Tips for first timer at WDW and Solo trip

Had a big trip planned with the Family back in December and it all fell apart. I really want to go and I don’t think I can get the family on board, so I am considering a solo trip instead. What are tips for a first timer going on their own?

3 Likes

Do what you want, when you want.

Some bars and Lounges have the full menu, of their neighboring restaurant. No adr required.

Talk to CMs, and other guests.

Slow down and absorb the details. Read the windows on main street, look for hidden Mickeys, and visit the little museums in World Showcase.

5 Likes

I know a lot of folks on here have done solo tours…hopefully some of them will chime in. One recent trip report from @lizzieanne771 really knocks solo touring out of the park. Check it out here:

3 Likes

Aww, thanks!

I pretty much always go solo and love it. I can do what I want to do, skip what I want to skip…and pee on my schedule. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would love to do a solo trip one day. The idea of getting to do everything that I would like to do the entire trip sounds sublime!

2 Likes

We should help each other! I have a “first” Disneyland solo trip this summer! :grin:

2 Likes

Last solo trip I took was during the September hurricane. My wife was supposed to join me a couple of days in from a business trip she was on but was not able to make it. What was supposed to be just an extended weekend with my wife ended up as a 9 day solo trip. As everyone has said you are on your own schedule. When you are alone you will find yourself striking up conversations with many different people that you ordinarily wouldn’t. From cast member to other guests. On more than one occasion i met some one on a bus or in a queue and ended up going on several rides together. I was temporarily adopted by a family of four and went on Toy Story R&R and ToT with them. Had a blast. Another group of people invited me to join them for lunch. I say go for it, enjoy it.

3 Likes

This was my experience. It wasn’t truly solo, because I met up with some college friends, and lots of people from here, but it was my first trip anywhere without my family since my first child was born. It was harder than I expected, because I’m an anxious person, but it was also wonderful. I definitely say “go for it!”

1 Like

I recognized you from the DLR forum! I would be happy to exchange info and help each other out! DLR is my home resort. I was going to try a solo trip there first, since it is an easy drive for me and I am currently a AP holder, then next year do the solo trip to WDW.

1 Like

I went to Europe solo, but was a part of a tour group and that was my experience there. I would get “adopted” along the way by various groups. It was really nice. Glad to hear that is a possibility in WDW as well!

1 Like

I talked to my family and they were all on board for me to do my solo trip (especially DH, who hates to travel). So let’s get planning! I am thinking fall of 2019. I would like to go during the food & wine festival and the Halloween party. Any particular hotels better than others for solo travel? My sister said she would like to join me, but I know that is iffy, so I will plan it as though it is just me and if she shows, then great.

2 Likes

Woohoo!! I have stayed in Moderates and Values as a solo and never had an issue with either. Everyone has their own preferences for the resorts. I am fine using the buses and don’t really feel the need to stay at one of the Deluxes that are walking distance or a monorail ride to the parks - but many people would never think of staying anywhere else. For Food and Wine (and this would be the only time I would truly consider one of these), you might consider the Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk since they are within walking distance to the International Gateway entrance to Epcot, which would put you in the midst of the Festival. The one thing that would maybe be easier for you is the Deluxes are much closer to the Disneyland prices than the Moderates or Values which are significantly cheaper. (I’m in a Good Neighbor hotel for my July DL trip because I, being used to Values and Moderates, about choked on my water when I saw the prices for the on-property DL hotels - even Paradise Pier, which is supposedly “Moderate” is more than the WDW Moderates.

1 Like

I would definitely consider BC, YC or BW during Food & Wind if staying deluxe is in the budget.

If you’re looking at moderates, I like Port Orleans French Quarter for a solo trip. It’s small and the grounds are well lit. Request a top floor room in a building near the lobby. It will be very quiet, but you won’t feel isolated or unsafe walking around. The larger moderate resorts can have long walks with lots of dark/winding paths, which can feel unsafe when you’re alone. I’m sure they are all perfectly safe! I’m just talking about how they feel.

1 Like

Solo trips to Disney are, arguably, the absolutely best way to visit Disney World. You’re going to have a wonderful time.

For tips?

• Definitely setup things to do that you would second guess doing if someone was with you. Things like tours, certain shops, and rides. Example, if you avoid Splash Mountain because DH has backpain from it, now’s the time to really enjoy things.
  • Move at your own pace. Everyone says this and everyone is right and no matter how many times you read it in reviews, it NEVER really “connects” until you’re there. Speed is your ally, and your speed is at your full control so take full advantage of it. If you want to spend an hour studying the mosiac in the castle, absolutely do it. If you wanna see how fast you can speed walk from Haunted Mansion to Main Street and back? Do it.
  • Start a walking regime as soon as you are able. This goes into that “speed is your ally” philosophy. While you can certainly take it easy, being able to hustle is a great benefit. Additionally, the more you can beat fatique from setting in, the longer you can stay out and have fun. Treat and train for this like a marathon…a marathon of “awesome.”
  • Absolutely do not restrict yourself for eating situations. No one care if you are dining alone, so eat everywhere you want. Character meals, fine dining, quick service, it’s all up for grabs.
  • Partake in tours, parties, and any other “premium” that you can fit in and afford. When you go with a group, the cost of that stuff adds up with a quickness, but going alone? You’re just responsible for your 1 ticket so it all becomes far more affordable.
  • Roll with punches. Even though you’re traveling alone, and you won’t have anyone mucking up your plans… things can still go wrong. Your magic bands won’t work, you might be on a ride that breaks down, you reservation ends up missing from the restaraunt… roll with it and plan contingencies. It’s all part of the adventure. Accept it, look at the bright side (you’re in Disney World!) and adjust as needed.

As far as hotels go? For solo travel…depending on your budget will give you the best option(obviously). I would start widdling away the choices with how “themed” you want to go get and which “theme?”

I would also recommend, since this is your first time at WDW, at least a night in the Contemporary, a Theme Park room to be precise. Going to sleep and waking up seeing Cinderella’s castle is not something to miss if you can swing it.

No matter where you stay though, you’re going to have an amazing time.

5 Likes

You’ve made me double-excited about my own trip now!

3 Likes

I personally have no problem staying in value and moderate accommodations, however DH is a very reluctant traveler will not go To DL unless we are staying on property. When I go to DL solo, I will be staying at candy cane inn (always wanted to try it out, but cannot b/c of DH). I think it is a plot to reduce how often we go!

1 Like

Thank you! I am actually more excited about this trip than I was about the trip I was supposed to take with my family in December! A lot less stress. No one to please but myself…

1 Like

Ok, cool! Just putting it out there. It is more sticker shock I think going WDW to DL for on property.

I was at Sports for my WDW trip. I’ll be at Best Western Park Place for DL.

1 Like

I would agree with the sticker shock, although I have been very lucky and shopped all the deals and at most paid 365 for GC in nov 2015. I have noticed that the deals have been harder to come by this year though. We are going this summer as well and will most likely have to pay through the nose to stay at PP. The good thing is that we have stayed at all three DLR hotels and suprisingly, PP is my boys’ favorite.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I was trying to figure out how to swing PP, but ultimately I decided on using that money for some nice birthday celebration meals. :slight_smile: (Still figuring out which ones. I have 73 days until my ADR date opens up - though I’ve been assured it’s nowhere near as “competitive” as WDW ADR day.)

2 Likes