Mic drop.
I’m horrified.
In 2019 WHO USES PEANUT FLOUR?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:GoOd GriEf :astonished:
What a mess. Thank God he’s ok!!

1 Like

Wait, wait. I know this one.

Hostess. :slight_smile:

We check the labels every time, because so many products we buy will switch suppliers, etc. But the Hostess thing took my son completely off guard since he had eaten them so many times in the past.

And it wasn’t even a case of “May contain”. It was actually listed in the ingredients: peanut flour.

In fact, you’d think Hostess was going out of their way to kill people with allergies. Here is the ingredients list off the box:

I guess if you’re going to make something an allergy nightmare you may as well throw in all your agents.

Day Three: Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios

We made it out the door a little after 8 AM, hopped on a bus, and were at Animal Kingdom by 8:40 for a 9:00 opening. We had FPPs for Flight of Passage later, so the plan was to take the much more leisurely stroll to Navi River first thing before heading to Asia. Since we were taking the path of least resistance, we were able to stop and take some pictures in front of the Tree of Life and in front of the floating mountains of Pandora. We enjoyed the peaceful float down Navi River. It’s a calm and beautiful ride, but I wouldn’t wait more than a few minutes for it. Riding first thing with no wait is ideal.

With Navi complete, we walked as far as we could toward Asia before waiting for official park-wide rope drop time. It was now time for me to face my fears and ride Expedition Everest (see nervous picture below). I have always been a chicken, and my poor parents spent years being frustrated with my cowardice at amusement parks. I’m finally, at age 41, starting to face my fears and try things that have always scared me. I had decided that on this trip I would ride at least two rides I had never done before: EE and Rockin’ Roller Coaster. Tower of Terror was still a huge maybe, but I was committed to EE and RnRC. I got nervous walking through the queue, and then even more so when DH and I got seated in the front row! I had really dreaded that tall ascent up the mountain, thinking I would be terrified by the height of it. But it was such a beautiful view I wasn’t even afraid! And then the ride was so much fun, even if the backwards part was terrifying (and definitely feels like you are going upside down even though I know you are not). I liked it so much that DD and I rode it two more times in a row! Success!

We headed to Dinosaur next, and it was DH’s first ride. Afterwards he said, “I’m not sure what to think about that one.” LOL. It’s a pretty unique ride, and one that I enjoy quite a bit, although I always wonder what the chances are of ending up with a concussion by knocking heads with the person next to you. You really get thrown around on that ride. (Pic below is from a later ride that afternoon–I just like how DD has discovered where the camera is. LOL.) After Dinosaur we did Safari with our second FPP (the first was ride #3 on EE). Lots of giraffes (and baby giraffes!!!), which are my favorite.

By the time we finished Safari, it was time for our Flight of Passage FPP. Even though DH can’t ride, I got him a FPP both Animal Kingdom days so that either DD or I could ride it a second time. DH doesn’t care that much about the rides, so he doesn’t feel like he’s missing out on getting the chance to ride something else instead. And luckily for me, DD didn’t want to ride solo, so I got to do FOP twice in a row! On my solo ride, the CM was looking for a single rider and I got to skip ahead of about 100 people. It was a fantastic feeling. :slight_smile:

While I was riding the second time, DH and DD ordered lunch at Satuli. We all love the food there, and honestly I think it’s as good or better than many of the TS meals. Even with getting to skip ahead of bunch of riders, my second ride on FOP was a long wait. By the time I exited the ride, DH and DD were done eating, and it was almost time for the next Lion King show to start. Luckily I’m a fast eater, so I scarfed down my meal in 5 minutes flat and we were off to the Lion King. DD and I hadn’t seen this show in 11 years, and DH had never seen it. We were pretty late getting there so we were seated way at the top, but we all enjoyed the show and were glad we had hustled over there. And I learned that giraffes making a bleating sound. Weird!

DH was ready for a break, so he headed back to the resort while DD and I powered on. We did Everest again with a FPP I picked up, then walked over to Africa for a snack/drink stop. DD got the Lion King ice cream and I got the POG/Jungle Juice cocktail at Dawa Bar. Yummmmm. DD wanted an Instagram-worthy picture of her with the ice cream. Teenagers crack me up. Before leaving Animal Kingdom, we snagged a last FPP for Dinosaur. Unfortunately just as we were getting close to board, the ride had a temporary shutdown. Apparently someone had dropped a purse during the ride. The CM explained that while they normally don’t stop a ride for lost items, her bag fell out at a place that might interfere with the operation of the ride, so they had to go retrieve it. After about a 15-minute delay (see annoyed picture below), we were on our way back through time (with my backpack extra securely stowed!) before heading back to the Boardwalk.

