To DAS or not to DAS

I have a question for those who have used it.

For selections you make in the park, can you repeat rides? I know you can book a ride that you also pre-selected. But can you rebook Tomorrowland Speedway or Dumbo once you’ve ridden it?

Thanks.

1 Like

You can repeat anything except rides that have boarding groups, so right now Guardians.

3 Likes

I didn’t see this until now. I’m sorry I didn’t help with your question. I hope you had a great trip!

I wrote a long post about our strategies a few years ago and I’m curious to see what this year will be like. Two boys, both with autism, sensory issues, one with significant ADHD. We’ve never gotten DAS (although I’m nervous maybe we should have for this trip). We’ve used all the tools we’ve gotten from OT and SLP over the years to help our kids find their way.
As with everything in life, we’ve approached Disney as a fantastic way for us and them to develop skills in navigating a neurotypical world. The night before we discuss the “plan of attack” for the next day so everybody knows what to expect. We arrive well before rope drop with a standard script, get in line, pee, stretch legs, look around. From Rope Drop we follow our touring plan, with walking speed set to “Very Relaxed” and map in hand so everybody knows where we’re going next. If someone isn’t “feeling” a ride, we all take a pass on it. We are done for the day by noon and head back to the hotel to rest, read, swim (and play chess lol). If anybody is feeling keen to return, we do a relaxed evening visit.
Now that my kids are 11 and 13 they are aware of their diagnoses but also eager to find their way in the world, I’m curious how this coming trip will go. We’re probably too late for it but I may ask them if they’d like to read about DAS to decide if they think it would be another tool they could use. My 11 year old would be paralyzingly anxious at the idea of his tap turning blue instead of green and flagging him to interact with a CM, possibly my 13 year old also. What’s turnaround time like? Thoughts?

2 Likes

You can always get DAS at Guest Services at the parks, so you can wait and see if needed. Always an option even in the middle of your trip.

The pre approved DAS you get by doing it online 30 days before or less. With that you get to pick 2 attractions for each day to have DAS. Selections are (from what I’ve heard) sometimes limited depending on how far ahead you are doing the interview.

If you do the pre approval then you get those 2 picks PLUS you can get a DAS regular return as soon as you get to a park.

2 Likes

You could have your 13 year old scan first if that would work better. If you have your app open to show the ride that is reserved, that will alleviate any time consuming issues.

1 Like

You really don’t have to interact much. All they do is look at the picture on their screen to make sure it’s the right person. They’ll approve it, it’ll turn green and then everyone else can scan. Most important thing is to have the person with the DAS scan first. If there are multiple taps, I try to scan nearest a CM.

There can still be an opportunity to work on skills because sometimes the lines are still longish. Depending on the line, that can still cause issues for us.

2 Likes

Curious about thoughts on using DAS for mobility issues without a wheelchair. My mom is joining us for two days of our trip. She is having a knee replacement right after we get back (hoped to do it earlier but other issues came up and then we didn’t have time for her to recover before the trip). She has tremendous pain and is limping. I suggested she get a scooter because I know she can not walk all day but she is concerned about doing that due to difficulty getting up/down - especially if she has been sitting long periods of time. My main goal is to allow my kids to ride what they are hoping to accomplish while minimizing walking and pain for my mom. I don’t want to abuse the system and I just struggle with if this is what DAS was intended for. Has anyone used DAS for similar circumstances?

I can’t tell you about WDW but I can say that we had a very similar issue with my wife’s aunt at Disneyland, and they were very clear with us that she did NOT qualify for DAS and they recommended we get a wheelchair or ECV and use the Mobility Access program.

I believe WDW is a little more lenient in their policy, but not sure if this would qualify.

2 Likes

I agree with Jeff. They will tell her to use a wheelchair or scooter.

2 Likes

I just did my virtual interview a couple days ago and got approved for DAS, due to my neuromuscular disease that’s a form of ALS. Good experience. Only had to wait maybe 20 minutes for the interview. Then it took quite a long time, maybe an hour or two, to go through all the pre-DAS ride reservations for a 7 day park visit, via textual chat and filling out the brief online forms for each day. Overall, good stuff. Thanks for those who have contributed here.

5 Likes

If you’re staying on property, do you hold the virtual meeting 30 days prior to your check-in date or 30 days prior to your final park day? The wording on Disney’s website made it sound like all of your trip days have to be within the 30 day window for advanced selections. But I’ve read other info that made it sound like it’s 30 days prior to check-in.

1 Like

I just talked about this. This is DL but is probably the same for WDW.

2 Likes

Thanks very much! I had tried Disney chat earlier today and she said 30 days prior to check-in…but she also said we could register any time and the 30 days was just for the advanced selections. I haven’t seen anything indicating that’s the case in any of the articles I read.

Thanks again! I appreciate your help!

1 Like