The Trip Where I Turn 50 In The Same Year As Magic Kingdom!

Since I’m in the 2-week countdown and things are feeling locked in (for the most part…just a couple of this-or-that’s left), I figured it’s time to start my trip report! :smiley:

Cast: Me! I’m Beth. Lifelong lover of all things Disney, recent-ish lover of things Marvel. :slight_smile: I teach Special Ed in Brooklyn, NY so I’m on summer break!! Whee!!! Other friends will be joining at various times, but it’s another fabulous solo trip!

The Plan:
July 18, I’ll fly down to Orlando from Newark at 4:55pm and stay at the MCO Hyatt. I did this the first time in February and it was great - no stress about would my morning flight get in on time (I seem to always end up with the crew that didn’t get in on time and has to complete their rest on the first flight out of the morning.), how long is the line for DME, etc. I was initially on an earlier flight on the 18th, but my new church has been closed for renovations that started before COVID and is just finishing up and will be holding the first in-person service on July 18. Yes, it’s at 10am and yes, it’s a United Methodist Church (of the Reconciling variety), but by changing to the 4:55pm flight I’ve got plenty of time to get the train from Penn Station and AirTrain from the Newark Airport station. I treated myself to First Class since it’s for my big birthday! Whee!!

July 19 - Arrival at Disney and Magic Kingdom
Get up early (I was absent the day they handed out “sleep in ability” genes, so this is not a big deal), eat a protein bar in my room, and head to DME really early to head to my resort. After much debating, to-ing and fro-ing, changes galore, I finally settled on Coronado Springs. I’m booked into a Standard View room (not Tower), but that’s all good. Room request has been submitted via the form on here.
I know the odds of having my room ready that early are slim to none, but after the Magic Band needing to be linked debacle in February at the Poly, I’m planning to head to the desk to make sure the 2-3 that I’m planning to use are linked. Odds are high I’ll be checking my bags with bell services after that - but on the off chance that I get lucky and my room is ready, I’ll drop the bags there. Then either way I’ll head to the busses (probably going to a stop via El Mercado to get a refillable mug) and head to the Magic Kingdom. I’m doing lunch at Whispering Canyon with my friend Cristen and her boyfriend Scott - I’m not sure yet if we’re meeting up in MK before we head over or if we’ll meet at the boat or what that plan is. Back to MK after lunch, and I’ve got dinner at Skipper Canteen (yes, I’m planning on lunch being lighter - this is my one day with 2 TS meals planned).

July 20 - THE day!! Animal Kingdom!!
Get up and have some coffee, then head out to get the first bus to AK as I have Capture Your Moment booked at 8:00am. Definitely planning on taking a change of clothes with me to change out of photo clothes and put them in a locker. 9:20 ADR at Tusker House. And I’m planning to close out the evening in Pandora - going to try and time Satu’li so that I can eat and then just before park close get in line for Flight.

July 21 - Epcot
Lunch at LeCellier. I’m planning to head back to CSR for Three Bridges - hopefully IN the restaurant, but I’ll do take out if I have to. (Don’t worry…I’ll get Epcot Forever in.)

July 22 - Disney Springs/Epcot
Lunch at Boathouse. Then I’m going to hopefully meet up with multiple friends either at Disney Springs in the afternoon and/or at Epcot to hit F&W booths and catch Epcot Forever. (We had initially discussed renting a theater at the Springs AMC and seeing In The Heights - but they don’t do private rentals on Thursday there for some reason. :frowning: But it will work out this way.) Those who want to hang the whole time can and those who can only make one or the other can.

July 23 - Animal Kingdom
Standard AK day. :slight_smile: Dinner at Tiffins.

July 24 - Magic Kingdom
Head over to MK in the morning. I’m planning to boat over to Poly to get my meatballs and rice from Capt. Cook’s. And then head over to the GF to see a friend do a set or two on the lobby piano. The timing is up in the air - lunch will be fairly early as I do have a dinner ADR…well, 2 that I am deciding between. One is at Citricos. The new menu looks good and the things I would eat look like they either are or can be adapted to be gluten-free - but they don’t have an allergy menu posted yet. I’m keeping an eye on that. If I decide to keep that one, I’ll likely go back to MK (I’ll likely take my photo shoot outfit and get a locker and change before dinner regardless of which place I choose - but definitely if I choose Citricos) after lunch and then go back to catch one of Chris’ sets closer to my dining time and get a drink at Enchanted Rose. OR I’ll catch his earliest set, head back to MK for a bit, and then head to SSR via bus and walk over to Disney Springs for dinner at Jaleo. The more I think about it, I think I’m leaning towards Plan A (back to MK after meatballs, then a later set by Chris, drink at Enchanted Rose, and dinner at Citricos). Jaleo is reserved on Open Table, so I can cancel that one last minute.

