Trip Report - 5/31/15 - 6/5/15

At the Marvel area, we started with one of my favorites - Spiderman! The first time I rode this, I was totally blown away. This was around 1999, I think. In 2015, it is still a great ride but after doing Transformers and the two Harry Potter rides, it wasn’t quite as thrilling as it was back then. Still really enjoy it, though.

Next, DD7 and I wanted to try the Dr. Doom towers. DS12 not so into straight down drops so he went to try Storm Force.

The general consensus for both of these was “Meh.”

We did see Dr. Doom on the way out of his ride, though, which was kind of cool…

Next, it was time for the Incredible Hulk. We used Express Pass, of course, but there came a point where the line wasn’t moving. We were almost to the loading area so I was able to see that the employees were holding paper towels and some kind of cleaner and were focused on a couple of the rows. Uh-oh - it would seem as though someone may have lost their lunch whilst riding the Hulk. When I worked at Disney, we used to call that a “protein spill” and it was never a good thing. Finally, I guess they got it cleaned up, although, they did not load people into those rows. When that particular coaster came around again, I noticed they DID start loading people into those rows but, thankfully, it wasn’t US!

Undaunted by the barf roulette we were playing, the kids wanted to go again. I sat the next one out and joined DW to wait in the picture area.

With Hulk under our belts, we turned our attention to Seuss Landing. When the kids were smaller, we really appreciated this area. It is very well done and lots of fun stuff for kids to do. They didn’t appreciate it as much this time but we still had fun. We did Cat in the Hat and the High in the Sky Trolley. The kids also did a little exploring in the “If I Ran the Zoo” area.

6 Likes

Really enjoying your report! Love the detail! Thank you!! :smile:

1 Like

After Seuss, I can’t remember what time it was but it wasn’t time for our dinner reservation yet. I want to say around 4 or 4:30. We went back to Hogsmeade so the kids could go on the Dragon Challenge again. DW and I waited for them around the exit. Just before they got off, it started to rain. We donned our rain jackets and the kids and I decided to go on Forbidden Journey. DW said she was going to go ahead to Mythos and wait inside there out of the rain.

The wait was posted at 20 or 30 minutes. We got to the green house before we had to wait so that was about right. Thankfully, we were in the green house area because all of a sudden, it POURED. You could hear it loudly on the roof. Even though we had rain coats, I was glad we weren’t in that. Poor DW did get caught in it on her way to Mythos but didn’t get too wet. We went through the queue and onto the ride. When we exited the ride, the rain had mostly stopped. It was just a light sprinkle.

We headed over to Mythos for our 5:30pm reservation. DW was waiting inside for us near the host stand.

We really liked Mythos. Now, the service wasn’t the quickest but it was very friendly and the food was delicious. The prices are also quite reasonable there, we thought. We started with the Mediterranean Flat Bread (roasted artichoke hearts, olives, bacon with cheddar and mozzarella cheese and a roasted red pepper sauce). It was good and didn’t last very long.

For our entrees, DW had the Mythos Signature Hamburger (topped with braised pulled pork, jalapeno jack cheese, creamy coleslaw, tabasco onions and smoked chili BBQ glaze served with french fries). She LOVED it. In fact, when we ate at Mythos for the second time on Thursday, she got it again.

I got the Cranberry Blue Cheese Crusted Pork (pan seared pork loin with green beans sautéed in brown butter, Yukon and sweet potato mash, apple brandy sauce and julienne apples). Everything was delicious. I even ate the green beans and I don’t even like green beans. The pork was cooked just right and very flavorful. I would definitely recommend and would get it again.

The kids were also happy with theirs. I think DD7 got pizza off the kids menu and DS12 got a burger.

Great meal - probably our best of the week. I like the atmosphere there too. It’s kind of like you’re in a big cave.

By the time we finished dinner, it was approaching 7 pm. The plan for after dinner was to go on Forbidden Journey again and then take the Hogwarts Express over to Diagon Alley to go on Gringotts. Since DW didn’t plan on going on either, she decided to go back to the hotel for a little R and R. It was lightly raining when we got out and would continue for the rest of the evening. It really wasn’t bad, though, with our rain coats.

