To control souvenir collecting or not?

We are incorporating pins for the first time on this next trip. Kids each get to pick a special one - my sister (their mom) and I figure if they don’t or no one else wants them when they are older, they will not be hard to sell online (not for a profit necessarily but just to get rid of)

2 Likes

I love our travel ornaments! It’s really the only souvenirs we buy most of the time. They are my favorite because there is always room on the tree and I don’t need to figure out where they go the rest of the year.

I have branched to the occasional mug (NPS has a series we’re collecting), t-shirt, hoodie, or magnet. I may also collect a piece of art on occasion, but not lately.

1 Like

I collect shot glasses from around the world, but unique or culturally authentic. So my Disney shot glasses are usually very unique in appearance or have a special meaning. I get a couple each trip, and a cool coffee mug or glass and 1 magnet. I get a set of ears (although I lost most to a hurricane so Im back down to 3). I like to wear a different pair each trip day. I like t-shirts but rarely wear them. Will probably have them made into a quilt when I have enough.
Other than that I go crazy with the souvenir pennies and quarters. If I see a machine, I get one I dont have already.

2 Likes

Surely, you mean toothpick holders! :wink:

I’ll never forget the time I was looking for a shot glass for a coworker at DTD in California. The CM’s quickly pointed me in the direction of the toothpick holders! :joy:

5 Likes

This makes me sad

I don’t buy a lot of souvenirs for myself because I am a pack rat and I already have enough crap. (Actually, I save stuff like maps and ticket stubs, so I don’t need merch on top of that.) A lightsaber from Savi’s or a puzzle to do with my wife is the rare exception.

For my kids, we limit them to one souvenir each per trip. Which is probably too much, but at least we have a limit. My son is a hoarder. I have to work with him to throw away his junk. He has mounds of papers that are “special” to him that he won’t throw away. Every day / week / month these stashes multiply and fill all available space. Sigh.

7 Likes

My favorite souvenir is always buying Memory Maker for our trip and then making a photo book when we get home using the photos.

Oh, I also like getting ornaments. Here are a few:

7 Likes

Haha! Ironically, I have 4 decorative tooth pick holders but they are from grandparents.

2 Likes

I understand the meanings of these four words individually but not this configuration of them.

8 Likes

I run into the constant inner argument of “what are you going to DO with it?” when it comes to…just about anything, but especially trip merch. (though more than Merch, i really run into this with Electronics.)

I would love to just get anything I want but unless I have a practical use for it, I’m afraid it ends up being left in the store.

Like @Jeff_AZ I’m already an experienced packrat, so I really don’t need to be feeding into it anyway.

4 Likes

We have the same 2019 one on our tree! And I’d love a 50th. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I have the pin that matches that first one! (Mine is DLR not WDW, though.)

7 Likes