To park hop or to not park hop?

I just started that conversation in the chat! I did not have them last time, thinking about it for the next trip:
MK has parties (or close early) four out of the 6nights we are there, making it harder to see the fireworks.
We are at BC, making it easy to go to Epcot to get food.
We got Dining with an Imagineer in HBD on a Epcot day, so we would need to hop (or make it a HS which might not work).

But we were perfectly happy without PH last time!

Our main reason for the park hoppers is dining at Epcot. We generally want to eat there 3 or more times but only have 1-2 days scheduled at the park. Without park hoppers, weā€™d have to give up some of the World Showcase restaurants that we really enjoy.

This trip we are also probably going to park hop from MK to Epcot on a MNSSHP day to take advantage of the lower crowds at MK (and of course eat at Epcot :wink: ).

1 Like

We almost always do PH. Even this time with 9 days we are doing it to take advantage of low MK crowds on party days and then head to other parks for night time shows/rides. Plus, when there are extra hours at night DD13 and DH can go get their thrill ride fix while the little ones and I do something else. They have always been worth every penny to us.

If youā€™re going during party season, Hoppers are a huge benefit. You can start the party days at MK when itā€™s not crowded and hop somewhere else. Then you can come back in the evening on a non-party day for HEA. Without hoppers, the alternative is to fight through a super busy day all day or miss HEA and an evening entirely.

the extra money can add up fast!
I have done it both ways and while I enjoyed park hopping when it was just me & my bf, when we take a trip including his 2 DDs I wonā€™t pay for them.
A few people have mentioned eating at EP - and if you are planning on doing several table service meals that would be something to take into consideration.
The main reason I got it last time, we used EMH and stayed at the park until after lunch, then we took a break and went to a different park later that had a lower crowd level. It was more of a ā€˜treatā€™ for us but not worth the price for more than the two of us - and not sure we would do it again even with just the two of us

Thanks for the input. We are going next February, so no parties going on. Another thing I was looking at is that if we wanted to go to a water park one day then the tickets to the water park alone are nearly as much as the Park Hopper Plus add on, well about $100 less. We are doing the quick service dining plan probably this trip. Previous trips with the DDP it seemed like we lost time because we had to be at reservations. We will just make ADRā€™s at a few places that we really want to eat at. So I guess we could probably make due without the Park Hoppersā€¦if we donā€™t go to a water park of course. My travel agent was telling me that she loves park hoppers and they always go to one park in the morning and a different park after an afternoon rest. But she has Annual Passes so hers are built in. We more than likely will be taking a rest break in the middle of the days for my wife and 5 year old, Iā€™m not a big napper. Just a tough decision.

It really depends upon family and their goals. PH+ has always is better for us even though we have longer stays becauseā€¦

Weather can cause delayed or cancelled shows and parades that we may want to see.
Multiple use of water park cover additional cost leaving PH option as a bonus
Early closing and parties reduce park hours.
Hopping can help avoid crowds (ie party days)
Our kids would rather go to HS two half days over one full day

Yeah I was thinking if I could spread out some HS days then I might be able to get Fast Passes for all three rides in Toy Story land. I just donā€™t know. Maybe I will contemplate dropping the Quick Service dining plan and keeping the PH+.

If you buy your tickets and hotel rooms through MVT (Magical Vacation Travel), you get a free day of waterparks. Maybe itā€™s worth checking with them? We got 6-day base tickets + Fun (waterpark or other) for much cheaper than anywhere else! But you do need to get a package with a hotel room (I think).

Yeah I have a request in with Darcy at MVT for a quote. I will probably book on the 19th or 20th and may cancel if MVT has a great deal.

1 Like

This thread has made me reevaluate our decision to buy the park hoppers. We had them on our first two trips and booked them again for this upcoming November, but after actually stopping to think about the cost versus the value for us, I have canceled them.

For 6 of us for 7 days in the park the hoppers cost more than $400. As of right now, our tentative plans donā€™t have us hopping even one time (although we will actually be in 2 parks one day due to MVMCP), but even if we decided to hop once or twice I canā€™t justify it being worth $400.

We have splurged on the HEA Dessert party and Early Morning Magic for this trip and canceling the hoppers actually covers the cost of one of those events almost exactly. That made it an easy decision. And I suppose if we get there and something goes terribly awry and we ā€œneedā€ them, we can pay to add them on there.