The truly important stuff: Laundry!

Wow. Really?

In a house, we basically just do a load of laundry every day or so. Put clothes in the washer while we’re at the parks, and throw them in the dryer when we get back, that kind of thing.

But, alas, that isn’t really an option this time around.

1 Like

I did laundry at the POP facility near the main pool and had no issues with taking multiple machines and dryers during evening hours in February. While laundry was going I had a couple drinks at the Petals bar poolside and chatted with some really fascinating people who were all long-time Disney fans. Only two other people came in to do laundry the entire time I was sitting there (around 75 min).

1 Like

Am I weird if I say I enjoy doing laundry at Disney? Especially when we had the room right next to the quit pool and laundry facility at POR, it was seriously 10 steps from my room.

2 Likes

Yes.

Or, wait. Was that meant to be rhetorical?

:wink:

2 Likes

I don’t mind Disney laundry when I plan it just right. In fact, the last 2 trips I have come home with more than 1/2 of our clothes clean. All I had to do was put them away! Nothing better than coming home from vacation and not having ALL of that dirty laundry to do!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ETA: in here is a link to a whole blog post I did about laundry at WDW

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, @OBNurseNH.

In that post, you mention about a hour later the dryer being done. So does this mean the wash takes about 30 minutes, and the dryer takes about an hour?

ETA: Oh. I see you had the info at the end of the post. 36 minutes. Sorry I missed that on first glance!

1 Like

IIRC that would be correct.

It’s a perfect amount of time for me. Put in the laundry, go get coffee (and maybe breakfast), change things over to the dryer, do a resort walk around, collect laundry

I tend to return a little before drying is over and fold as I pull things out to minimize wrinkling.

It’s the craziest thing I know, but I love my laundry mornings!

3 Likes

It depends on the dynamic of the trip. But very often I would prefer the entire wardrobe be completely reset, especially if we are re-wearing specialty clothes, etc. We usually have a rest day mid vacation. Those massive washers at the laundromats do it all in an hour.

1 Like

We’ve done laundry on trips, many times especially during warmer weather. We love (weird) sitting by the pool and going back and forth to the laundry mat. We usually do it at the end of a day and never had a problem accessing machines and even more than one machine. SO much nicer than commercial ones. We too bring a collapsible hamper for our rooms, but buy the detg. from their vending machine. If I remember correctly all the run times are posted inside the building. We tried unsuccessfully to use the phone notifications. In the past… the ALL STAR resorts are overrun by BIG young tour groups and the L.Mats are always busy, but with current travel restrictions and limited access to parks I’m sure that wont’ be an issue.

1 Like

I cannot tell you the number of people who have thought I was the greatest person on earth for passing along this laundry website. People think I’m a Disney super genius. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Probably one of the top things I’ve ever learned being part of TP.

3 Likes

My take on this is to avoid midday breaks unless you want to do laundry or pack double outfits for every day. I can deal with being sweaty, but I absolutely will not put my stinky, sweaty clothes back on after a swim break.

That said, if Pop is anything like AoA, the laundry is by the main pool. So you can start a load or 2, swim for an hour, switch your laundry and then swim some more. If you’re nice like me you’ll let your wife take a nap while you do the laundry, swim and have a drink by the pool.

4 Likes

I will also say this: I did have a tangentially bad experience at the laundry at AoA.

I was in there early and doing my laundry (I stayed in there). A washing machine stopped. Within 5 seconds a woman opened it, through the clothes on the counter and put her load in. I saw her do this with a dryer as well. No time at all was given for whomever loads of laundry those were to move them on their own. And the washing machine person (who was in within 10 minutes of the machine stopping) was really mad.

This was also before the laundry website. So hopefully this doesn’t happen too much anymore.

2 Likes

Some people are just jerks. If one hadn’t stopped, she probably would have just stopped one and pulled out the wet, dirty clothes.

4 Likes

This was us at POR also, mere steps away. Altho the laundry is not far from the main pool at WL. I’m trying to recall other laundries but it must be too early.

Laundry time is pool time. I’ve had empty machines at mid afternoon, mid week. Just chilling by the pool while the machines work, works for me.

I’ve never had a wonderful dryer at Disney. Pretty much won’t allow kids to bring denim. Adults risk having no dry pants to wear if they insist on bringing jeans. I’m not hanging by the pool for more than one dryer time. Waiting on a dryer doesn’t work. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, dryers are not good. although this seems to be the case for most hotels and such. Gotta get you to pay for the additional dry cycle! :grin:

1 Like

We had one dryer that was so bad. I want to say it was at Beach Club. That dryer was given at least 3 chances to get those jeans dry.

DH was on duty that trip or there’d been fewer dryer cycles.

We have photos photos with jeans in the background hanging in the room. Took days to dry. That was a loong time ago. We’ve had better. But not awesome.

1 Like

The trick to shorten the dry time is to use more machines and balance the items. A load with heavy jeans and thick cotton socks will take longer to dry than a load that is well mixed. Spread the love - shorten the dry time - spend a couple extra bucks to have some more free time not obsessing over whether they are dry or not.

And, never, ever put shoes in the Disney dryers. They kick open the dryer doors and stop the drying. (Don’t ask me how I know! LOL) Bring an extra pair of shoes kids. :rofl:

2 Likes

I tend to be a night owl rather than early morning person with the laundry (my kids are younger though, so the whole family is usually up earlier and then I stay up for a bit while they go to bed earlier). Laundry at WL was super convenient for us - right off the elevators and was easy for me to get back and forth to (and enjoy fireworks on the balcony while I was waiting!).

2 Likes

Our one and only Disney World trip was in January 2012. We were leaving early on a Saturday morning and the week before had a huge snow storm (for us) and the power was out for days. We had to bring dirty clothes on our trip and wash them when we got to Forida! We were staying in a VRBO with my brother and SIL so thankfully this wasn’t an issue. I was so stressed out thinking I would have to pack by flashlight as I was at work all day and it gets dark here by 4:30 in January. Luckily, the power came back on late Friday and I was able to pack with light. But a mixture of clean and dirty clothes. :rofl:

2 Likes