[Theory] Price of Galactic Starcrusier going down in the future

That has a much broader appeal. It isn’t limited to mostly Star Wars fans.

3 Likes

Oh for sure. But there are thousands of staterooms on multiple ships available for a Disney Cruise, compared to 100 rooms (and on land within the U.S. - no needing to go on a boat or get a passport for those to whom that is an impediment). I suspect that more than makes up for the difference in interest.

2 Likes

I think this is their plan actually. Get it at 6k for as long as they can, then start lowering the price as demand slows to capture a new group of people.

I could see it being half it’s current rate in 2-3 years.

2 Likes

Adjusted for inflation that means it will just stay where it is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also :sob:

4 Likes

I think there will be a slight decrease but I think they will still keep the price tag high and add benefits & discounts that will seem great but ultimately have you spending more than the adjusted rack rate for the room. It’s all speculation now. But the “squeeze every last drop out of the peasants” mentality may not go away.

1 Like

I have been trying to remain storyline spoiler free but still following enough to get the sense of what is included and what the experience is like. Its gor me thinking about true “equivilant costs”

Current cost:
Family of four: $5,800 - $1,450 pp
Family of thee: $5200 - $1,733 pp
Group of two: $4800 - $2,400 pp

I listened to the Dis, spoiler free, “what you need to know” podcast. Craig and Denny were asked to put a price on their experience and they said, $2,000 to $2,500. I don’t know if they meant per person or per group. If it was per person, then Disney is pricing it right.

So then I thought to add up the potential costs and see how thay priced out.

• Deluxe resort - $500 a night
  • Food (rounded up from old dining plan costs) - $150 per adult, $60 per child per day.

Immersive entertainment - from reports, when you are awake, you are immersed in game play. So I think is fair to put a price, per person, for immersive game play.

• Plaid - the minimum price for a plaid is $47 per person .
  • 5 Wit - an immersive storytelling advnture at my local mall - $35 per person.

I decided to average these two, so went for $41 per person per hour. I assummed 8 hours the first day and 14 hours the second day. 22 hours × $41 = $900.

$75 value of HS admission

That brings us to:

Family of four (1 Disney child, 1 Disney adult) = $5,920 or $1480 pp
Family of 3 (no Disney child) = $4,825 or $1608 pp
Group of 2 = $ 3,550 or $1775 per person.

Based on this math, the family of four is getting a bargain, and it is the group of two who are way overpaying.

So maybe some slight adjustments in that direction helps them save face. (keeping the “family of four” number the same but lower the other prices). That would make this more affordable for that group of people who havent started families but have started to have some disposable income.

4 Likes

It nice to see this math laid out. And it makes it more obvious that for a family of 4, nearly 60% of the cost ($3,600ish) is for the “immersion.” Even if you increase the hotel share (for the highly themed environment), it’s hard to get the immersion to be less than 50% of the cost.

The duration/intensity of the immersion (which is highly stimulating and I can see why it would feel overwhelming to some) might end up being a stickier problem than the price. It would be interesting if they’d offer the same amount of immersion, but spread over a 3-4 night “sailing.”

1 Like

‘Twas ever thus. Society punishes single people and the childless with much higher per person costs.

3 Likes

Ooh, now that is an interesting idea both financially and to deal with the intensity problem. If you add a night people feel they are getting more for their money - you would have to increase the price for the stay and food, but not the “themed entertainment” portion.

I wonder if Disney would realize actual savings by spreading the equity actors out over more days. Or if this is all highly qualified, highly paid CMs and they wouldnt see a savings…

What if they just made it more cruise-y and less scripted. Various activities going on all around the “ship”, opportunities for “excursions” to Batuu, but everything at a more relaxed and less scheduled pace. Lose the storyline, per se - have plenty of characters for interactions but don’t make it so rote that you miss out on a lot if you decide you want a nap.

5 Likes

I think your pricing is valid, but just for comparison, here is what I came up with:

The squishiest number here is the “Ongoing immersive and interactive entertainment.” There are a lot of cast members involved - more than I would have thought! Is that equivalent to The Cursed Child? Or more like a Plaid experience, as you used in your calculation? I expect the immersive CM experience is why Disney is justifying their high price. (I hope they are paying these CMs well.)

Here’s where I first posted the above:

2 Likes

Hahaha. Good one.

2 Likes

So, you are thinking they should have characters that wander around and interact with the guests. These characters are themed to the environment they are in.

I think they could do this and maybe call it something like, Streetmosphere . Maybe call them the Citizens of Hollywood…I mean Citizens of the Halcyon or Citizens of the Outer rim. That might just work. :crazy_face:

So for the cost of immersion, is it not included in the park ticket at HS?

2 Likes

Oooh thanks. So much prettier!

Yes - the cost of the immersion is really key here! The rest is more easily replicable.

1 Like

I think this would be the way for them to make it repeatble and cost less. I think they could make a bunch of money.

But it isn’t revolutionary in the way Chapek wanted to pin the futue of the compnay. I guess well see if the peoeple want a revolution? :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

ISWYDT

I didn’t say I would buy in, just meant that it might appeal to more people

2 Likes

If that happens, I go back to having zero interest. The only thing that made me excited about the idea of this (in the past week) was the idea that this is an interactive experience, not really just a hotel/cruise stay. Becoming a part of the story is, in fact, what makes this unique. Otherwise…I’d just stick to visiting Batuu in my HS visit.

1 Like

I legitimately expected the experience to be this when it was first announced. While a few “mission-centered” cast are thrown in. You’d have to seek out those mission-centered CMs in order to participate in the over-arching story. Sort of like how Batuu is run curren–er well – precovid. You have your special characters running around and you have your standard CMs.

Turns out… [in accent] On Halcyon! CMs seek YOU!

4 Likes

I think one thing that is being somewhat “accepted” here – but probably shouldn’t be – is the relative cost of the Normal Park Experience , which is in a gross over-inflation uptick in recent years.

If they wanted, Disney could balloon the prices of their experiences even more and then suddenly the Halcyon ends up looking like a bargain when viewed through this lens.

“Chef Mickey’s is now $120 pp! Let’s go do Halcyon instead” ← that sounds insane (but…y’know… it’s not totally far fetched in this D’Amaro/Chapek world)

5 Likes

Shut. Your. Mouth! :wink:

5 Likes