To trip report or not to trip report

DC1 and DC2 had arrived separate from us at the event and been doing…MIB and Simpsons, I think?

They had planned to take the Hogwarts Express over to meet us for dinner at 8pm but what with the rain chaos, we were done eating before they arrived. DM decided to sit and wait for them while the rest of us scampered off to JP River Adventure. So fun to do in the dark! We were glad we were dressed to get wet and had changed into flip flops, leaving our tennies with DM.

(Note: As expected/hoped, everything was pretty much a 0-10 minute wait after 7pm, except Hagrids.)

DC1 and DC2 were just finishing eating when we got back. Switched back to tennies, and headed for Hogsmeade.

The line for the butter beer cart between Hogsmeade and JP was fairly quick throughout the evening whenever get we passed. DS16 and I grabbed 4 glasses to share while the rest caught the end of the frog choir, and then we headed to Forbidden Journey.

Next was Ollivander’s. We were with 3 people not in our party, one of whom was full-scale robed out and delighted to be picked for the wand ceremony (so it was hard to be disappointed none of us were-he was obviously WAY more into it).

But Ollivander sprinkled us with pixie dust (is that allowed at UOR?). He pulled the twins aside, asked their names, “Oh, I was wondering when you’d get here!”, and went through a slightly different version of the wand ceremony for both of them! He even did this sweet thing that their wands have heart strings from the same dragon so they should always be loyal to each other. :heart:

DS11.1:

DS11.2:

26 Likes

I’m so glad you had a wonderful time!

4 Likes

That’s fantastic! How cool for them.

5 Likes

:sob::sob::sob: That is so cool!

10 Likes

The twins had a great time on Forbidden Journey. We had promised we’d let people starting opting out in intensity of rides when they stopped having fun, so we pressed everyone to all go on Hagrid’s in spite of the indoor queue.

But yeah, Covid is barely on the radar at UOR. Maybe 10% are masking.

When you enter from the parking garage, there is this nonstop recorded message from a woman with a (very vaguely British?) accent reminding everyone that masks are not required if you’re fully vaccinated. If not vaccinated, they should be worn inside. Also, maintain physical distancing from other parties and wash your hands.

It just comes across to me as very “dystopian sci-fi future” to me instead of actually instructive or helpful.

The 7 vaccinated in our party of 9 built a distancing “bubble” around the twins as much possible. There were 2 sections of switchback that we couldn’t do much more than center them dead center from either side, but I felt mostly ok with the rest of it. We were able to skip a large chunk of switchbacks at the very end thanks to DM’s “chariot” so that was a bit of a relief. But basically it meant I was watchful the whole queue. Instead of catching up on posting to y’all. And this is all about y’all, right? :joy:

Lots on tape on the ground still that most everyone ignores (just like Disney). No efforts to social distance between parties despite random ongoing reminders throughout the park from the dystopian future lady. Why do people insist on aggressively edging forward in a fully inside queue during a global pandemic? I mean, it’s one thing to keep getting bumped by the couple behind you, but at one point I got bumped by someone from the party behind them?

If I felt any more definite about the twins being higher risk, I would be bailing on it, I think. But I have to give them credit that they aren’t complaining about masking, even though few other kids are. And they know what “get back in your bubble” means. :laughing:

Ok, enough lamenting on that!

11 Likes

Everyone absolutely loved Hagrids. So clever and well worth the wait!

By the time we got off, it was about 11:15pm.

We jumped on Hippogriff real quick (shortest ride ever?) and then we caught the Hogwarts Express back to Kings Cross and jumped in line for Gringotts. The queue looked so interesting, we may try to linger some there tonight.

That ride was lots of fun too!

By this time, it was after midnight. All the restaurants had closed at 11:30pm but food carts and such were still open.

We swung in and grabbed another round of butter beer. Then hit a couple food carts near MIB for churros, pretzels, chips, popcorn, and corn dogs.

And…it started to pour again. We were able to grab a couple of benches and wait until it mostly kept up. Then it was back to the car, full and exhausted and happy.

14 Likes

We got in around 1:30am, so it was good to sleep in until around 9am. Then rousted everyone up to go to brunch…

So yummy! Then it was back to the room for a nap before heading back to Universal!

16 Likes

:yum: you are killing it either your food organization.

5 Likes

Love Homecomin’!!!:heart:

3 Likes

Wow, I wish I had a crew to share food with to try it all!! It all looks soooo good, I guess DH and I will have to make many trips to try them all. :wink:

4 Likes

Finally, someone recognizes it! :grin: So glad you enjoyed your time at Universal and that brunch looks heavenly!

8 Likes

When I come to stay 6-8 weeks in FL, let’s eat together!

2 Likes

Yessss!!!

2 Likes

I really have no plans to visit Disney Springs on my upcoming trip, but I keep seeing those deviled eggs and I need them in my life! Maybe on our rest day.

