Tom Sawyer's Island Raft

I haven’t been to Disney in 13 years and planning an October trip. I’m reading a guide book that says that Tom Sawyer’s Island is only accessible by raft. In light of recent events, I’m not really comfortable having my kids on a raft. Is this mode of transportation a raft like boat or an actual raft (I’m envisioning a blow up raft)? Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

It’s a log “raft” with fencing around the sides.
Here’s a pic I found through a google search:

5 Likes

It’s motorized and very sturdy. It’s takes less than 1 minute to go from the “mainland” to the “island”.

As with everything, if you feel uncomfortable, listen to your instincts.

3 Likes

If “recent events” is the tragic Alligator attack at the GF beach, I wouldn’t worry. Much smaller body of water, so the odds of a large Gator going undetected are incredibly low plus the rafts themselves will scare the gators away. And I believe Tom Sawyer Island shuts down at dusk so it’s a far different situation than the GF beach. I wouldn’t worry about the Tom Sawyer rafts at all…

2 Likes

Thanks so much, everyone! Based on your responses, I’m adding Tom Sawyer Island to the plan!!! The raft I was picturing in my head was something like this:

3 Likes

LOL! That’s what I thought you were thinking! “Raft” certainly does bring that to mind.:smile:

:laughing:

The rafts are definitely safe. I asked our raft guide last year if they ever had gators in that water around TSI. He said they had one the previous year which they had promptly removed.