Kids and I headed to Forbidden Journey. This time, I had to use the stupid lockers. Again, if you have any way to avoid them, avoid them. It wasn’t even a really busy time and it was still annoying in there. I think the posted wait time was 15 or 20 minutes.

After Forbidden Journey, we went to the Hogsmeade Station and rode the Hogwarts Express. As you probably already know, there are different things to see each way so it was fun to do it again going the other direction.

We arrived at King’s Crossing and noticed the Knight Bus driver was out. We went over and got pictures with him and also talked to the shrunken head which was fun.

Gringotts was posting a 30 minute wait so we got in line for that. This was probably around 8 pm or maybe a little before.

After Gringotts, we got some Butterbeer ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s. We liked it. Others really seem to rave about it. I thought it was good but not like it was the greatest thing ever. I’m glad we got to try it. I also didn’t realize that when you get the regular ice cream (Butterbeer is soft serve), you have to get two scoops. I don’t know why that is. I found it a little annoying but we were mainly there to get the Butterbeer soft serve so no matter. I have seen, though, from other Liners that you can ask to have each scoop put in different cups so that is good to know.

We also got a bottle of Pumpkin Juice at Florean’s just to try. None of us really cared for that but the bottle was cute.

After the ice cream and Pumpkin Juice, DD asked if we could go on the Simpsons ride. I said “sure” so we went over and did that.

When we finished the Simpsons, it was around 8:45 pm. We started to head for the entrance and I also wanted to do Despicable Me thinking there would probably be a short wait for that.

The posted time was 35 minutes but with Express Pass, we got right in to the pre-show area.

After that, we headed out and went back to the hotel.

Another fun, successful day!

5 Likes

DAY FIVE - Wednesday, June 3rd - No Park/Chill Day

Over the last several Orlando vacations, I have learned to schedule a non-park day. These are always much needed and much appreciated.

On this day, we slept in, which for DW, DD and me, meant 7:30. The three of us went to the breakfast buffet at Islands Dining room while DS continued to sleep. It was very nice and we really enjoyed it. You can order off the menu if you want to but the buffet had every thing we wanted. There is also an omelette station which was very good.

After breakfast, we changed into our swimsuits so we could do some pool hopping. My kids aren’t all that into pool water slides for some reason. They do really like lazy rivers, though. So, I decided we should start with Cabana Bay for our pool hopping excursion.

Now that I’m thinking about it, this was actually where I made my biggest mistake. Not going to Cabana Bay but, rather, not making sure I knew how to GET to Cabana Bay. I knew I’d seen a sign on the path some where that listed Cabana Bay as a place you could use the path to get to. We started by walking over to near the Water Taxis and checking out that path. No sign for Cabana Bay there. Then, we walked to the end of the hotel past Tchoup Chop and where the Pacifica Ball room ends. (not sure how to describe it). From there, we could see the Sapphire Falls construction and could also see Cabana Bay but didn’t see any kind of path or instruction.

Now, let me stop here and say that had we started walking up the road away from the hotel, we would have intersected with the path to Cabana Bay. We would have first walked by the guard shack for the entrance and sign for the Royal Pacifica ball room. Then, had we hung a left, we would have been on the path and it would not have been that long of a walk to Cabana Bay.

What we did instead was walk all the way back to the front of the hotel and I went to the front desk to ask. They told me that if I went out the front door and went left and then left at the path that would get us heading toward Cabana Bay. So, we did this and, true, we did get on the right path and there were signs pointing to Cabana Bay. However, it was a more roundabout way and took longer than I had anticipated. Not to say the front desk was wrong sending us that way. They didn’t know that we’d just come from where we had and I’m sure, for sake of ease and understanding, that was the best way to send us. At any rate, we did finally make it to Cabana Bay!

Cabana Bay is really big. The first area we went into was the pool and slide. The lazy river, though, was in a different section.

