Trip in 30 days. Can't cancel or reschedule

I have 7 nights through DVC rental and emailed Dave’s DVC. An auto response email said that I would be contacted if the park closure was extended.

Am I honestly supposed to wait until the last minute until I can find out if I have to go on a huge trip. Do I have any recourse. Is anyone in a similar situation? I’d rather just reschedule for next year but I don’t know what to do…

Some of the info in this thread might be helpful and/or give you some Liners that you can ask for advice.

1 Like

Yeah I read through there… might have even posted. Dave’s seems to be coming through when the park is actually closed. I’m worried about the opposite. What if WDW opens 3 days before I’m suppose to go and now i have no option but to drop everything and go or be out a lot of money…

EDIT: I just called Disney DVC even though they can’t help and they said we would at least have 7 days notice before opening…

1 Like

We were supposed to go this Sat and also rented points thru Dave’s. To answer your question, unfortunately you have to wait until Disney is officially closed to know if you have to use your Dave’s reservation b/c of their no cancellation policy. The day Disney officially closed our dates I was on the phone/emailing with airline, UT for tickets and Dave’s via email to see about refunds/credits. It was basically right at 7 days before our trip was to take place that we received the email to accept credit with our DVS rental via Dave’s. I was frustrated, too, with the unknown and the waiting but IMHO, I would just prepare as if you are going until you get official notice. Since it appears Disney is updating the calendar every Thurs you should have a good idea a couple weeks in advance of if your trip will happen or not. Hope ya’ll get to go!

3 Likes

I am in the exact same situation on with DVC Rental Store. We are supposed to go July 17th for 8 nights. I too would much rather go next year. I reached out to my agent with DVC Rental Store and she gave me a rather curt reply saying essentially, you are expected to fulfil your contract (I haven’t paid my $1700 balance yet, but they still have $2300 of my other dollars). So I am in a spot where I have to wait, and hope that Disney remains closed through my check in date. I have to pay my balance by June 2nd. I think I have two options, first is to pay the balance and hope for the best. Secondly, what I thought about doing it to see if they can move my reservation up a few weeks to where I can be sure Disney is still closed. So I am in a total jam. No trip is worth risking your life over, but it is a ton of money to throw away, Ugh………

2 Likes

Supposed to go June 23rd…sitting here, waiting for Disney to make a decision about my dates…

1 Like

I wonder what they will do if they reopen but you are coming from a place that Florida imposes a mandatory 14 day self quarantine like New York and Louisiana?

3 Likes

This.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t be able to do that without points available for the resort you are booked at.

1 Like

I had seen somewhere that folks coming from NY had reservations cancelled where locals did not? Totally can’t remember where I saw or heard that so this is completely unreliable. But from that anecdote it would seem they are considering those reservations as impossible to keep. I would hardly think they would want to force to keep them and then have people breaking quarantine.

2 Likes

Yes but it is a whole different ball game for folks that have rented points without trip insurance. These people are completely at the mercy of the people they are renting from …… Disney is doing the right thing with the folks that booked directly with them but this other subset of guest are completely vulnerable.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, we had 3 weeks notice for our cancelled trip. They have been cancelling on a rolling basis every week on Wednesday (yesterday they cancelled through June 13th), so if your trip is in 30 days, you should hear in about 9 days + the number of days till Wednesday.

Edit: If you have your start date I could do the math for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh ok that a bit better. Thanks for the info!

I refused the trip insurance because my credit card covers trip what insurance would have covered. Looking over most of the policies offered from third parties, they state specific exemptions for terrorist acts (see 9/11) and pandemics (H1N1, MERs and SARs previously). I believe a lot of people with trip insurance are not protected from this. I’ve even read cases were people have to go to court because they had the trip insurance during the declared pandemic so it should have been valid but yeah…

I just want the opportunity to reschedule. Disney is obviously accommodating point holders now. I don’t see why it would be an issue for Dave’s. Not sure I want to be the first group of people to test out the New Disney World.

1 Like

Dave’s and DVC Rental Store are making a point of reminding us that they are simply middle men and that the contract is between you and the DVC Member. It is a chicken response in my opinion. Do your job and take care of the customer for god’s sake!

2 Likes

But… they’re right?

I don’t think it relieves them of all responsibility But you know going in that you’re renting points from a person and David’s is just brokering that transaction.

1 Like

Yes, but it would be super nice if the brokers would allow renters to communicate directly with owners. I’d love to be able to tell the owners we’re renting from what’s going on and how is ideally like to handle it. Maybe the owners won’t care what my situation is; that’s their right. But at least I’d know that they got my message and had a chance to help me out.

1 Like

I get that.

1 Like

Not even directly. I emailed Dave’s asking them if they could reach out to the owners just as a head up saying i’d be willing reschedule as soon as Disney stated they were working with DVC owners. But nope just generic email replies…

1 Like

Yup, I’m in the same spot you are. My check in date is June 28. I live in NY. It’s not happening.

1 Like