Trader Sams in the Evening

Hi.

I know Trader Sam’s is usually busy right at opening, but is there a time later in the evening where the crowds have really gone down? I am staying at Poly and thought I’d go down for an adult beverage or two with the wife after the kids and their grandmother get settled for bed. I was hoping to not have to wait in a line to get in after spending all day in one of the parks. Is there a day that is better than others too?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think it is possible but even if there is a wait it can be a great experience. I have checked in and they will say, “ it is an hour wait”. I have always just taken a pager and waited on the patio. I have told the server that I was waiting for a table inside, so I pay right away.

When I have been paged there have never been seats inside. I have always found it to be a rotation. New people stand, when someone leaves you run over and take those seats. The next group is then let in- they stand.

2 Likes

I don’t want to hijack your post, but I’m curious what time you should be there to not have to wait? We were thinking of a stop here for a drink before our Ohana dinner during our Christmas trip and I thought I saw they open at 4pm.

1 Like

From what I understand, people start lining up at 3:30. I can’t even imagine what it would be like during Christmas week though.

2 Likes

I’ve been there twice, both times in the 8:00-9:00 PM range. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn’t have to wait to get in either time. One time I went right to a seat, the other time was just for a quick drink, so I just stood near the bar.

1 Like

During spring break my husband was changing over laundry as we got ready for bed. He hit up trader sam’s without knowing it’s “allure” and grabbed a drink, came back to grab laundry and head to room all within 35 mins? No crowd at all at 8pm that week.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! This is promising!

It’s not near as crazy as it was when the place first opened, but since it’s a small bar it does fill up pretty quickly. I’ll still try to get there as close to “rope drop” as possible (though, I’ve been there when it opened before 4pm and I didn’t know that, so try to check hours ahead of time if you can). If there is a wait, then I’ll do what @PrincipalTinker talks about and get a table outside while I wait to get a spot inside.

If you’re going later in the evening, then I’ve seen the place clear out between 7-8ish, probably as people head to dinner reservations and any group with kids has to leave. Also, if you go really late, then you may walk in without much of a wait (or, often no wait).

1 Like

Can I also semi-hijack this? I’m wondering what the deal is with getting a drink at Trader Sam’s and then sitting out on the patio. Is that also always completely packed? I’d like to go there for a pre-dinner drink in September because it looks so fun! But we’d want to sit out at the Tiki Terrace…

The patio has it’s own bar!

1 Like

Lots of great recon here!

We probably won’t get there until 9ish on a weekday, so I hope we can walk right in.

1 Like

I’ve never had to wait to get into the outdoor Tiki Terrace (though, may once have waited for a table, but that was just before a rather large D23 event was about to take place and everything in the Polynesian was packed, and even then I only waited briefly). There’s a bar and cocktail servers, so just walk up, sit down, and you can order anything from the Trader Sam’s menu. Actually, there was a time when there was an extra drink supposedly available only outside, but I think the Spikey Pineapple (the best boozy Dole Whip I’ve tried) is now available inside, too.

2 Likes

With a double shot…

2 Likes

So kiddos aren’t allowed past 8pm, right? Our 7 year old will be with us and I think she would think all the stuff inside is really cool and keep her entertained enough for dad and I to rest with a drink, but it certainly limits the timing of when we can go.

That is correct - at least for the inside bar; I can’t comment on the Tiki Terrace.

1 Like

This is very helpful – thank you!

(I’m most excited for the souvenir mug…)

1 Like