A quick word about pool hopping at Universal. (at least based on our limited experience) We never needed to show or even use our room keys. At Royal Pacific, the gates just open when you turn the thing to open them. And no one ever asked to see a key. At Cabana Bay, the gates to the pool areas were wide open so we were able to just walk right in. I don’t know if that is always the case, but that is how it was that day.

We got to the lazy river area and it was really nice. We found a table right next to it and put our stuff there. I went to the Tube Shack and bought a couple of inner tubes. I paid $8 for one and $12 for another. It is my understanding (again, from other Liners) that you can bring your own tubes and they will even blow them up for you. Apparently, you can also borrow floats from Royal Pacific. And you don’t have to have tubes to use the lazy river, I just thought it would be more fun.

We spent a while in the lazy river and we also went into the pool near it as well. After a couple of hours, we were getting hungry. There is a nice quick service food area at Cabana Bay - Bayliner Diner. We thought about eating there but I really wanted to try Jake’s back at the Royal Pacific. We went ahead and got some snacks and drinks for the kids and then walked back to Royal Pacific (lugging the tubes, I might add).

The walk back was quicker because we saw the sign for Royal Pacifica ball room and turned off the path there. That led us right to where we had been earlier that morning and all I could say was “D’oh!”

We dropped the tubes off in the room and changed, then went to Jake’s American Bar.

We really liked this place. First of all, if you like beer, there is a beer flight where you get to select four beers to try. I think it was $10. If you end up ordering one of those beers, they only charge you $5 for it instead of $8.

For the appetizer, I wanted to try the Pretzel Rods. The family made fun of me but it was I who had the last laugh as this ended up being one of our favorite items there.

For entrees, DW got the Buffalo Chicken Pizza and I got the Beef Steak Flatbread (Caramelized Onion, Blue Cheese, Cabernet Glaze). Both were really good. DW liked hers so much that when we went there again the next day, she ordered it. She is loyal like that. :smile:

After lunch, we went back to the room and just chilled out - reading, playing on the DS. Some of us had a bit of a “chat” problem and spent most of the time on their phone relating events of the day through the Lines app…This became known for the rest of the trip as “Daddy talking to his imaginary friends”. :wink:

DD and I also went out at one point to go in the RP pool which was nice.

Around 5 pm or so, we decided to go over to City Walk to eat dinner. When we got there, it was really crowded. Looked like a lot of people were exiting the parks but just generally speaking, there were a lot of people. We walked around a little and went into a couple of the shops. Then, we went over to Bubba Gumps to check on the wait. In the past, this was one of our favorite places to eat in Orlando. We haven’t been to the Orlando one since before Landry’s bought them. We did go to one that opened up in Galveston (owned by Landry’s) which is about an hour south of Houston, and were very disappointed. The appetizers we’d loved in Orlando were more fishy tasting and just not as good.

4 Likes

Really awesome recaps! Sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Forgot to mention that originally, I had made a reservation for Tchoup Chop for dinner on this evening. While we were at lunch at Jake’s, DW and I discussed and decided to do CityWalk instead. It was very easy to cancel the reservation. I just did it from a link in the confirmation e-mail I’d received.

Ok, so we went over to Bubba Gumps and the wait for a table was about 30/35 minutes. We were already having some concerns about Bubba Gumps from our Galveston experience and decided we really didn’t want to have to wait around that long so we skipped it. We ended up going to Antojitos where they were able to seat us right away.

I think, overall, it was a pleasant experience - service was good, we sat outside, which was nice. Food was good but not great. (at least the things I had)

To start, we ordered the Esquites Asados, which is “roasted corn, queso fresco, jalapeño mayonnaise, and ancho chile. Served with just made tortilla chips”. We were disappointed because I didn’t taste any hit of spice or ancho chile flavor. It just tasted like slightly grilled corn.

For our entree, DW and I shared the Carnitas al Pastor - “Beer and chile braised pork, grilled pineapple, guajillo salsa”. She really liked them. I thought they were pretty good.

