Topolinos vs Chef Mickey vs H&V (lunch) character bfast

I had my sights set in Topolinos, (loved we could take skyliner there) but now wondering if the menu suits my family (it does me but not sure about my 10 year old). I also read portions are small. Curious if you can still order an xtra entree?

Based on our schedule and desired characters, the other two options are Chef Mickeys (so loud, right?) or to swap out my planned 50’s diner F! Package with an H&V lunch F! character meal.

Or…none of the above? Pros and cons?

On another note, for non character a la carte meals curious if my 10 year old can order off the kids menu? Seems a waste for him to order adult meals b/c he’s 10 when he still orders off kids menu at home.

1 Like

I recommend sticking with Topolinos if you can secure the ressie. It is perfect in every way: food, service, characters. And it’s not loud or a buffet too!

Also anyone can order off the kids menu when it’s not prix fixe - my 20 yo DD did it a few times just this past week :blush:. I hate the 10yo rule and think there should be some middle-point. But :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I would stick with Topolino’s. The food is much better than typical character meal food. And I would never describe the portions as small. You can’t order extra entrees anymore but we’ve recently been offered an additional side. It’s plenty of food.

3 Likes

I was worried about this at Topolinos, mainly because I have a 17 year old that can EAT. It ended up being plenty of food! He wasn’t able to eta lunch that day because he was still full.

4 Likes

I’m having the same debate for my trip too! I think my kids would probably like CM but I’m going to do Topolinos. They probably won’t eat much anyway and I might as well go somewhere that I want to eat.

Plus, buffets are too much for me. If it was still family style at CM, I might pick differently.

Although, ask me what I actually did after my trip :rofl: I have many months left to change my mind lol

4 Likes

Where does Tusker House fall in the pantheon, I have 2 Donald fans on an upcoming trip and my worry is with 2 ECVs Topolino’s will be difficult to get to so keeping options open.

I really like Tusker. For me, with a family mix right now that doesn’t call for character dining it’s a tough price point. But the food is great and the environment is somewhere between Topo and Chef Mickey I feel

4 Likes

Thanks all. I’ll stick with Topolino’s! We’ve only done one character breakfast ever (at DLR) and my youngest was 2 at the time (will be 10 for our trip).

FWIW: If I were weighing options of where to go in a vacuum, it would have been Topolino’s vs. Tusker House. However, I have only one AK day in my plan, and my priority is lunch at Sanaa (long on my to do list).

On another note: are leading reservations still an option? Frowned upon? It doesn’t sound like the 8 day cancel policy will interfere, but haven’t heard any chatter.

I will more than likely just use a dining reservation finder, but sadly some of the hardest to get ADRs are at the beginning of my trip with the easier ones later (just the way the schedule is netting out, and it’s really not feasible to switch it out just given xmas party nights and int’l holiday festival beginning, etc).
Day 1 Space Lounge in the evening
Day 2 4pm Hoop de Doo target, does this get booked up?
Day 3: no TS
Day 4 Topolinos Character Bfast, 11.45am target
Day 5: Up Close with Rhinos + Sanaa (around 2.30pm). Sanaa I understand will be easy but Rhinos is hard to get
Day 6 F! 50’s Prime Time
Day 7 Biergarten lunch Candlelight Processional Dining Pkg
Day 8, Skippers lunch + (either Raglan Road or Boathouse dinner via OpenTable)
Day 9: no TS

Any thoughts on Boathouse vs. Raglan Road. I imagine the food will be much better at Boathouse but Raglan Road would give more of an exclamation point to the end of our trip, as it will be our last night.

1 Like

Raglan >> Boathouse imho

You’ve got some nice ADRs to get.

Rhinos is fantastic!!! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

With very few exceptions, dining reservations have been remarkably easy to obtain for even the most in-demand locations over the last 6 months.

I personally frown heavily upon leading reservations and hope, now that reservations have been much easier to get, fewer people are doing them.

5 Likes

Makes sense. Holding a 17 night reservation for months on end does seem a little drastic. Way back in 2015 I think I got everything I wanted thru a reservation finder (tps I think) and we were staying off site. I even got a BOG for the perfect time when that was considered impossible to snag. In the end, if we don’t snag a few we will just save $$.

3 Likes

Oh that’s a tough one. I’ve had fabulous meals at both. So you can’t go wrong with either.

2 Likes

I’ve never been to Boathouse, but the food at Raglan Road is delicious. The show makes it even better.

1 Like

I did Hollywood and Vine quite a few years ago. I thought it was wonderful. Best character interaction ever. Not a lot of people, believe we did the fantasmic package. Chef Mickey is great but overwhelming loud.

2 Likes

We had the best character interaction at H&V too. We did CM at 12 for brunch, it was emptying out so it wasn’t really noisy at all. It was still family style then.

3 Likes

I’m happy you asked this. I have my first Topolino’s reservation this August. I’m very excited.

3 Likes

Interesting. We have been told “no” on several occasions at table service locations (never QS). Skippers Canteen and Sci Fi a few years ago, so we never ask anymore.

Weird.

1 Like

I know! It was right after Maggie aged out and we weren’t in the dining plan!

Maybe try again?

Jules ordered kids meals last week at La Hacienda and ?WCC

And I feel like there’s one more but damn if I can remember where the heck else we ate :thinking:

2 Likes