Tipping at meals while at Disney, just how high will it go?

At restaurants in my area (NJ, USA), I tip a minimum of 20% because I have friends in the service industry who make $3 an hour. Typically turnover on tables is low as well, especially during the week. Typically I throw down a $5 if 20% is less than $5, and a min of 20% at more than $5.

I know that in Disney they make more, and also that they have a MUCH higher turnover and MUCH better tips due to added gratuity helping to prevent people walking without a tip. All that in mind, I will stick to 18-20% unless service is exemplary, and 18% in Buffets where waitresses do very little and sometimes don’t even speak to us after drink orders. In fact, at the worst buffet in MK, our waitress didn’t even return to our table for refills or plate clearing and we were there for over an hour. We never saw her again, anywhere, but there was also no replacement if she had an emergency or something. It was the first time in my adult life I complained about a waitress, and I was upset to begrudgingly give the 18% tip.

1 Like

Well I seen ‘em on the TV,
The movie show.
They say the times are changin’
But I just don’t know.
These things are gone forever
Over a long time ago.

5 Likes

Thanks for this thread. It makes me want to get drunk and over tip.

8 Likes

I went through this before in the blog so I will keep it short. Tipping when and how much is strictly up to you. The 18 to 20+ tip stated on the bill is something the employer loves to put on there so you pay the help and reduce what they have to pay. By all means pay whatever you believe to be fair but if you feel you cannot and you wish to give less or a set amount, that is alright too. If you give a tip no matter the service it becomes expected and the waiter or waitress may do very little for you. Tips are earned and the amount should vary with the service you get. It is only fair as the waiter or waitress that works their butts off for you should get a good tip and those that don’t should receive their pay plus a set amount not a percentage. My opinion only and you do what you feel is right for you.

3 Likes

I’m going to say this and then I’m going to forget this thread exists.

The wage for tipped positions is not a living wage. Is that going to change if you choose not to tip appropriately? No it isn’t. Servers have to pay out others within the restaurant, they don’t get the full amount. And they have no idea if you are going to tip until the end of your meal when you actually do it, or don’t do it. It has no bearing on your service. My understanding is that they are also taxed as if they have been tipped, whether they have or not. The cultural norm is that you tip 18-20% in the US. If we visitors from other countries without a tipping culture can do it, I’m sure you can.

13 Likes

On fire tonight. :joy:

1 Like

Like you I have a different opinion. I will leave it go but my post was to show you are NOT obligated to go with what you consider the norm. If this offends you and others , I am sorry, but there are some of us that don’t believe in tipping the way you seem to believe is written in stone.

1 Like

Now that is a handsome goat.

1 Like

Not even reading. Just jumping to the bottom with my :popcorn:

:joy::joy:

6 Likes

Tom Brady stopped by? I think @OBNurseNH will appreciate my comment?

2 Likes

https://proshop.patriots.com/products/brady-goat-lapel-pin-027571?source=google_products&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT24GU83F1ieBTTMWoVBctsw-dYUsni4OUcSgSIPSlAvyq045SyphJqMaAmP-EALw_wcB#

3 Likes

So the Royal Regiment of Wales have a goat as their mascot. He is also a handsome chap…

2 Likes

He looks inquisitive more than handsome

2 Likes

Where shall I stick my horns?

1 Like

Five names that I can hardly stand to hear,
Including yours and mine and one more chip who isn’t here.
I can hear the ladies talkin’ how the times is gettin’ hard,
And that fearsome excavation on Magnolia Boulevard.

3 Likes

_105296701_trio
Not…

1 Like

…Bad sneakers and a Pina Colada my friend
Stompin’ on the avenue
By Radio City with a
Transistor and a large sum of money to spend

3 Likes

A sure way to have the Pats lose the superbowl is to have them play my Giants. I know we are on the bottom but when we have been in the bowl as under dogs the pats choke on big blue.

You fella, you tearin’ up the street,
You wear that white tuxedo, how you gonna beat the heat?
Do you take me for a fool, or do you think that I don’t see
That ditch out in the Valley that they’re diggin’ just for me?

3 Likes