Toll Roads

Oh, the rental companies most certainly are! I paid $20 for my Transponder and it’s good forever but the rental companies are charging people $6 a day to “borrow” a transponder and that’s just ridiculous.

Thank you so much this is very helpful!

Thank you!!

Between MCO & WDW on the primary highways there are manned tolls that provide change. Hold onto quarters though in case you end up on an entrance/exit that does not. I was just there 3 weeks ago. You can easily avoid the Toll Highways while around WDW if you choose. We took the 429 a couple times just for convenience to avoid traffic as it was near where we were staying.

thank you so much

When we last rented a car in MCO, I told the rental company that I had my own transponder. The man looked me in the eye and said it doesn’t work for rental cars. I told him I’ll take my chances.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

That is ringing a bell with me. Is that what’s called the turnpike?

I know when we go to Kennedy we usually take a detour, mainly to avoid going straight through the busy traffic, but there was one time we missed the turning and paid a lot more in tolls. I’m always in charge of spotting the signs and getting the cash ready for each toll.

Article on the TP blog today says the visitor toll pass program has been extended.

It looks very easy to use - and the pass itself is free to borrow, you just have to link a credit card and the tolls are charged as you go.

3 Likes

This is awesome.
I wonder what the rental agencies think. They are likely counting on a lot of people not knowing about it and still paying their ridiculous fees.

2 Likes

It’d be nice if something like that was available for people driving in to Orlando, not just people landing in Orlando. We’re renting, but at home and then driving to Fl. Much cheaper than flying. We normally use the pay as you go lane, but one time there was no stop (only the transponder) and we got dinged a tidy sum for that.

You can purchase a transponder and have it sent to you and use it in your own vehicle or rental vehicle which is what we did. It was really easy to set up online.

2 Likes

You can buy them online or in person, they have th

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/whereToPurchaseSunPass.shtml

We live in Georgia and have a Peachpass for tolls. Luckily, GA. FL & NC have reciprocity, so our Peach pass works for Florida Tolls. I use it more in Florida than GA.

1 Like

I wish I’d have known my Florida one worked with Peach Pass! Would have saved grief and makes me rethink my no driving through Atlanta rule.

Watch out for the “right on red” cameras in Florida. You get a $150 bill if you don’t come to a complete stop before turning right on red. They tracked me down even though I was in a rental.

2 Likes

Ouch! Then again, I’ve noticed around here they could use a few like that. People are getting really lazy and someone is going to get hurt. :frowning:

They had no idea. So much so, they didn’t believe me that there was no extra fee. And basically said, “well we’ll bill you when you drive through and no toll is paid.”

That program was awesome. So easy. And they do one charge at the end of your trip.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I just saw this early today

1 Like

When we rented our car in MCO back in April, I told them that I had my own transponder and he told me dead serious that it won’t work in rental cars. I told him I would risk it. How can they flat out lie to customers??!

You should have said back, “That’s unfortunate. I’ll have to go to a rental car place where my transponder DOES work then!”

:slight_smile:

1 Like