Tipping in a Theme Park

Well, we’re certainly not going to fix the dining industry’s messed up policies in this thread.

I just feel, with the known stinginess of the average diner, that it’s unfair that the servers, who are putting in the majority of the work, are forced to take even more of a hit by sharing the tips. I get it’s a team effort and all that, but with the amount of work the servers put in vs everyone else, just seems off. But then when everyone’s paycheck is reliant on tips, it certainly helps the team as a whole.

I wasn’t even aware this was a policy, though, so thank you for shining a light on it. I guess I’ll just tip a bit more when I can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. When I was in the industry and the place I worked specifically, people left cash on the table most times. Right before I was truly tired of it, I had to watch my tables constantly and get to them before the bussers got to them. They would use napkins on the table to pick up our tips and throw them in with the dishes they were picking up (stealing). I do remember one of the really good servers getting fired for getting caught stealing tips off others tables. I know if people are going to steal, they are going to, but maybe that part of the reason for tipping out these other people so they do a good job and don’t take other’s tips in the process.

In contrast to our culture here – my last vacation was to Iceland. Very rarely do you tip anyone in that country unless for example a tour guide who has done a really good job. Restaurants are responsible for paying their employees properly and tipping is not customary. However, there are trade offs for that - your $50 American meal now costs up to double that and usually less portions for near $100. The service is NOT like here at all – it’s not bad, just different, where they take your entire order at once and usually never come back to the table other than to bring your meal (we’ve had to flag down servers to get more drinks). They don’t even bring a bill/check to the table; you pay at the counter without an itemized receipt in your possession unless you request one. It felt very odd for us - the service and the lack of tipping because we are used to tipping. I did see some tip jars in some establishments, so they may end up headed towards our type of system if their tourism keeps increasing.

So sometimes, one way might seem crazy, but then there are other ways that don’t make sense either.

What about at Buffets or Character dining? 20% seems awful high for someone who takes away a dirty dish and brings you a drink.

The norm is to tip a buffet server the same amount you would tip a table server.

But that’s not the norm. There is a great article on TripAdvisor that you can google that speaks to tip etiquette. Here is the piece on Buffets. I think Disney bamboozles the tourists to believe that buffet service is the same as full service but its not and nor is it common place to tip 20% for buffets in the US.

From TripAdvisor

For buffet restaurants, tipping servers who clear multiple dishes and provide drink refills is recommended. Some persons may tip buffet servers $1 per diner, others as much as 5 to 10 percent of the total pre-tax bill, depending upon the level of service provided. Buffet servers may not take orders or bring out food, but they do work hard keeping your table clean of the empty plates after multiple trips to the buffet line. In addition to this, they often help to keep the buffet line stocked and clean, and they make coffee, brew tea, etc. Remember that the minimum tip for any server should be $1 per person. Do not leave only 75 cents for a $5.00 buffet! As always, if you feel you have not been well-served, adjust the gratuity down. If a tip has been added to your bill beforehand because your party was 6 or more, but the server was inadequate or rude, inform the manager immediately before you pay your bill that you want the tip adjusted.

1 Like

I usually use 10% as the norm for a buffet presuming they are getting you drinks etc. Does DIS do an auto 18% on large groups at a character buffet? Trying to remember…

Yes they do do auto tip on any party of 6 or more at buffets / character dining at wdw.

Is the auto-tip the full 18% they normally do? Or a reduced rate? I’m betting full 18%…

1 Like