4 Likes

Worth the trip.

4 Likes

Only DH is really a fan of deviled eggs, so he ate 5 of the 6 and said that was a little much. :joy:

He said they were really good and expanded his concept of what all could be done with them, but the filling-to-white ratio was kind of extreme. And really, that the perfect deviled egg is probably what some relative always made for your family on holidays.

7 Likes

A better picture of the wands and specs added if anyone is interested…

4 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

Rousted everyone up and headed out about 30 min earlier than the day before. Despite another rain delay, we came pretty close to hitting our planned items for the evening.

Checkin was running much smoother (took about 15-20 min less than yesterday, I think). We parked slightly after 3pm and were inside USF by 3:30pm! (Note: We were told we would be allowed to enter the park at 4pm. YMMV.)

We were assigned to checkin at USF both days. The first day, I made the mistake of assuming this would put us inside USF to start. The USF checkin was actually set up in the cut-across between USF and IOA, so depending which way you left checkin determined which park you ended up in. (We were not allowed to cross back through using the cut-across until 1 hour after park close.)

This time I paid attention and correctly picked USF so we were able to make the 3:45pm Animal Actors show. (I really wanted to do this one since we were avoiding Bourne and Horror Makeup as they are both inside.)

9 Likes

We then exited USF via the front and re-entered IOA and headed for Seuss Landing.

Cat-in-the-Hat had a 5-10 minute wait so we decided to go despite the inside queue. Of course, there was a ride issue that added another 10 min or so. :roll_eyes:

It was my first chance to observe a quantity of families with other young kids inside. Remember, according to dystopian future lady, anyone unvaccinated should mask inside. Out of about 15 families with children younger than the DS11 twins (this unvaccinated), only one besides ours had their kids masked. But the queue had few switchbacks, so we just built our distance bubble for the twins again.

Seuss Trolley had a longer wait, so we skipped that for now and headed towards Camp Jurassic. I gave DH (and anyone else) the option of getting in line for Velocicoaster instead, but the wait was 110 minutes, so he said he’d just skip it.

We figured the kids were old enough to run amok in Camp Jurassic.

However, their judgment is still a little short cited. I’d been working really hard to keep their tennies and socks dry by switching them to flip flops for potentially wet rides (or in case of downpours). Well, they found the splash pad (I hadn’t thought to caution them) and since we’d dressed everyone to get wet (they were in swimsuits) they got drenched with no regard for their footwear. I literally wring water out of one sock. Sigh. They would get stuck with their super-cheap, not-intended-for-long-wear flip flops for now. And wet masks since we packed lighter than we had for Disney.

Next we headed back to Toon Amphitheater for the daily ration of Bonus Bites. Sadly, they had full sized hamburgers instead of the better sliders that DH had really enjoyed the day before, but they were fine.

They attempted to improve the queueing system without success. The day before they had people go pizza-burger-chicken-cookie and queue up
at the pizza end. This time they reversed it but made people queue up further away. :roll_eyes: Most people were NOT taking all 3 entrees, so this just bogged things down at the front end either way. And wiped out whichever food was on the first station.

They really needed to release people to go to their top choice of any of the 4 food stations, and tell them they could then go to another one when they finished the first one (all 4 had room for their own lines and were using fresh plates). It did pass the time for DM and I to observe all this from the stands and discuss improvements.

After eating, we headed towards the wet rides, but there was another weather delay. A lot less rain than the day before but still some distant lightning.

Again, with trying to avoid long inside queues, not much we could do, so the rest of us switched into our flip flops and left our stuff with DM so we were ready to jump on Ripsaw Falls and Bilge-Rat Barges as soon as they re-opened. Practically walked on to both.

So.
Will you get wet riding Ripsaw Falls? Yes.
Will you get wet riding Bilge-Rat Barges? Also yes. Actually, very yes. “I drove my convertible through the car wash with the top down” wet.

But, we had dressed to get wet, so it was a hugely fun time. Everyone was laughing at whoever got drenched next.

However. Despite what dystopian future lady said, there was no attempt by Universal to help us keep distance between parties. And since we were outside, I didn’t push the issue because it’s hard to figure out what’s happening during the loading of a walk-on. Ripsaw Falls seats 5 per log. They split our 6 evenly between two logs along with 2 strangers each. We put a twin in the front of each log, so ok but not preferred. Especially since we took their masks off to try to keep them from getting even wetter.

That was pretty consistent for most rides, inside and out. We just placed them as far from strangers as we could.

Even though we were wearing quick-dry, the rain had cooled things down quite a bit, so we rotated everyone through a couple runs of one of the people driers to warm up a little and at least not be dripping wet. And try to dry out the twins’ socks, shoes, and masks a bit. They were still damp, but wearable, so we switched everyone out of their flip flops.

11 Likes