To Go-vid or not to Go-vid?

Thanks for your perspective as a nurse. That is great advice, but I think they’ve already done that?

Somehow I missed the flesh-out post :confused:
Back to lurking in shadows for me!

We went last October with our DD (8). It was a great trip. Granted masks were mandatory then (indoor and out) but we felt safe. We’re going back in November and will likely mask indoors with her. Hubby and I are both fully vaccinated as well but feel that masking alongside our daughter seems the right thing to do. I was somewhat anxious in October but so much is outside anyway we really never thought much about it once we were there. We too are covid cautious - not worried about death so much as long term implications from the disease.

4 Likes

Hey, so you missed a sentence. No reason to go back to lurking! You’re here now, join the party.

And thanks for your perspective. I’m reading all of these trying to reassure myself we’re not being stupid. And while my particular case is different than OP’s, I’m really appreciating that everyone brings a different background and perspective, and that they are assembled here because OP took the initiative to ask. Thanks, @colingigl_688313! Over 100 posts now - just shows how relevant this topic truly is.

7 Likes

Here, here!

4 Likes

When/if you call to cancel… heck, all of us need to call and TELL Disney to step up and do the right thing w/ masking. If enough call and write they will listen. DL-AP holders organized and got info from Disney. Where is a our Macron?!?

4 Likes

Maybe they should also not sell hamburgers, anything fried, anything with a dye in it, no candy or sodas, only let Starbucks sell black coffee, etc. That would be the right thing if they were concerned about people. Right?

Many, MANY more people died and suffered health complications last year from heart disease than from Covid. Yet nobody is all up in arms about making restaurants stop selling their artery-clogging, cholesterol-raising not-good-for-you-at-all food. Nobody is up in arms against the federal government for approving and subsidizing companies that make highly processed food with no nutritional value. If you don’t like Disney’s rules then don’t go. If you’re actually concerned about your (this is not directed at YOU, @vcka, just a general “you”) health then maybe the thing to do is to stop eating fast food, stop overeating, stop drinking gallons of soda, start moving your body and exercising self-control when it comes to diet and exercise. We dropped my husband’s cholesterol 40 points in 3 months. The only thing he changed was to stop eating ice cream and only eat 1 or 2 pieces of pizza instead of 3 when we have it a couple of times a month. Diet and exercise matter. If someone is overweight and concerned about Covid, losing some weight will affect their health much more than a vaccine or a mask. I’m tired of the hypocrisy when it comes to Covid. Live and let live.

I’m sorry @colingigl_688313 that your post has turned into another mask vs. no mask post. I’m muting this thread and will not reply to any messages in it.

2 Likes

I honestly believe that much of this discussion should have taken place on the COVID thread. Isn’t that the intent of that thread- to share experiences, research, and data?

We have spent the last 16 months talking about personal choices that impact: ourselves vs impacting others vs personal freedoms - and many of us will never be able to “see” it from another side.

If you want to start this debate again can we at least keep it on one thread?

3 Likes

Oh, please. YOU eating processed food is not going to possibly infect my grandchildren, who don’t have the option of being vaccinated. I won’t say that other people’s health choices re: unhealthy food don’t affect me, because they do, in the fact that we all bear each others choices in the increased cost of health care, but it’s not going to make my grandchildren sick. Yes, I have the option not to go. But that doesn’t mean we can’t make sure Disney knows exactly why, and pressure Disney to reinstate an indoor mask mandate until children can be vaccinated, which will likely be what makes the difference between us going/not going.

10 Likes

Can people please only reply on this thread with advice for the OP? As @PrincipalTinker said we have a covid thread and general debate can be posted there.

7 Likes

I apologize for causing the thread to devolve :worried: My main point that I wanted to make is that Disney does listen, when I’ve called and asked CMs to relay my messages they listen and pass my concerns along. Maybe it’s lip service but I know many are making tough heart wrenching decisions right now (ok maybe that was over the top). I do want to urge anyone cancelling to explain to Disney why you are cancelling, they need to know; they have bean counters tallying up what’s what w/ their customer base.

4 Likes

I stay off the covid thread because I find it too upsetting/stressful. Until recently I did find this thread to be a different animal where people were just sharing their personal decision-making strategies and not making it broader.

Anyway I just want OP to know I did find it a useful separate question (I’m not debating going to Disney rn but am debating other things and did find a lot of the POVs shared helpful for that).

2 Likes

The Covid thread (original) started with the question: Is it Safe to Travel?

That thread (and part two) can go in any direction. Discussions about travel, school issues across the country, science, data, shortages, and of course masks and lockdown have all been discussed over the last 16 months.

We have agreed to allow that thread to go to the end and hopefully Pod (the original question/topic) will have the final post.

Anyone can jump to the bottom of the Covid thread and ask a question Covid related such as “Has anyone seen a recent article on….”, “I think I need a new mask, what would you suggest…? “I am getting nervous about the recent rise in numbers because I was planning….”

I know there have been posters on this thread that have not posted on the main Covid thread and they added valuable feedback here. I know many of us have appreciated that

I jumped in here when it seemed like this thread was beginning to once again become a very old and exhausting argument.

7 Likes

Getting really discouraged about the chances of us going in October. Florida’s numbers keep getting worse, plus (unlike earlier this year) there’s no sign of Disney putting in place stricter protocols . . . . :frowning: :frowning:

3 Likes

Well, I did it. I cancelled for mid August. There were tears from both kids, and we talked it all out, but they understand why we did it and that their safety is top priority.

A week ago, maybe two days ago, and I didn’t see this coming. But here we are. I had a DVC rental so I’m out a bit. But the cost didn’t sway me really.

Here’s hoping we will be back after DS10 can be vaccinated - but in reality, I don’t think we will be able to do it until next year, schedule-wise.

I wish the best to those of you who have tough decisions to make.

19 Likes

:cry: I’m so sorry. Very tough calls.

3 Likes

Maybe post here for someone interested in taking over your reservation to save some $?

2 Likes

So sorry. :frowning: It’s such a tough call.

1 Like

I’m sorry. That stinks, but you’re doing what you believe is the best for you guys. Hopefully you can find something fun to do in the area to you .

1 Like

I’m so sorry.

1 Like