This is NOT a live trip report (9/14 - 9/22, Pop & BWI)

14 Likes

Yay!

1 Like

You have the most infectious smile! So glad today is going well. Just keep hydrating and taking those AC breaks! I think Epcot is the hardest park in some ways. It’s so big walking around World Showcase. I can see how you got over-heated there.

6 Likes

Ferrytale Fireworks Sparkling Dessert Cruise has started serving drinks! (And this cruise is crawling with vloggers, too - guess they couldn’t resist when they heard we made it!)

21 Likes

Take pictures of them and pretend they are celebrities like Mickey and Minnie.

4 Likes

Ok, here’s the skinny on the Ferrytales Fireworks Sparkling Dessert Cruise: I didn’t care for it.

The problem is that I’m older and I’m an introvert, and the big fireworks cruise is full of children. They do things that children do, like run around like suicidal maniacs trying to throw themselves off a double-decker ferryboat.

It’s disquieting to be so near so much suicidal ideation.

The parents of said tots fall into two categories: (1) Let It Go, and (2) If it cries, give it candy.

The second problem is that really, the fireworks are just better inside the park. You can hear the music, you can see the projections clearly, the crowd is quieter if only because of the nearness of the music and the explosions. The music on the ferry is very quiet, and the suicidal toddlers are VERY LOUD.

(deep breath)

The desserts are largely sugar-flavored sugar bombs. For instance, the peanut M&M’s sitting on the desk before me taste like two things: Peanuts and chocolate. The sugar bombs tasted a lot like… sugar. I have washed my hands and face twice since I got back to the room, and I’m still finding sticky spots. (Not necessarily of my own making, because see above: parental category #2: “if it cries, give it candy.”)

The most interesting thing that happened was at the very end, after we got off the ferry, a CM stood at the top of the ramp shouting that if we needed a ride back to a Disney resort, we should stay with him. As people stacked up, he explained that he would put us on a special bus to the MK where we could catch our resort bus at the MK bus station… but when we walked over to the bus terminal, there were no buses for us. Words were exchanged among people with clipboards and nametags. Heads were shaken. Hands were waved. It was awesome. And then a man in a nice, crisp white uniform came with slips of paper and asked every one of us where we were staying. He waved at an idling bus, which came over like a magnificent steel steed, and the man called out that everyone staying at the Pop Century and the Boardwalk should get on this bus. We got on the bus! And then… the bus didn’t go to the MK – it went to the Pop Century and the Boardwalk!!!

So I am back in my room, cooling off, writing a trip report, and listening to the Epcot fireworks.

Magic still happens at WDW, y’all. Not only did we get a nearly-direct bus to our resort, but not one toddler actually died during the fireworks cruise!!!

Oh, I forgot to say that the pink cocktail with the prosecco was really very tasty, but the rummy blue one was nearly all rum. Whew!

17 Likes

I love how you tell a story :kissing_heart:. I can see all the suicidal children

5 Likes

That’s very kind of you! I do enjoy writing. (Even if I don’t particularly enjoy small children.) I’m sure lots of people will enjoy the big fireworks dessert cruise. It’s just … a lot … for me.

5 Likes

You had a very different experience than we did (of course this was before stupid Covid).

2 Likes

I did wonder if there were some kinks that needed to be worked out. I’m glad to hear there are better ways to do the fireworks on the ferry!

2 Likes

I have to admit it wasn’t the best way to see the fireworks though but at least no suicidal children.

1 Like

Catching up on old stuff that I didn’t finish because I stink at writing live trip reports –

Day 1, the end of the day at the MK – That viewing spot that Wesley picked was great and I loved it and I cried at the fireworks. But a Very Cool And Awesome Thing Happened While We Were Waiting: The SpaceX launch took place, and we could all see it from the Tomorrowland Terrace! Someone to our left suddenly exclaimed, “There it is!!” and we all looked up… and there it was!!! It was encased in clouds, so it looked especially ethereal and otherworldly – and COOL!!!

A few minutes later, Wesley looked up and exclaimed, “There’s the international space station!” And sure enough, there she was. (We often watch the ISS while we’re at home. There’s a way to get a notification if it’s going to be visible in your part of the world, and Wesley subscribes to that.)

Then there were fireworks, and that was just, like, icing on the cake.

[This is the second time I’ve seen a launch while at WDW – the first time was a space shuttle launch in May (or very early June) 1998. We were walking back to our room at the French Quarter and a guy in our building was running around the balconies yelling, “Space shuttle! Space shuttle launch!” We took off running to get to the other side of the building. I’ll never forget it!]

And after HEA, we walked over to the PeopleMover and got to experience the best attraction in the MK! We walked slowly out of the park, stopped for a photo, and made our way to the bus. Such a magical night!!!

More later! Tomorrow (Sunday): MK! Fantasyland! and Epcot, Take 2!

15 Likes

As someone with small children, I appreciate this perspective. As tempting as this cruise would be for me, watching others crazy toddlers would be a nope for me.

I also enjoy your writing, so thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you for this review. I (very briefly) looked at all of the dessert party options at MK thinking of doing one as a surprise for my sis on Marathon Weekend. I decided to pass. Your review reinforces my decision, at least for this one. I’ve never been particularly impressed by almost ANY dessert at WDW (toffee thing at LTT, bread pudding at Ohana, and hummingbird cake at Homecoming being standout exceptions) so paying to have a whole bunch of unimpressive desserts (and reserved seating) is unappealing.

But of all the things that disturb me about your review, this is perhaps the most upsetting

EAT THEM!!! THEY WERE MEANT TO BE EATEN!!! THEY SHOULD NOT SIT ON A DESK IN FRONT OF YOU!!!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest I also want to say I’m so glad for the magic and that no kids died on your trip LOL And that I wish I was surprised by the lack of coordination at the end of the night regarding transportation but I’m super glad it worked out in your favor in the end.

7 Likes

Um, I don’t know if you noticed the title of this thread, but OP never promised “Live”. In fact OP specifically said this is “NOT LIVE”.

So wicked cool about the SpaceX launch! I saw a rocket launch from the ferry from MK to TTC. Though nobody on the ferry were well informed about that there was a rocket launch (self included) and given the climate of the world at that time we were all briefly worried until I located the lauch schedule on my phone. And then it was super cool!

6 Likes

Oh, trust me, I Ate The Peanut M&M’s! This is my favorite vacation candy. It somehow reminds me of early 1970’s beach vacations, sunscreen, swimsuits, and good times for all. :grin:

6 Likes

That’s so cool!

1 Like

My mom got creative when my brother had a son so it goes my favorite eldest grandchild, my favorite granddaughter and my favorite youngest grandchild lol. I do this too in telling them they are both my favorite. It’s a tie. ;-).

3 Likes

If anyone’s interested, one of the vloggers who was on the same Ferrytale Fireworks cruise that we were on has posted his version of a review.

Spoiler: He enjoyed it a great deal more than I did.

6 Likes

I can hear kids in the background. and I didn’t realize there are two different ways to do a Fairytale Cruise: That big boat (less expensive) or a smaller vessel and more expensive. It’s nice to have choices.