Trip booked for May!

I just booked our trip for May! 4/30-5/3. We specifically picked that weekend because it’s derby week and my DS6 is out of school that Friday for oaks day (we live in the Louisville area).
I am so excited to have a trip to plan!!!
Does anyone have advice on mask wearing tips for my DS2? He will be 2years 8 months when we go, but right now the longest he will wear a mask is maybe 3 mins?
Will he have to wear it in the stroller? Obviously he will need it in line, on rides, and when walking. Just curious about how diligent they are about enforcing it for 2 year olds.
We will have our own car, so we won’t have to worry about it then.

8 Likes

Congrats on the trip!!! It will be here before you know it!

2 Likes

Thank you! I am excited. DS2 will hopefully be potty trained by then. We are using the trip as incentive!
He says “Georgie pees on potty. Georgie goes to Disney world” :joy:

8 Likes

Haha. Whatever works!

1 Like

Oh dear I am feeling like a slacker. We are going at the end of May and are hoping our DS4 is potty trained by then! Our older kids were potty trained around age 3 but this one has just dragged her feet and we’ve tried not to fight too hard. She’s finally starting to make progress.

I can’t imagine training at age 2 - we’ve had glimmers of hope a couple times in that time period with each kid but it never quite gets off the ground. I imagine if we had day care we would try harder.

5 Likes

My son, I tried everything and he was 3.5 but daughter the moment she turned two years and two months old asked me for panties. I did nothing literally nothing. Just like that she was trained. That’s about still how they are. With son I beg and plead for him to be responsible and do school and with daughter I just give her space and let her do her thing. I think it’s just who they are and when they’re ready they let you know. I’m hoping the same is true for maturity

6 Likes

Same but in reverse. DD was tough and we tried early but set it aside when it was clear she wasn’t ready and she was probably 3.5 before she was done. DS just decided one day and that was that.

That’s the only thing he’s ever been easy about. :joy:

4 Likes

Haha, you’re not a slacker! We use the 3 day potty training boot camp to get him started. My older son was actually fully trained after the 3 days. DS2 is a little more stubborn and wants to do things his way. But he’s well on his way, and I would love to not have to carry a ton of diapers to the parks.
We’ve planted the idea that he needs to potty before our trip so we will see how it goes. Not a deal breaker if he’s still in pull-ups.

1 Like

Our DD was potty trained before our trip when she was 2ish…until we got to Disney. Suddenly she refused to use the toilets. We were so frustrated…until closer to the end of the trip when she asked about the red eye. We didn’t know what she meant. But then my wife realized…the red eye is the automatic flusher sensor. She was terrified because it would flush while sitting on the toilet.

We were then advised to bring along Post It notes when taking her into a restroom so that it could be placed over the red eye until she is safely off the toilet! It solved the problem from then on.

4 Likes

Those toilets will suck your insides out if you linger too long and it activates. I can imagine it would also take a 2 year old completely. She was right to be fearful

1 Like

Yes! We did this with my DS6 when we went on his first trip at 2yrs. He hated the automatic flushers. The post it’s are a life saver! Also, my older son has some issues with noise, so he covered his ears before the flush too.

1 Like

Hahaha i totally relate. My DS hated public toilets! Even the ones that didnt make a lot of noise. He was totally potty trained at 2.5 when we left for disney…we got there and refused to use any bathroom but the hotel :roll_eyes::rofl: made for an interesting week. Luckily he realized if he went to the bathroom with DH there were urinals! Game changer

1 Like

We are going the week after you for an extended trip. My DD is about the same age and hardly wears a mask. We have been practicing a lot if we run to the store and it helps.

Not sure how strict Disney is if they are in the stroller. I don’t plan on making my daughter wear a mask if she’s napping in the stroller.

Biggest tip is to buy ones that are the right fit. We’ve bought quite a few to get the right fit and returned a lot that weren’t good enough. My DD is much more likely to wear it if it fits right and she doesn’t have to adjust it.

1 Like

We went in November when my son was 2 years, 6 months. We only did masks for quick trips into the store. Everyone said to practice, so about 2 days before Disney, we all wore masks in the house for the day. Well, until lunch, anyway. And that was it for practice.

We did our best to follow the rules, which were wearing masks unless eating. There were a few times we took his mask off, like when walking back to the hotel from HS in the middle of the day when there was no one on the pathway and we were headed straight back to our room. He had no problem wearing it for naps in the stroller- he just fell asleep like that and I wasn’t about to risk waking him up to take off his mask :sweat_smile: There was an occasional temper tantrum where he tore off his mask, and we just let that go until he calmed down enough to accept the suggestion that he put it back on. But for the most part, he did phenomenally. There was one time when a CM asked him to put his mask back on. I don’t remember what the circumstance was, but it clearly wasn’t when he was eating. She was very polite, and we had no problem with her asking- she’s doing her job, and we appreciate that!

Your trip is short enough that i think your little one will do great. Ours was 9 nights and 10 days, and mask wearing got progressively harder for him so that by day 8 or 9, he was OVER IT. Once we left Disney property, we didn’t put a mask on him again. It wasn’t worth the fight. I would have planned a shorter trip had I known.

2 Likes

Also, these masks were awesome. Breathable, easy to take on and off, and fit just right on his little face. He’s still wearing them and he’ll be 3 next month.

https://rafinova.com/collections/kids-masks/products/organic-cotton

2 Likes

Only one accident today, so we are on the right track.
However, he goes back to daycare tomorrow and is very reluctant with potty training there. So it’s a work in progress :joy:
I do get him to wear a mask for 8 minutes around the house today! Yes, obviously 8 mins is not enough but it’s the longest he’s gone so far.

3 Likes

I have six kids. Oldest is now 20.
As yet the hardest part to parenting has been potty training.
Never fun.
2y 10m was our sweet spot. For me independence in the bathroom was my goal, not freedom for diapers. I at least had some control with diapers vs being called to help at the whim of a toddler bladder.

No idea about masks. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Cast members will ask your child to mask up in the stroller. I’ve seen it more than once. They’re very nice about it, however. Often the parent doesn’t know the mask is off because they’re pushing the stroller and can’t see! The exception would be if you have a sun cover that pulls down so the child’s face isn’t visible.

3 Likes

I’m jelly about all these 2 & 3 year old that are potty trained…
DS is about to be…6. :woman_facepalming:
Because of his disabilities, he’s more like 2 developmentally.
Still. I’m REALLY tired of diapers. Especially diapers at Disney. All the diapers, wipes, bed pads, & swim diapers take up half a suitcase when we go.

5 Likes

Thank you for this! We are practicing, so I’m hopeful he will at least be tolerable of the masks by then.