Travel agent wooes

I would only expect a general email from a travel agency regarding a discount offered to the general public. I would expect a TA to focus on clients with booked packages on those days, and to spend their time focused on those bookings and maybe send out something to their past clients after that was completed (that could be days later)?

I don’t think I have ever received an email/notice from any agency on an AP discount. Is that a discount most agents track?

2 Likes

As I am not a travel agent, I will share a link to this forum post: https://forum.touringplans.com/t/liner-tas-with-special-permission-if-youre-looking-for-one-you-can-find-one-here/9367

It includes a link “find the most up to date list here” that is an older list of touringnplans memeber who are TAs. You will see some familiar names.

I am also guessing the touringplans travel agency will help you find the bargain.

Yep, you’re a liner :wink:

Like literally any product or service, there will be gems and lemons. Like any post about the failure of a product or service, there will be defenders and detractors… and sometimes apologists.

To add my own small sample size anecdotal experience, I’ve used three different travel agents on three separate WDW vacations. On each occasion, I eventually determined that my TA was in fact doing the job as a part time side hustle, where the periods of radio blackout (presumably doing their “real” job) inconveniently coincided with critical discount drops, and other issues where time was sensitive. Having to advise a TA of a discount opportunity rather than the other way around, then watching the available pool of ressies evaporate while the TA took their sweet time reacting, convinced me over multiple rehashes of the scenario that I was better off doing it myself. Never regretted that decision.

1 Like

I used to be anti-TA. I remember as a kid doing price comparisons on flights. This was pre-internet so I was calling. I got my best rate then I called a TA to see if they had something better priced. It was obvious the TA didn’t even try. Few times over the years I’d try again and same experience. Then I started a job which required a great deal of travel. Company had internal travel agents that we had to use. They ended up being fired after they booked me in a Days Inn and the room literally had a still-tacky bloody body shape on the carpet. They were blamed because they were supposed to book Courtyard but they thought that was too expensive for a peon engineer.

But, I really liked my liner TA for our Universal trip. She was really on top of getting my hotel to AP rates.

Your ‘side hustle’ TA does have to be able to be flexible with their time so as to respond to those kinds of things. A smaller volume TA (ahem, me) would be able to have time in their life to do that even as they carry on with a full time career. If they aren’t managing that well it might not be the right time for them to be doing it as a ‘side hustle’.

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I am biased, I fall into this category. Also, I have a big mouth and I’m not afraid to use it.

Unpopular opinion: you have sung this song many times before, and I feel like you have unreasonable expectations.

If a discount drops, the people that are already booked are the ones getting my alerts. Occasionally, I will email a recent lead (and I mean within the last week) that a discount for their dates became available. My CRM software (client relationship manager) does not have a tracking category for AP holders, so it would be incredibly time consuming to search all that info out. It would be hours of work for likely little conversion.

I’ll also add that MVT (no I do not work for them) is not a traditional travel agency. They buy blocks of rooms at a group rate and resell them. And even those group rates have been hard to come by since covid. So they literally do sell out of rooms at the advertised rate.

Agents aren’t for everyone - and that’s totally ok!! I honestly think you would be better off on your own as you know what you want and how you want it. And when that happens, it’s rare that someone else will make you as happy as you’d be if you did it yourself.

4 Likes

I think I remember reading a while back, pre-Covid, that MVT seemed to have had some kind of fall-out with Disney and so no longer got as good deals on their block rates. Which is why in turn their advertised deals weren’t as good as they had been when they had preferential status.

1 Like

I know they have had better deals with UOR recently, but did still have the odd dates for Disney pop up as well.

2 Likes

I think Disney has not offered those block discounts over the last few years. There was another company that Disney said they would not allow them to book, but MVT continued to get smaller blocks (sometimes starting with Pop and then adding more choices).

Disney completely stopped allowing MVT to sell the convention tickets with their blocks.

2 Likes

I forgot to also mention that they had some Swan and Dolphin discounts too (was it pre-Covid).

2 Likes

I will make this reply short. As I got my Ap’s via a TA and MVT used to be room only and only did ticketing if asked I find no excuse for dismissing AP holder in looking for discounts. As for part time TA’s I am now finding they are in it for their own discounts and travel. I will keep looking for the old time TA’s who know all their clients and bust their tails to get them the best deals and best vacations. You want the money for booking Disney and the like, then earn it. Enough said on my part. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

yeah no

I can promise you this is NOT the case for this part time agent. I do not have a high enough volume to see ANY discounts of ANY kind, and I have only been on one TA trip and footed the entire bill myself

I started it for the love of planning. And once I identified a target goal I started saving my commissions toward that. After 3-4 years I should have enough to achieve that goal.

You are so misguided it’s not funny

4 Likes

You are right. They no longer get said deals and are just another Travel Agency who no longer buy block deals.

and to follow-up, in case you had any inklings of reaching out to me – please don’t.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is anything that any of us here can say that will help you. You have very strong feelings and I don’t believe this discussion is helping you or anyone else at this point?

4 Likes

You are so much more diplomatic than I. :laughing:

1 Like

Sorry but you may have your reasoning and your right, it is not funny! It can be a real pain when you are trying to be nice to a TA by getting them a commission and then missing a deal and time you were looking for because your agent was doing something else. I can name at least five TA’s from different agencies that have been on many almost pay for trips for the purpose of farmilarization. You ever notice if someone has something negitive to say about some profession and you happen to be in it, you say the person is offensive. Maybe you are a great TA, only you and your clients would know. I, on the other hand had a older relative where TA was her only job. She booked everything for us giving pointers on good travel vacations and places to stay. We did a cruise and there were flowers and candy from her in our suite. Those were the days. Unfortunately she retired. I did my own booking for years until MVT had deals I could not come close to getting. Now they are ecentially no more. I loved my Agent there and I got her name from out here. She only did Disney but now does cruises as well. I have been added to her list for deals but have yet to see any. Now you tell me that AP holders and some of your clients are just not worth your time in checking for deals or giving advice which is what I thought TA’;s were all about. I can book my own reservations no problem but information on when to book and what to book is key. That’s what I need a TA for. They used to do that but many thinks it is too time consuming and they have other things to do. Look I have nothing against getting a good TA so don’t try to make me the bad guy in these posting. I have explained what I have had to deal with lately but will NOT give names. Enough said :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Everything else aside, this is uncalled for.

You asked further up thread if I am a TA

My blood ran cold thinking you might ask for my help

I am glad to see I couldn’t have been more wrong

3 Likes