To trip report or not to trip report

I love Ethiopian food!! Enjoy!

1 Like

^ injera - the slightly sour, spongy pancake that is also your eating utensil - you tear off a strip of it amd use it to pinch up your bite of food

^ 1 lamb tibs, 1 beef tibs, 1 short ribs, 1 meat combination for one - the base is more injera

7 Likes

That’s one cuisine I haven’t tried. Just looking at the injera in person made me want to gag. I think I would like the other food though.

1 Like

I can see how someone could be put off by the taste and/or the texture, and it would be a bit off putting to try to eat on its own just to taste it so that’s not a good way to judge either.

It’s definitely something to go into with an open mind.

DS11.1 just isn’t a fan, so he’d used it more like chopsticks (just use it to pick up the food but not actually eat it).

Our kids tend to pick out the meat and avoid the vegetables, so I deliberately picked meat-intensive dishes this time.

4 Likes

Tonight’s “not really a cookie” from Gideon’s was peanut butter. I am enjoying them more now that I’m not expecting an actual cookie. I enjoyed the other flavors more, but I’m kind of meh on peanut butter cookies in general so that’s not surprising. The quality seems to hold up well to being frozen and thawed. I stuck this one on the counter this afternoon.

6 Likes

I’m suuuuper afraid to ask, since you were a huge participant in the “what’s a snack” discussion, but I’m a masochist so whatever let’s go for it: Why do you say this is not a cookie??

2 Likes

It’s basically a chunk of partially cooked cookie dough rolled in toppings.

See how I can press my fingernail into it and it leaves an impression? It’s just short of raw cookie dough.

So it’s yummy, but I kind of expect a cookie to be fully baked?

ETA: maybe It’s similar to there being a discernible difference between a brownie and cake?

6 Likes

It’s a soft slightly undercooked cookie.

Which, by the way, is a perfectly cooked cookie.

Hard cookies? Hard pass.

4 Likes

Brownies and cake are WILDLY different.

But I’m not going down these rabbit holes.

Not tonight.

:joy:

4 Likes

No, I like soft cookies. Especially soft, gooey ones. This isn’t fully cooked. Not in an unsafe way, but in a consistency way.

Ah, i think that’s it. I like the middle gooey and melted, just barely cooked through. Not “I haven’t been cooked”. It really feels like there is raw-ish cookie dough in the middle.

I mean, I’ve been known to eat raw cookie at times. But it’s not a cookie.

6 Likes

It’s like if I took whatever this stuff is, put a bunch of toppings on it, and warned it slightly in the oven but didn’t actually bake it.

To be a cookie, the dough needs to be at least mostly baked for me, not just the very bottom be baked.

And I’m definitely not a fan of hard cookies, so it’s not that. They’re just too raw for me to want to eat more than a couple bites.

7 Likes

I’m so put off by the way you are intended to eat it that I’ve never even tried it before. The actual dish looks pretty good though, but I wonder about the flavors.

Many times actually. I spent many months in Ethiopia doing field work for my geology masters.

10 Likes

I would put the flavors in the realm of curries, but without the heat level. (At least for what we had tonight.). Somewhat different distinct flavors, but in that general realm.

3 Likes

Truly authentic Ethiopian food

20 Likes

Last day in the parks! :sob:

We’re doing a split day at Epcot. DM decided to sit this morning out and then join for the evening. Not sure how much of that is her needing a break vs guilt of us pushing her wheelchair in the heat vs feeling blue because today is my late stepdad’s birthday. :cry:

Saw this plate on the drive:

Only 3 lanes had green lights when we got to the parking tolls at 9:45am for an official 11am open. There were a bunch of red lanes to the left, so DH got in the leftmost green one. Within minutes, 2 more went green, and then 2 more, so we were 2nd in our lane after scooting.

Tolls opened at 9:55am.

13 Likes

Security was open when we hit it at 10am. My purse is still triggering it 2/3 of the time, despite exact same contents.

We still made it to be first party at the taps. A little overkill for FEA, perhaps, but my family struggles to get out the door without RD to shoot for.

Taps opened 10:08am. We’re in the huge cattle herd being held here:

8 Likes

10:30am RD.

This splash pad is now open. It was roped off and not functioning when we were here on Tuesday.

We hit FEA queue at 10:40.

12 Likes

What a cool experience!

1 Like

14 minute wait for FEA.

Browsed the shops…

Detoured to Mexico for the boat ride and a swing through the shops. They weren’t queueing for the pavilion yet and it was about a 5 min wait for the boat. They are still leaving an empty row between parties. There was a queue already for Cava.

Then back to Norway…

Time to start grazing!

The frozen Viking coffee was excellent, and the coffee-chocolate crunch as really yummy.

11 Likes