Thread N18

Oh! Did you see what I just posted- try Bear Brook!

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard of that one ā€” Iā€™ll try it!

Another one for you: Dr. Death. Totally harrowing story about a madman doctor and the failings of the US healthcare system. Excellently produced. Mind-boggling story.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will listen!

Give Radio Harambe a try. It is Animal Kingdom- focused and they do a variety of shows- some are lists of ā€œthe best soundsā€ ā€œthe most underrated attractionsā€ others focus on animal conservation efforts or the history/backstory of certain parts of the park. I had such a deeper appreciation and understanding of AK before I went, I really think they are the reason it was my favorite park. They are two guys who just ove the park- not travel agents.

4 Likes

Thanks, sounds fascinating!

The guys at Backside of Magic really like that podcast, too.

Undisclosed began looking at the same case as Serial season 1- in even more detail.

2 Likes

Love Serial and Ask Me Another.

Would recommend Bear Brook if you like Serial And Believed is good too (trigger warning: that one is about sexual abuse)

Other favorites: The Moth, This American Life, TED Radio Hour, 1A, Fresh Air. And for the news roundup each day, Up First.

2 Likes

S-Town! Yes! That one was awesome!

Also enjoyed Someone Knows Something

1 Like

Did not realize that! Hmmā€¦ how to cram another podcast into my queue. If only my commute were longerā€¦ :crazy_face:

1 Like

Summer months I have my commute and I can walk when I get home, outside with headphones on! It clears them all out.

1 Like

Well, you are naming a large chunk of my podcast subscriptions.

(Although I was burned out by the end of Serial season 1 and just couldnā€™t do that one anymore.)

Give it another try. The most recent season, about the criminal justice system, will get your blood boiling.

Well but if that is what burned you out from season 1 maybe not. Lol.

1 Like

Lately, too many things making my blood boil. :grimacing: :scream: :exploding_head: :weary:

1 Like

So true. So very true.

2 Likes

Wow I will for sure need to listen to that!
When you are done with serial let me know what you think. I have an strong opinion about what went down. Iit would be interesting to see if you concur.

I have listened to all three seasons of Serial!

2 Likes

I have listened to all three seasons too! Love it!
Sarah Koenig canā€™t do a bad job with anything she does. She is phenomenal.

3 Likes

I have some more general podcast recommendations. Last Seen - itā€™s about an art heist in Boston. My Favorite Murder (skip the chatty part in the beginning if thatā€™s not your thing) - two women discussing murders. They try to be very respectful to the murdered person and their survivors. Discovered at Thanksgiving (sorry, ProfMatt) that my 21yo cousin is also a Murderino. The Daily is a daily (ha!) podcast from the NY Times thatā€™s a 20 minute dive into a topical story. Slate also has two historical podcasts I really enjoy. Slow Burn (season one was about Watergate) and Whistlestop.

1 Like

I stumbled upon a Disney podcast I enjoy that I donā€™t think was mentioned yet. Geekinā€™ on WDW-My favorite type of Disney podcasts are the trip reports. I enjoy the ā€œSo, which foot did you start with?ā€ type of details. I do fast forward through the first 5-10 minutes of this often 2 hour podcast (they are travel agents).
I actually really dislike disUnplugged. It feels like a boys club, not much diversity of point of view. I think that may be why I do enjoy BOG, the 3 people who host it are each pretty different and I like their banter.

1 Like