Thoughts on Mama Melrose's?

My wife and I have reservations to Mama Melrose’s during our next trip. We’ve been there only one other time and were very disappointed. Almost tasted like Chef Boyardee. That was 2007, though, and we’re hoping that’s enough time to have made improvements. Has anyone been lately and can comment on the quality of the food? Am I better off making other HS plans?

We’ve gone twice though not in the last four years. I liked it better the first time. Last time we went my pasta was not very impressive. We are skipping it for our next trip. Going to give Trattoria al Forno a try instead.

1 Like

I’ve never been there because I’ve heard very polarizing reviews. The best review I’ve heard is that it’s a good lunch place, especially to get the F! dining package. Even from podcasts & reviews that praise it don’t say it is a “must-do” eatery.

1 Like

I think it is very important to know what to order at Mama Melrose. The steak in good- very good. My son ordered a pasta with chicken and cream sauce and it was not good.

2 Likes

We ate there last week with the Fantasmic lunch package. I think it is worth it for Fantasmic, not sure I go there without the package. We do really enjoy the atmosphere, it is quiet for a Disney restaurant. I had a braised pork with risotto (the special) and it was very good. My husband ordered the charred strip steak and said it was good. My son ordered spaghetti and meatball, the sauce was not good. I agree with Principal Tinker you need to know what to order.

4 Likes

We had the F! dinner package in 2016 and we thought dinner was excellent

2 Likes

We went in June and it was aggressively meh. I got the spaghetti and meatballs and they were not great. But we pretty much ate there for the Fantasmic! seating, which was great. (The fact that it was still a billion degrees when F! started was another issue)

3 Likes

aggressively meh

I am stealing this for use in everyday life

2 Likes

This about sums up my feelings on the place. Ate there last year and in 2016. All the dishes had (steak, chicken and penne pasta, and lasagna) were all passable, but nothing I would recommend anyone to go out of their way to check out.

3 Likes

I think you guys have convinced me to cancel. I didn’t have the “warm and fuzzies” about it to begin with.

…and also…thank you so much for “aggressively meh”!

2 Likes

Not an answer to your question, but we really, really enjoyed Hollywood Brown Derby with F! and our server just charged us the meal price which was apparently less than the package price, but gave us the F! tickets anyway. We both ordered the filet which was amazing. Dessert was also delicious and we ordered specific desserts instead of the included dessert trio. Just a thought if F! was a reason for Mama Melrose. We also really enjoyed SciFi for a cool, quiet midday break from the heat. I looked at the menus and HBD seemed a better value than MM for quality.

1 Like

You already made up your mind but I culled photos so I’m going to share anyway…

2 Likes

Hah! Permission granted :wink:

I’m still planning on trying it soon, probably next trip. I’m not expecting fine dining from here. Hopefully, just up to the same level as a chain restaurant like Carrabba’s or Macaroni Grill.

That’s a good comparison.
Part of our pleasure came from having one of best servers we’d ever encountered. She radiated joy and competence. The fact that I still remember it three years later… her name was Angela. :+1:.

DH and I had steak that was done nicely.
And the apps were a lot of fun - calamari for DS, smoked tuna and greens for me.
Dessert was included and we loved them too.

1 Like

We loved Mama Melrose’s although it was in 2017. We did the F! Package and had a fab meal with delicious cocktails and then got absolutely drenched watching F! in pouring rain!! The only real rain of our whole holiday.

1 Like

We have been twice now, in the past year and a half and it’s definitely one of our favorites. Food has been excellent. The only disappointing thing was the grilled chicken from the kids menu. My 9 year old daughter ordered that and they literally brought out a tiny naked chicken breast on a plate with nothing else. We all shared our pasta to give her something to eat!

1 Like