Chips and salsa were also good and we got a side of guacamole which was good too. The side of guac was $3 compared to the tableside guacamole which is $14. We thought that a little pricey for some avocado and garlic. (yeah, I know, there’s a few more ingredients and they make it fresh right at the table, but still…)

So, a decent meal overall at Antojitos.

After dinner, we walked back to the hotel. Right now, I am drawing a blank about the rest of the night. I think we pretty much just chilled for the rest of the evening.

2 Likes

DAY SIX - Thursday, June 4th - Last Day in the Parks! :frowning:

I might also title this “Best Day Ever!” 'cause we really hit everything pretty perfectly on this last day.

Basically, I wanted to use this day to re-ride everyone’s favorites and to possibly hit things we missed the other two days. The only things we really missed were Terminator and Horror Make-Up Show. While I do enjoy both of these, no one was absolutely feeling like they needed to do them so they remained skipped for this trip.

I flirted with the idea of starting in IOA to take advantage of Early Entry and really get the max park time out of our last day. Ultimately, though, I decided a couple of things. 1. Early Entry at IOA really isn’t a great advantage for riding Forbidden Journey. You’re better off saving that for the evening. I do think it has an advantage for general Hogsmeade exploration. 2. I didn’t want to have to get early enough to really take advantage of EE. Also - with USF opening at 8:30, we would really only be missing a half hour.

So, my decision was to do USF but to get there by 8:15 or so in order to take advantage of the 8:30 opening. This turned out to be a very good decision.

When we got to the gates at just after 8:15, there was nobody lined up at the center gate. Everyone was to the left and right where the turnstiles are. Just as I was thinking “ha ha, they don’t know about the center!”, one of the Team Members announced to everyone that the center was also available for entering the park. Suddenly, people started to shift over. Oh no! Luckily, though, DS12 had the wherewithal to run straight to the center and he ended up being second in line. We joined him very shortly after.

When they opened the gates at 8:30, we walked with purpose to Diagon Alley. By the way, using directions I saw on Lines chat REALLY helped us. I referred to it just before we went in and they worked like a charm. We ended up being quite a ways ahead of the rest of the pack. When we walked into Diagon Alley, we saw no one except a few employees. It was pretty awesome!

Here is what it looked like walking to London. Note, that guy in front of us is an employee.

A little further up - here you can see some people (guests) in front of us but it was a family who were already in the park at opening. They did this little ceremony where the kids got to “open” the park.

Here is the best part. See that ONE kid in Diagon Alley? That’s DS12! There was nobody there! (I think the people who were in front of us were in Gringotts at that point)

6 Likes

Ok, so after basking in the gloriousness of an empty Diagon Alley, we went over to Gringotts. Basically walked straight through up to the point just before you go in the room with the goblin and Bill Weasley talking to you. The hallway right after they take your photos. Interestingly, they were not yet set up for photos so we bypassed that. We were 6th in line. They held us there for about 5 minutes and then, at around 8:45, they let us into that first room. Well, actually, the room before that with the safety spiel and THEN the room with the goblin and Bill.

When we got off the ride it was around 9:05 and a 20 minute posted wait. We got back in line and rode it again. I don’t think it was a 20 minute wait yet. This time, they did take our pictures.

After Gringotts, we met back up with DW and headed to the Hopping Pot to get some Butterbeer. Took a little break and then went to Men In Black, which was DW’s “do-over” choice. Next, we went on the Simpsons ride. Upon exiting, we saw that Krusty and Sideshow Bob were out so we got in line to see them and get our pictures taken. Actually, there wasn’t even much of a line. Only one family in front of us. After that, we walked through Springfield and took more pictures and also visited the Kwik-E-Mart.

Next on the agenda was Transformers so we headed over there. After Transformers, DS and I went on Revenge of the Mummy twice. Love that ride!

Unlike the previous days in the park, we weren’t getting the nice cloud cover and it was actually pretty hot. It was around noon so we decided to go back to the hotel for lunch and a break.

As we were walking, I noticed the Water Taxi was available. I suggested we take that back but DW and DS didn’t want to. They thought it would be faster to walk. I told them even so, it was hot and the water taxi would be a more comfortable way to go. They were set on walking so DD and I went down to the water taxi.

