Thinking of not getting G+, am I insane?

That is great it worked well for you without it. It just would not work for my family.

3 Likes

We’re going the route of fewer park days, but adding hoppers and Genie+ I think it will work out well for my family since we can go hard RD to close with rest/water park days in between. I decided Genie+ for three days was well under adding a fourth day to our tickets. Trade-offs.

7 Likes

This is a smart way to look at it.

At the right parks (MK, HS) G+ is tremendously impactful on how full your day can be.

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the great insight everyone! It seems like right now I may be leaning towards getting it for MK and HS. I will be in the MK the day before the rest of my family arrives so I may get it and try it out then and see how it goes.

Looks like it’s time to do a bit more research on it and the best ways to have it work for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Still planning so this is just theory lol. I am only doing 3 park days in mid August. and fully planned to do Genie+ for all 3 days as we were power FP users. But after putting together our own itinerary, we realized we had very little need for Genie+ as we would rely on rope drop and Early Entry regardless.

At Epcot, between Early Entry and doing a chunk of Future World after 6pm, we should be able to fit in everything without Genie+.

I still wanted to buy it for DHS but looking at our Early Entry plans, it didn’t add much other than guaranteeing Slinky and ToT - and we are ok missing them (although if all goes perfectly, we should make it on both!). We found it added just a touch more hassle to our day since we won’t know return times until we book and we like to avoid criss-crossing and follow a written plan. It helps a lot that shows are a priority for us too and it’s hard enough (for us) to fit in all the rides and shows at DHS in one day so we really don’t have the time for too many multiple rides.

I really don’t expect to wait more than 15-20 mins in any line. We are old hats at rope drop and have no issues making sure we are at the front of the RD pack.

5 Likes

I will be in WDW the same time as you, 9/11-9/19!

I’m a long-time Liner, and crowd levels of 1 or 2 like we’ll encounter that week changes things. You often don’t have to even use a TP when it’s that low, but I still use the app throughout the parks to look at line lengths. (note that Lines app times will be more accurate than Disney apps)

This is my first time back since Genie rollout. With crowd levels this low, I only anticipate using G+ a couple days for my #1 most-do rides. If crowds are higher, G+ could be essential, but I’m not expecting so for the week you and I are there.

Bottom line, that week I’ll be watching the Lines app a lot, using TP when I need to, and only using G+ (and ILL) for the most critical days/rides.

3 Likes

Yep. It comes down to how much you value your vacation time at, and how much time G+ can save you.

3 Likes

Very cool, hope you have a great trip!

I’ve never been when the crowds are 1s and 2s, I’ve always had to go in early to mid June after school let out so this trip will be interesting for sure.

I always use the Lines app while I’m there for actual wait times, it’s fantastic!

2 Likes

I have not found this to be the case right now. The MDE app has actually been more accurate. Anyone else notice this lately?

3 Likes

Right now, the MDE app on Android isn’t terribly helpful here because of a bug (which I reported to Disney). If you list the rides, it won’t show the ride times. It will on the map…but the map refreshes every few seconds, and zooms back out, so it is hard to focus on the wait times you want to see!

Disney said they are “hard at work” to get this resolved in the next release, but it has been a month and no fix yet. This isn’t a hard thing to fix, so I think the email was a boilerplate response.

So, if they don’t get this fixed by our trip, I have to rely on the TP app to see posted (and expected) wait times.

(The iOS version of MDE doesn’t have this bug.)

3 Likes

Yes if you effectively RD you have less need. We’re early risers but struggle to get out. The parks open obscenely early and the rush to get out isn’t worth it. We’ll probably arrive before 9 still each day but I feel that having Genie+ is the price we have to pay not RD. I also hate crowds - even before COVID but especially now so the whole RD scene also scares me.

2 Likes

I’ll also add that on September it’s going to be hot humid and rainy. Even saving 15-20 minutes in line might be worth it on those conditions for outdoor lines.

4 Likes

Expect 3 or 4 as TP admitted they undershot predictions the whole summer, with the continued revenge travel.

I know the norm is 1 or 2 for Sept. But just think many people that would have normally come in Sept '20 or '21, will visit this year.

6 Likes

Yea. The TP app was very off on my trip. MDE was more accurate.

3 Likes

This is us. There is no way we could be enjoying our resort so much if we were spending the majority of our days waiting in lines. We haven’t rope dropped at all this whole trip, and it has been great so far.

6 Likes

As others have said already I would definitely get it for MK and HS. The only thing it will negatively impact is your wallet, but it will ensure you maximize your experiences throughout the day. I can’t imagine ever going to either of those parks without G+ again, simply bc I’m not waiting 45+ minutes for anything and that’s about average for headliners.

Plus at MK you will look like super Uncle blowing through all those lines.

5 Likes

We haven’t even come close to a rope drop either. But we are getting everything done we want thanks to stacking LLs all day (and buying a few ILLs), deluxe evening hours, and 8 park days.

3 Likes

Yesterday the headliners at HS had posted waits of 65-180 minutes. :scream::scream::scream: We can barely manage 20, no way I could wait that long in the heat.

5 Likes

Huge NOPE from me.

Also I realize I am a ‘throw money at it’ (within reason) person so while already spending hundreds and thousands of $$ on a very special trip with limited time I wouldn’t balk at adding another $200 to make my trip better and get to accomplish more things. There is a money value to time. I’m also someone who would focus on all we didn’t get to do so I’d be kicking myself if I missed out on stuff by not spending the extra to save significant time.

12 Likes

100%

2 Likes