were lifted that we could do the tree hunt and cookie stroll before our Processional time at 5pm. My parents took one stroller and kiddo for a nap while we took the other to find some trees and… kind of failed? The tree in Morocco is a wreath, so it was tricky. We started to head over to France for the next tree and noticed that the line for the Processional at 5 had already started and was at least a few hundred people long (this was about 2 hours before showtime and it was the line for the package holders. The non-package line was even longer).

I booked the Processional dining package so that we WOULDN’T have to wait in line, so I was pretty unhappy to see a 2 hour line already formed for package holders. My parents were talking to others already in line who said they always get in line at least 1.5 hours early, but I have to think that the lines were longer this day because people wanted to try to get under the covered seats since there was still a chance of rain. They got in line (between Morocco and Japan, if that gives you any idea, the line was wrapped around itself) to hold our spot at about 3:30.

While they waited, my husband, 3 yo, and I walked over to France so they could look for the French Christmas tree and I could get wine from the festival booth. While I was waiting in line, I realized that my husband had my wallet in the stroller and I joked with the people behind me that I hoped I wouldn’t get carded (I’m in my mid-30s and well past the time that I ever get carded anymore). WELL GUESS WHAT. I got carded, they wouldn’t serve me, and had to leave the line to go find my husband. By the time I got back, the line was really long and I didn’t want to wait again. On top of that, my husband hadn’t even found the dang tree.

We walked back to the Processional line where a cast member came up and told me that if our 2 yo was still asleep in his stroller when we were let in, we would have to stand at the back of the auditorium, which makes sense, but also really frustrated me because I wasn’t about to stand in line for another hour just to have to stand in the back or leave if he woke up and was cranky. Between the long wait for the Processional, the complete bust of MVMCP the night before, the rainy day, and spinning our wheels with everything we tried to do at EPCOT, I was just done. Disney-ed out. I took our sleeping 2 yo, decided to skip the Processional and headed back to WL.

For what it’s worth, my parents and husband really enjoyed the Processional (Gary Sinese! So cool), but our 3 yo got a little antsy towards the end. My husband said he wouldn’t wait so long for it again, though, since you can just walk by outside and get to hear/glimpse a lot of it.

Tip: If you try to do the Christmas Tree Hunt but only manage to find one tree, get the paper totally soaked from rain, and are a cranky parent who didn’t get her wine because she got carded without her wallet, they will still give you the reward ornament at the store.

It was pretty difficult to get around with a stroller by this point. I can confirm that the lines were lower since it was a CL 3 day, but the WS walking area was packed (assuming because it was a weekend night). My husband said it was even worse after the Processional let out, to the point that he could barely see/manage the stroller.

I took the bus back and found out in the app that we were being charged for parking even though we didn’t have a car with us, so I sorted that out at the front desk. They were very friendly and the charges were gone the next day.

We had a mish mash dinner from Geyer Point (take out side) and Roaring Fork when my husband and 3 yo got back, plus stopped to roast marshmallows (a free WL activity) while we were walking around. We spent the rest of the night packing and getting ready for our return home the next day.

5 Likes

Saturday, Dec 14
11,034 steps
Hi: 75 Lo: 66

ANIMAL KINGDOM
CL: 5

We woke up to several weather sites predicting severe thunderstorms, and after the rainy weather we had had the last few days, my parents wanted to cancel going to AK. I had FOP FP, though, and had been looking forward to it the whole trip since we had never been on it before. I talked them into going because most of our plans were indoors, and, as it turned out, we ended up with perfect weather all day!

The weather debate made us cancel our early KS FP, and we started trying to get a Minnie van around 9:30, but didn’t see any available in the app for about 20 minutes. Once ordered, it arrived quickly. In the meantime, we cleared out the room and took our luggage to the front desk to hold until we returned for our ME.

We were at the park by 10:15 and my mom watched the kids while my dad, husband, and I went on FOP. I had hoped they could hang out in Nomad Lounge, but it doesn’t open until 11:30. Instead, they just pulled off to the side of the path near Tiffins instead and played with stickers and coloring books while they waited.

Flight of Passage lived up to the hype for us! My husband and dad didn’t really know what to expect, so they were really blown away, and even I, the trip planner/researcher who knew what the ride was, had so much fun.

Our next FP was for Finding Nemo the Musical, so we headed that direction but stopped for a quick lunch of hot dogs at the cart near Tiffins and Pizzasaurus. At Nemo, we got seats along the walkway that comes out from the stage, which was really fun since you get a little more character interaction (Bruce chomped at us!). The music and costuming make this one of my favorite entertainment places in all of WDW, and we have been listening to it on our Alexa ever since.

Fun fact: the musical was written by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, who wrote both “Let It Go” from Frozen and “Remember Me” from Coco. No wonder the kids love it!

With a little more time to kill before our ME, we did Triceratops Spin and Met Scrooge before returning to WL. We picked up our bags from the front desk, used the bathrooms, and waited outside for the bus to arrive.

Our Magical Express return experience was a mixed bag. Ours from WL was on time and headed straight to the airport, and we had enough room to stretch out a bit in the back for the kids to nap. My parents’ bus (at BLT) was 20 minutes late, made two additional stops, and didn’t leave for MCO until over an hour after they were picked up. They said some people got off during the stops to hail a taxi instead because they were worried they would miss their flights. Security lines were estimated at 35-40 minutes, but luckily they had Pre-Check, so it wasn’t a problem for them. However, next time, they said they would just get a taxi/Uber.

Final Thoughts
And that is that! We had some high highs (FOLK package! Great dining! Lots of cute character meets!) and low lows (MVMCP! Rain that didn’t stop! I got carded without a card and I still want that wine!), but overall it was a good trip with lots of memories made. Hopefully all of our mistakes/problems were not in vain and can help some of you out with your planning.

I said it would be awhile until we returned to WDW… but then last month, we booked rooms and I’ve already laid out dining reservation plans for next December, so I will continue to see you all around the forum! Thanks for reading :hugs:

FIN

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing…love that you include the good and the not so good of your trip!

1 Like