Tipping at meals while at Disney, just how high will it go?

Again I say, I never said it did happen! Neither have I ever thought it happened. I think we have crossed wires. I was asking do you actually think this happens?, as in are you mental?

1 Like

My Costco opened about 15 years ago and most of the original hires are still there.

2 Likes

Yes I do know the table bussers, the bartenders and such do get a cut of the tips. But I really wonder if they could elevate that to more of the employees such as the characters. Just a thought. Maybe not, maybe that is why I have heard some of the waiters/waitresses can make $65-75 grand a year.

I like this! Haven’t heard of that one before.

1 Like

It’s not original; I first heard it years ago.

I’d just be happy if people treated “data” as the plural noun it is.

2 Likes

I make a point of this when I’m teaching statistics.

1 Like

But how will people know that i have 3 datas and not just 1? :joy:

3 Likes

The singular is datum.

I agree! I’ve even heard people in the sciences use it wrong. If you want it to be singular, folks, tack on a “point” after the word “data.”

Ok, getting off my nerd soapbox. I should probably look for a place to hide for when I abuse grammar, as I’m far from perfect myself.

1 Like

Example:

“The data are consistent with British people being better looking than American people. However, this datum would seem to be an outlier to that overall trend.”

You could also use the words “data point.” I do that with my students.
I have no idea what the context of any of this is, but I like data, I teach science.

1 Like

Yes. My usage is slightly pompous.

And I’m inconsistent. I don’t like formulae or radii, so I say formulas and radiuses.

1 Like