My family is going Nov 11-20. Our exchange student is coming with us from the 11-15 and my sister is supposed to come with us from the 16-19. I bought all of our tickets earlier in the year when they were still including Genie+ but we didn’t have the exchange student yet so she currently has no tickets. My sister is currently tentative for the trip due to some personal reasons and I have known this and understand. I don’t really want to buy another set of tickets if my sister doesn’t come but I think at this point it will be a very last minute decision. Sister has 2 days of tickets and APRs at MK and DHS on the 18 and 19.
I’m trying to decide if I should transfer the existing ticket, add a day and move the APRs to the 12, 13 and 15 (Epcot, MK, AK) for our exchange student. I am most worried about the MK reservation on the 13th. I’m just trying not to be a jerky sister and look like I’m forcing her to make a decision she isn’t ready to make. If she does come I think I can easily buy her another ticket at the last minute and just buy Genie+ on the day of. Or path of least resistance to just buy a 3-day ticket today for our exchange student.
Here is where we stand with APRs. What would you do?
I would present it this way (because I do think you need to do it ASAP):
Disney requires this level of planning. It’s totally okay for you to delay your final decision, but I cannot wait to make these adjustments for our exchange student. I’d like to change the ticket over to the student, and then if you do come you can purchase those tickets when you are ready and make your plans accordingly. You may need to purchase park hopper (or do you guys have those??) in order to join us wherever we are because park reservations are beginning to fill up. I’m sure you can understand that I’m trying to be sensitive to your needs while assuring our student is able to join us - as they are a sure thing - too.
I think I’d just buy a 3-day ticket so you can book parks.
If your sister ends up not coming you could always use that ticket for another trip.
I agree with both @OBNurseNH and @Nicky_S so I am no help. I would just do something asap.
My issue with this, though it is a good potential solution, is having my money tied up with Disney for an indeterminate amount of time.
I think the real issue here is that you’re risking the sure thing guest (your student) for a maybe guest (your sister) and I think the maybe guest has to understand the why of why you just can’t do that.
Yes, this she knows and definitely gets. And it was exactly the conversation we had back in like May/June (?) when I suddenly was like, we gotta buy tickets now! We do have hoppers and she knows that I would check 100 times a day to get her an APR if they did sell out even though I’m less worried about her days selling out.
She will, I’m just trying to be overly sensitive to her! If I hadn’t assigned the ticket to her I could have just moved it around myself and she wouldn’t have even noticed!
Ahhhhhhhhh. Yes this.
Well if she gets then I’m sure she will totally “get it”. It’s nice of you to be so careful with her, whatever it is she’s dealing with. She’s lucky to have you for her sister!
I was really fine with this when I bought her ticket in June! But now honestly it’s looking less likely that we’ll go back in 2023 and I have a sure thing who could use it for sure now. Ugh!
I think also your sister’s personality and your relationship play a factor. There are certain family members of mine I would eat (some) money for in order to avoid any drama or straining of the relationship, etc. Others (like my own sister), I’m far more comfortable being upfront and candid with and explaining situations as they are. It sounds like your sister probably falls in the latter group, so I would probably just explain the situation to her, and tell her of your concerns about not wanting her to feel at all pressured. If she’s anything like mine, she’ll appreciate the concern but tell you you’re silly for thinking she would be upset with you and understand the situation completely🤞
I would do a 3 day for less family drama, ticket switch for less drama with Disney in the parks (we encountered problems on our last trip when my nephew had different tickets than ours.) Pick your drama lol!
Haha interesting! My immediate family has 6-day hoppers so everyone else who comes with us will have different tickets no matter what! I’ll keep an eye out.
Update: Nice chat happened and ticket has been reassigned! I’ve promised to buy a new one as soon as APRs start filling up.
Now I am facing the following issue, it doesn’t seem to want to let me change this ticket now! Is it because she’s 17? (She’s in there as my child.) Or should I have upgraded it while my sister still had it? Ugh…
I’d just call
Oh and glad the conversation went so easily!
Ok I think I will be safe to try calling tomorrow. Interestingly all of my sister’s APRs transferred so I had to modify. I don’t know why I assumed they would be canceled. But I got Sat/Sun all set so hopefully an AK reservation will be easy enough to get in a few days.
I’m preserving this here because I searched and all of the old numbers appear to be out of service. Also, if you call this number and are DVC - do not press that number! They can’t help you, they gave me this number.
Ticket specialist: 407-939-7679 or 407-566-4985
I will add that to my contacts in my phone. I have a whole page that’s just Disney contact numbers. I wonder if there’s a max number of phone numbers any single contact can have?
PS You should do the same We all should have a Disney contacts folder in our contacts
Ok, first, update that last number to be 407-566-4985. This time I got a FAB cast member. And here we are:
But also wouldn’t you know that now I can change it online!
Worth noting for posterity that I lost ALL of my convention ticket savings but I am sure I made some of that back by paying $15 per day for Genie+ which they let me keep.