Touring plan ROTR estimated wait so short?

Hi. I’m having a play around with my touring plans for August.
I enjoy planning what we may be able to fit into each day so I know how many days we need in each park.

Anyway, My Hollywood Studios morning I have got a nice plan going but I have RotR showing at 1pm with a 20 minute wait !! I mean that’s obviously not correct. I have Smugglers run just before this at a 47 minute wait which sounds about right.

Friday 5th August.

Does anyone know of any glitches or reasons why I’m getting this ?

Thanks.

Be aware that these CLs and waits are not definite until about 45 - 30 days out. Right now they are just using historical data for 2019, 2020, 2021. (Sadly, this is an average using all the reported wait times. The waits in 2020 & 2021 were low because the only used BGs. So the reported waits were from people who didn’t count the hours “waiting”. They only reported the time actually inside the queue after their BG was called…)

It’s going to take months before TP gets correct data for RotR and many others that now use Genie+ / Lightning Lane. Disney has implemented multiple different queuing systems over the last couple years. TP is playing catch-up. TP has done a great job with boarding groups, no fastpass and etc… after they’ve gather about 4 - 6 months of data. (Genie+/LL$ has only been active for a little more than 90 days)

Basically, start making your plans, but know that your “real” plan won’t be ready until about 30 days in advance.

I love TP but any CL # that is more than 45 - 30 days out I no longer trust. Wait and see… it’ll fluctuate. TP only updates about 45 - 30 days in advance and copies & pastes the previous year’s historical info into the farther away future dates.

1 Like

Thankyou. I have used TP on a previous trip and will re evaluate closer to our trip.
We have booked a 21 night holiday from the UK. Super long as we are traveling with our adult daughter who has cognitive and mobility disabilities. We can only manage 4/5 hours in a park daily so need to get in, hit what we can with no or minimal backtracking as our daughter hates this.

I mostly use TP as a way to plan our route, and see approximate waits. See what we can achieve in our half day, as I tend to get over ambitious.

I did assume they pulled CL through from previous years but for some reason it didn’t occur to me that the ride data was pulled the same way. Silly really as now you tell me it seems obvious.

Thankyou for the 45 day out tip, I think I’ll put placeholder rides in my TPs in the order I want them (we do minimal walking instead of wait) and just leave it as that until the 45 day update.

Thankyou for your help.

3 Likes

FYI – A common misconception about Touring Plans Crowd Levels is that they are an indicator of the number of people in each park. However, they are an indicator of average queue waits at the rides in that park during 11am – 5pm. (The peak ride times)

A CL 1 can feel like a CL 4 in terms of park capacity, but the queues may be moving quickly. Conversely, you can be in a CL 9 park that feels like a CL 5 because the streets aren’t packed. However, all the queues are super long.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue for our July trip, too.

For now, I am placing a 2-hour break near the time Lines has me riding RotR to simulate the actual wait time (and hope that I will be overestimating!)

1 Like

That’s a fab Idea. I already have is walking the slowest pace possible, hoping that that gives us a small buffer around each ride. Think Ill pop a break on for after Rise aswell as a buffer.
At this point my plans are definitely more placeholders but fantastic for advanced planning.

Instead of a break, use a “meal” at a location in the area like Kat Saka’s Kettle. This is because if you insert a “break” at a step across the park, like ToT or RnR, there is a glitch in the TP software that doesn’t account for the walking time. Which is nbd if the rides are close to each other, but if you have to walk from the other end of the park that could be 15 minutes you have to “make-up” somehow… GL!!

1 Like

In an effort to be rock and roll during my Friday night I did something a little different.
My actual HS day is listed as a CL 4 and too far in the future to make useful plans.

So I picked a CL7 day within the next 40 days and copied my plan to here😬.
I expect this Aug to be a lot busier so bumped it up 3 CL points, I get far more accurate wait times and the added bonus of the TP taking into account early admission.

I think I might do something similar for the rest of my trip.

I do understand that when the time comes for an update, my CL could be higher or lower. The way things have been, I think planning for CL 4,5,6 (the cl of my parks throughout our stat) in August may be a waste of time.

1 Like

I’ve done the exact same many times. If you can, try to “follow along” with your plans on the day the occur. Watch MDE and the Lines App to see if the predictions are close. I spent most of the pandemic doing this as entertainment, I call them my “virtual” plans/trips!