A short break and quick shower later, we were on our way to Hollywood Studios. We decided to walk, and pretty quickly regretted that decision. It’s a great walk in the morning when your feet don’t hurt and it’s not a billion degrees yet, but I think I’d rather take the boat in the late afternoon. I had managed to get a FPP for Toy Story Mania, so we headed to Toy Story Land first. Last year I dominated this ride but it seemed that DH and DD must have figured out how to practice between visits because DD killed me every single time. DH even managed to beat me once on this trip, which doesn’t sound all that impressive, but if you’d seen his scores last summer you’d understand my surprise.

Dinner was at 50s Primetime Cafe, which I had been looking forward to for the entire year since our last visit. THEY HAVE GLUTEN-FREE FRIED CHICKEN, Y’ALL. And not just gluten-free fried chicken, but gluten-free fried chicken that somehow is also egg, dairy, and soy-free. It is an extreme rarity to find something like that, as most GF fried chicken is still soaked in buttermilk or dipped in egg to get the breading to stick. This delightful allergy-friendly food of the gods is not listed on the allergy menu, so you have to know about its mysterious existence to order it. Also, it can take a long time to cook, due to the need to heat up dedicated fryers, so it’s recommended that you stop in or call the restaurant at least an hour before your meal to let them know you’re planning on ordering it. I didn’t get the chance to pre-order this time, so I warned my family they might be in for a bit of a wait. (Important question: people keep telling me I can call the restaurant, but is there a way to actually do this? I mean, a way to call the restaurant and not the general Disney line with a 30-minute wait?)

We were seated at one of the TV tables and I was thrilled! Cousin Ryan our server told us to keep our elbows off the table, so of course DH and DD rebelled in various ways. DD stuck to the letter of the law but certainly not the spirit of it, while DH just flat-out disobeyed. I kept hoping he’d get sent to the corner, but it never happened. Cousin Ryan took my fried chicken order, but then came out a couple of minutes later to tell me that the fried chicken had soy in it. I was pretty devastated, as I really had been looking forward to this particular meal for a whole year. I told him I’d need to speak to a chef since nothing listed on the allergy menu works for all of my allergies. The chef came out, and a comedy of errors ensued. “Hi, I’m here to speak to you about your allergies,” he said. “Yes, thank you,” I replied, thinking he would then guide the conversation. An awkward silence followed instead. “I’m wondering what you could make for me, since everything on the allergy menu has some ingredient I can’t eat in it,” I said, attempting to get the ball rolling. “The fries have soy in them, so I’d have to substitute something for them,” he said. I was really confused at this point because I’d never ordered fries to begin with or mentioned them in this conversation. The chef was also confused, and the conversation seemed stuck. DH decided to jump in to clarify: “You’re here because the fried chicken has soy in it and we need to figure out what she can eat instead.” Now the chef looked even more perplexed: “The fried chicken is fine. I can make that for her, I just can’t give her fries. She’d need another side.” Apparently the whole thing was a huge misunderstanding. Cousin Ryan had gone back to the kitchen to double-check that the fried chicken was safe for me, and had yelled, “Does the fried chicken have soy in it?” to the chef who, not able to hear much over the noise of the kitchen, had misheard “fries” instead of “fried.” Once we had established that I wanted fried chicken, not fries, and would take whatever veggie would normally come with the fried chicken, we were good to go. The chef didn’t look particularly amused, but we all thought it was pretty funny. And my chicken was absolutely delicious.

After dinner DH and I wanted to see the Frozen Sing-Along, although DD wasn’t thrilled at the idea. Let’s just say that DH and I are both choir folks, so you know we’re going to sing along. That’s humiliating enough for a teenager. But additionally DH is a VERY LOUD singer who enjoys intentionally embarrassing her. DH and I prevailed, we got great seats close to the stage, and the historians were hilarious. DH and I sang along with gusto, while DD managed to keep her eye-rolling to a minimum. I managed to catch her laughing and having a good time in spite of herself out of the corner of my eye.

Having gotten the chance to belt out “Let it Go!” surrounded by a chorus of strangers, DH decided he’d accomplished enough for the day, so he headed back to the resort. DD and I picked up a FPP for Star Tours, then got in line to ride Slinky a few minutes before park closing. Even though we were doing TSL EMM the next morning, we really wanted to ride Slinky once at night. It’s a great ride in the daytime, but at night the lights make it extra special. We probably ended up waiting 30 minutes or so. A fantastic end to our day!

Total steps: 26,356
Total rides/attractions: 15

7 Likes

Your faces crack me up :rofl: I’m glad you got your fried chicken!

1 Like

great pic of you and DD in front of woody - tsl looks great at night!

1 Like

Great trip report so far!

I had never planned for TSL at night (and definitely won’t make it this trip…with EEEEEEEMH, that would be too much HS for me)…so now I need to find a way to get this into the January trip! It looks great from your pictures!