July 25 - Disney Springs and departure
Get up, finish packing, check the bags with Bell Services, and head to Disney Springs. Brunch at either Raglan Road or Wine Bar George (leaning WBG, but I do love Ireland, so…), and then going to the WDW Radio Meet of the Month (which is the whole reason I added a night) before doing any last minute shopping and then heading back to Coronado Springs for the Tragical Express.

I’m super excited for this one!!! I feel like I’ve been planning forever!!

27 Likes

That sounds amazing!!! I can’t wait to read the trip report! (Although, as I always say, no pressure, do what you can, and live in the magic while you’re there!)

And by the way, you don’t look a day over 24. Special ed suits you!!! :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

7 Likes

We’re heading to Universal for HHN and Animal Kingdom for my actual 40th birthday day in mid-September, so I really want to know what you think of your “Capture the Moment”! Cuz I’m thinking I might want to add it for our day at AK too…
Happy, happy birthday (early)!!! Can’t wait to hear all about your awesome trip!

3 Likes

Can’t wait to follow along!

2 Likes

Trip sounds amazing!

3 Likes

Sounds pretty perfect to me! I would love to spend my 50th solo at WDW. I don’t think DH and the kids would be too happy though :joy:

4 Likes

That sounds like a great trip!!! Have a wonderful time!

3 Likes

Your trip sounds wonderful! I am sure you will have the best birthday!

3 Likes

Sounds like you have everything planned out! I don’t know why I never thought to stay at the MCO Hyatt, but seeing so many people here on the forum do it as of late is making me think it may be a great idea.

Is getting a table at 3 bridges really difficult? We were thinking of going there in Sept

4 Likes

It seems to vary. Sometimes it seems to be easy-ish. Other times it seems like if you don’t get on the waiting list as soon as they open (which you can only do on CSR property as I understand it) you can’t get in. (Though I wonder if that is a case of it saying “waitlist is full” because it is for the moment but then opens up later.) Hopefully being solo and willing to sit at the bar will help.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I’ll be sure to have a backup plan just in case.

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’ll definitely update on here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a fabulous plan!!

1 Like

I am contemplating changing the 24th to Studios with a plan of getting there for rope drop and staying until 2:30/3, then taking the bus to GF to catch a set by Chris before dinner (still TBD - Sarah from Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW and her husband are going to Citricos opening weekend so once she posts the menu I will have a better idea - though the Taste of Florida specialty item at Jaleo looks to be safe and delicious too).

I really only want to do Tower, MMRR, Muppets, and maybe RnRC (depending on my mood that day). Do you think those 3-4 things would be doable with 5.5/6 hours in the park?

1 Like

You could easily do those rides in that time period. RD MMRR, then do ToT/RnR and end with MV3D.

1 Like

What about seating at the bar? As a solo traveler that might be a good option

1 Like

At Three Bridges? Definitely open to that!

1 Like

Thanks! I wasn’t sure how doable things would be.

1 Like

Decided to keep MK for the 24th. I’m slated in for an OTF class at 6:55am, so to get back to CSR and showered would make it hard/impossible to get to Studios for rope drop. If I decide to drop the OTF class and Studios is still available when I’m there, I might change. But I just feel like if I am not there at RD it will be difficult, even with only the few things I’m interested in.

2 Likes

She’s not going on the trip - she has her favorite sitter coming in each day - but this is my fur kid. Princess Flerken Merida Gamora Kamala. :slight_smile:

(Obliging the “cute kid pics” crowd!)

Studios looks to be back on for the 24th. This morning’s OTF was a rough one for some weird reason. I thought I had eaten enough before - but maybe I skimped on some protein yesterday? IDK. I did ok on the treadmill but started feeling off during the first floor block. Then during the second I cut my finger on the weight rack and went out to get a band-aid. Started feeling more off, like low blood sugar or something. The desk workers felt horrible as they usually have mints out for people but they were out. I sat in the lobby for the rest of that block but finished with the core block. I’m thinking I will end up canceling the classes in Celebration with all the walking I’ll be doing so… The 24th may remain a guessing game…but for now the park reservation is Studios.

12 Likes