Tipping at meals while at Disney, just how high will it go?

Hehe. I see I worded that poorly. I meant I also have friends who are teachers. Sorry about that!

1 Like

For a split second, I thought you were serious and almost lost it. Instead, I can go to sleep happy. (My sister and a couple friends are teachers.). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Teacher pay varies by state and often location in the state so that may be why opinions are so varied on here. Was unaware tip was not set at chef mickeys for under 6 people. Good to know!

Correct. If you had six Disney Adults, that tip would come close to what $60 for dinner? Am I correct on that? And it is a buffet at that. Who all is splitting that tip?

people in any profession can need to work multiple jobs to make ends meet, people in any profession can also spend less money to make ends meet

There was just an article on tricks of tipping on the national news. The main point they brought up was the main thing about tipping is that you offset what the employers is expected to pay in wages. Tip your heart out. Employers love you as they pocket the money they would otherwise have to pay their help.

Many people have multiple jobs to make ends meet and they do not get tips.

It feels a little insane to me that for our “free dining plan” for our family of 7 I’m budgeting as much or more money for tips than I typically might spend on a basic meal out. But a party of seven automatically gets tip added, so we’re just going to put it under the cost of going on vacation. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Question from a country that doesn’t tip: do I tip, and tip the same in Disney quick service as table service?

Can/do you tip with mobile order?

For the record I universally tip in the US and ask a local customer near me what to do if I’m not sure. I amused a lady greatly when I asked if I supposed to tip for my Costco pizza once. TBH I did t get why, I expect the Costco servers wage is just as bad as a nice bar server, but I’m only supposed to tip one?

1 Like

Excellent question. You do not have to tip at quick service. Somewhere like BOG lunch where they bring your food and clear off dishes you can leave a couple of dollars, but not expected.

You may find this blog helpful; https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/tipping-at-walt-disney-world

1 Like

Very true. Makes me wonder how many employees get a chuck of a $50 tip. Is Mickey and Minnie getting a cut at Chef Mickeys? Cause if so, that is not supposed to work like that, right?

You can do all QS to avoid tipping.

1 Like

I am just wondering if Disney is skimming some of these tips to pay other positions that shouldn’t be a tipped position. It would help save them some overhead cost. Are they paying the host, the cooks, who ever else they could with the tips? Makes me wonder.

Are you accusing Disney of stealing tips??

1 Like

Many restaurants require servers to “tip out” a portion of the tips to be distributed to bussers, bartenders, etc

Yes I’m aware of that. That’s normal procedure. But what @Shelly6974 asked was if Disney was using tips to pay characters wages at Chef Mickeys.

Uh, no. That’s against even the laughably meager labor laws we have in Florida. Every ambulance chaser south of Ocala would have a lawsuit going.

The frequent assertion that tipping “offset[s] what the employers is expected to pay in wages” means that the employer gets to pay a lower wage, which counts less against his or her balance sheet, but with the addition of tips can still attract workers. The idea is that the restaurant isn’t on the hook for $15 an hour (or whatever) when business is slow.

To be clear, I’m not saying that they are doing anything wrong. But there was a clear suggestion from another poster in 2 posts that they were, and I was asking them if they really thought that. And they haven’t replied, so I still don’t know.

Nope. Costco starting pay was $15 an hour years ago, and they have pretty generous benefits. Their attitude has been it’s cheaper to retain workers with a living wage than to pay a pittance and have to repeatedly fill a position with new people. Plural of anecdote isn’t data and all, but I see most of the same faces at my local Costco that I did ten years ago.

4 Likes

I have CM friends, some of whom have worked character dining, and that just doesn’t happen. “Tipping out” for bartenders and bus staff does happen, but that’s an accepted practice across the U.S. restaurant business. The bright line is supervisory roles and people who don’t regularly handle food and drink in the front of the house.

1 Like