Tip/Thoughts for 1st Timers and their Worries about Crowds

Thanks, we are planning on a 2-4 hour rest every afternoon, and we’re staying at the Poly. We will regularly split up so my husband can do the things our girls can’t or won’t want to do. I’m unsure whether to do the MVMCP, had thought the lower crowds would enable us to all see the parades and fireworks together, but my research makes me think they will still be packed, so maybe I’m better off braving the crowds alone with the girls on another night.

I can’t comment on the MVMCP, but I will say it sounds like you have a great plan with the afternoon rests and with staying at the Poly. Given you’re on the monorail, it will be so easy to take those breaks and get back to the park when you want to!

1 Like

KatySugar your post has made me feel better, thank you so much. I am new to this planning as I haven’t been to WDW in over 10 years. This will be our only trip there (my husband is also not a Disney fan) so I want to fit in everything that we can with minimum wait in lines. I have spent so much time with my touring plans and FP’s and we thought the week we picked, 4/12 to 4/19 was out of the spring break danger zone. But in looking at the FB group I belong to they are all saying how off the crowd calendars are and the touring plans and wait times estimated are way off. I know this is so stupid but I wanted to cry hearing this. I am so confused on what to do with my plans. They have wait times no longer than 30 minutes with most being 20 or under, which I thought was awesome but I am hearing that the wait times this week are more than double in some instances. Anyway, reading your post helped to calm me a little and I keep trying to tell myself that there is nothing I can do about the crowds. I just want to know that I have the best plan of action in seeing everything. My family doesn’t really do many rides like Big Thunder Mountain or Space mountain so that’s in our favor at least. :slight_smile: Any additonal advice you can give on MK, AK and Epcot would be great! thanks again!!

I’m sure it will be OK. TP always says a good plan is far more important than the crowd level. Your planing and TP’s will help you maximise your time, so when things go a bit off track, remember you are in a better position than most of the other guests. Have you set your speed of walking to very relaxed or scheduled a few mini breaks, that would yourself give yourself more wriggle room. Hope you have a brilliant time.

Thank you for your reply. We don’t have any dining reservation, we are just going to plan on eating when we are hungry and just grab a quick bite wherever we are. For lunch in MK I think Tom Sawyer Island and the Liberty Square Riverboat was around lunch time so I thought that would give us some time to grab lunch and relax for a bit. I think AK had the lunch built in as well. Epcot we will be in the World Showcase mid day so we will gran lunch there and dinner whenever as well. I am just wondering for MK I built in everything we would like to do but there are some, like Winnie the Pooh and Small World ride for example that aren’t must do’s and I have 7 and 13 year old boys so they wouldn’t be heartbroken if we didn’t go on those, they are just ones I would like to see if possible. The TP has us going to Winnie the Pooh at rope drop and then Ariel ride and small world and then Peter Pan. The Peter Pan on is a 33 minute wait according to the TP which we have a FP for at 9:15 I think. My question is should I redo the plan to make Peter Pan ride to be done 1st at RD and just check back later in the afternoon on the TP lines app for any that we don’t have to hit or put those other 3 into the plan but in the afternoon? Or just leave the plan that I first made that I like alone?

Hi Mamare! You’re in a great position in that your family isn’t interested in the “big”/coaster types of rides. What I would recommend is to be flexible once you are there and drop an attraction when the timing isn’t working. And, don’t worry about the fact you’re not seeing everything you’ve planned to see. One never could see EVERYTHING anyway. So good with the attitude that you will see lots of great things. Just enjoy what you do see and experience. Be willing to change plans when your family decides they really want to do X or Y or take a break.

As far as your more specific question, I’m definitely not an expert. You said you have a FP for Peter Pan. Have you put that in the TP? If so, then I would definitely just follow what the TP is recommending. If you are following it that morning and find that you are getting off track with the rides, just drop one of them (like if you aren’t going to make your FP window for Peter Pan, then don’t do Small World and instead get over to Peter Pan).

Another thing I did when developing plans was to have a plan that was only for the morning (park open until 11:30am) and then a second plan for after lunch and a third plan for the evening. Have you tried things that way? It feels more realistic and manageable that way. And, even though you’re going to grab food when you are hungry, still try to eat at “off” times. Don’t wait until noon to grab lunch because you’ll wait 30 minutes in a line just to order.

Another recommendation is to definitely put Philharmagic on your list of to dos because it’s a fantastic show and there is little wait. Same goes for the Hall of Presidents.

As far as AK goes, what are your kids interested in? Again, the shows are a great choice because they usually don’t have lines. Just get there 20 minutes before the show and you’ll get in. And, the Tree of Life is super cool with the show Bugs Life inside it. Again, you don’t seem to have to wait in line for that show. I was there on a “9” day and didn’t wait to get into that show.

In Epcot, definitely grab lunch on the World Showcase side (French bakery or Norway’s bakery have lovely things and sandwiches…or there’s fish and chips people love at the Britain pavilion).

Just have fun and go with the flow. There is so much on offer that it’s hard to imagine anyone could have a bad time (as long as they expect crowds…always expect crowds and then be pleasantly surprised if they don’t turn out that day).