For the sake of being obnoxious and to prove that I was right, I took the picture below of us passing DW as she walked and we taxied. I also videoed it for good measure. :smile:

For lunch, we went to Jake’s American Bar. DW got her Buffalo Chicken pizza and I got the B-1 Bomber burger which was really good. While we were at lunch, we decided that for dinner, we wanted to go to Mythos again. Using the Universal app, I pulled up the number and called for a reservation. There were plenty of times available and I made one for 5:30 pm. So, again, I definitely recommend making dining reservations even if it’s the day of. They seem to be pretty easy to get. Fast forward to when we went to dinner and people who didn’t have reservations were getting turned away.

We stayed at the hotel until around 3 pm. It was just some nice, cool, peaceful downtime. For Part 2 of the day, we walked over to Islands of Adventure.

We started with Hulk and rode it twice. Next was Spiderman. We skipped the water rides at Toon Lagoon because we didn’t want to go through the whole changing into swimsuits again. Went to Jurassic Park, though, and turned out we might as well have. We all had raincoats on but ended up getting soaked anyway. DD’s wasn’t zipped up all the way so water still got in. My upper half was mostly dry but shorts got soaked. We did it two times just to really make sure we were nice and wet.

After JP, we walked through Hogsmeade on the way to Mythos for our dinner reservation. It was REALLY crowded. This was around 5:15 or so. Anyway, we were glad to get out of the mass of people and go over to the relative quiet of Mythos and the Lost Continent.

Dinner at Mythos was really good again. DW got her burger and I tried the Risotto of the Day. That turned out to be a great choice. It was wild mushroom risotto with braised beef. It was very flavorful and I enjoyed it. I also got the side salad which was good.

When we finished dinner, it was approaching 7 pm. We went over to Hogsmeade and Forbidden Journey was posting a 15 or 20 minute wait. In the span of 45 minutes, we rode it three times in a row. Nice!! And that is why I say save Forbidden Journey for evening. No way we would have been able to do that during Early Entry. Even if at the front of the line, I imagine you would be able to ride it the first time pretty quickly but after that, the line would build up. Of course, there is always the single rider line. I keep forgetting about that but for us, we wanted to be together each time. Maybe next time we will try it too.

After our Forbidden Journey marathon, we went over to the Hogwarts Express. I wanted to see the Cinematic Spectacular and thought that would be a nice way to end our day. I was the only one who wanted to do this. Actually, DW was game but the kids were kind of complaining about it. But, they also acknowledged that my awesome planning had allowed them to have tons more fun than they might otherwise so they went along with it.

Once we got to USF, we found a place to stand and watch. We were between San Francisco and London Waterfront - more on the London side and had a pretty good view.

It’s a good show. I wouldn’t necessarily say “not to be missed” but if you like movies (as I do), it’s fun. DS really liked it and was glad I “forced” him to go. Unfortunately, there is a part that was a bit much for DD so she and DW left early. It is a section on horror movies and some of the images were a little intense for a 7 year old. “Psycho”, “Halloween” and “Silence of the Lambs” were just a few of the movies they showed clips from if that gives you an idea.

So, after the Spectacular, DS and I walked back to the hotel. It was crowded walking out but I really appreciated being able to walk back to the hotel vs. all the chaos you find yourself in after a Disney nighttime fireworks show. I know we’ve waited a LOOOONNNG time for a bus after those and often had to stand all the way. Once we got out of City Walk and onto our path, it was not bad at all.

Another great day at Universal!

2 Likes

Your trip was so amazing! Really enjoying the read!

I’m sure your DW appreciates your picture - Lol!

1 Like

DAYS SEVEN AND EIGHT - Friday, June 5th and Saturday, June 6th - The Trip Home

I won’t spend a lot of time on this 'cause, really, who cares about a long drive home, right? :smile:

On Friday, we got up fairly leisurely and went to breakfast at Islands for the buffet. Afterward, the kids and I went swimming while DW packed up everything. It was really nice because there were hardly any people at the pool that early. I think it was around 8:30 am or so. Once we were packed up, we headed out.

The drive was uneventful. I guess one thing I’ll share is that we weren’t sure where we were going to spend the night on Friday. We briefly toyed with the idea of driving straight through but that was going to put us home at midnight or 1 am and we just didn’t feel like it. Looked at some of the casino resorts in Biloxi and that area but they were all pretty pricey. Like $300/night which was more than we wanted to spend for a stopover. Ultimately, on Priceline, I found a hotel in Mobile, AL. I put in 4 star for the criteria and there was only one that came up. Got it for $126 which I was happy with. It’s in downtown Mobile and it’s called The Battle House Renaissance. We really liked it. It was a little fancier than what we are used to. We were joking about looking like the Clampetts walking in. Anyway, very nice and affordable place to stay if you are passing through Mobile. It had a nice rooftop pool which we used that evening. Also two restaurants and a lounge. We ate at the more casual restaurant and it was pretty good. We were glad that we decided to stop. We’d been driving for seven hours so it was great to have a good dinner and then also have some pool time.

On Saturday, we got up at 6 am and hit the road so we could get home as early as possible. Pretty smooth trip and by 3 pm we were home.

Prior to our trips, I always think I’m going to be so depressed about leaving but I was actually a-ok. I was really happy because we did just about everything I wanted to and more. I felt satisfied and thought that the amount of time we spent there was perfect.

We tend to be “every other year” people for Orlando. That way we know we are going again but it gives a pretty good amount of time to build up anticipation and also for new stuff to open. So, looking ahead, I’m guessing we will be back in 2017. At this point, I don’t know if it will be WDW or UOR. I really like just picking one and focusing on it. I know UOR has King Kong and Volcano Bay coming up but if WDW gets their act together and they have a Star Wars Land up by then, that would be really hard for me to pass up. I’m not all that excited about Avatar which I think may be up and running by 2017. If it’s done right, though, I’m sure it will be cool. We love both WDW and UOR. DS did tell me on this trip that he thinks he likes UOR more which I understand now that he is more into the thrill rides (and DD too).

Thanks for following along. Hopefully this will help others plan their own awesome vacation. If nothing else, I love getting the chance to relive all the fun we had! :smile:

6 Likes

It was indeed, thanks!

LOL - luckily for me she is a good sport! :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Can you share the walking directions from front gate of Studios to Gringotts? I haven’t seen it on Lines but it sounds like a great Liner tip!

When I typed that, I thought to myself “you ought to actually post the directions” but then I couldn’t find them again either. Couldn’t remember which thread they were in. From my not so good memory, I think it was this - head toward Despicable Me and then just past Shrek, take a right. Then, take a left after Transformers. Keep the water to your right and continue to London Waterfront/Diagon Alley. Worked great for us!

Here is the map for a better visual: Universal Orlando

2 Likes

Thanks @TallAndGoofy! That makes sense.

FYI - that worked for us on our trip, however, I just read that now they are doing Early Entry for both parks and they force you to take a different way over to Diagon Alley. :frowning:

@TallAndGoofy, thanks! That was very thoughtful of you to follow up once you learned that. I guess I’ll have to play it by ear, not something that comes easily to a Type A planner like myself. ; )

We were lucky enough to be there during Spring Break when it was cooler and ended up buying one of the Ravenclaw robes at Madame Malkins which has an awesome inside pocket that fits the wand perfectly! It was a completely unplanned purchase the first morning we were there. We went in early in the day when it wasn’t crowded and a lovely young lady very kindly fitted my youngest with her house robe so we could take a picture of DD and we went back 20,minutes later cause it did look super cool on her and it gave her a place to carry her wand. It ended up being one of the highlights of the trip for all of us, even with the steep price tag. She wore it virtually every day of our six day trip and it was really fun seeing the witches and wizards in Diagon Alley and Hogesmead interact with her and her Muggle family.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your trip report! It was very helpful since we are considering our first Universal trip.

Love your trip report–thanks for posting! :blush: